If I have a 4 port switch and on that switch I have 4 computers connected.

Now if the computer on port 1 and transferring a 10GB file from a computer
on port 4 the switch would direct traffic only on those 2 arms (port 1 and
4).

Now if the computer on port 2 needed to talk to the computer on port 3, can
this communication occur at the same time? Or must there be a break in
traffic on ports 1 and 4?

What about if the computer wanted to talk to a computer that is connected on
another switch (which is connected to this switch via a gigabit link)?

Thanks.

--
James Collins
Technical Officer