I am travelling for an extended period, and I have 2 computers in my
vehicle. One (PC#1) is a desktop type, the other (PC#2) is a laptop.
Both run XP Pro.

PC#1 has a PCI wireless card with a high-gain antenna. PC#2 has a
PCMCIA wireless card with a rather poor built-in antenna.

>From time to time, we access the Internet by the simple expedient of

searching for an unencryted wireless signal, and (usually), an Internet
connection on the other side of it.

Most often, because of the physical distance from the host, I can get a
reasonable signal from PC#1, but not PC#2.

My question is, how can I access the Internet connection from PC#2,
through PC#1? I have a second (USB) wireless adapter in PC#1, so I
tried setting up an adhoc wireless network between PC#2 and the USB
adapter. This worked fine for file access between the two computers,
but I only had Internet access from PC#1.

I then implemented Internet Connection Sharing on the PCI card in PC#1,
and specified that the home network used the USB adapter. The problem
is that most of the networks that I "borrow" are set up to give out IP
addresses in the ICS range (192.168.0.x). PC#1, effectively my
internal router, sees a conflict of IP addresses.

My specific questions are:

1) Assuming that the unknowing host gives my PC#1 an arbitrary IP
address in the ICS range, and that my PC#1 gives PC#2 an arbitrary but
different address in that same range, should this work? (It doesn't,
but maybe I am doing something else wrong).

2) Is there another Internet connection sharing method that doesn't
need to use 192.168.x.x (and doesn't require extra hardware / expense)?
If so, is there any other reason why setting up PC#1 as an internal
router shouldn't work?

3) Any other suggestions about how I might solve the problem? Again,
without additional hardware / expense!

TIA,

Linda