Newby Going Insane! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Newby Going Insane! - Connectivity ; Hi. I don't know if anyone can help, or point me in the direction of a man who can, as the saying goes, but I'm seriously tearing my hair out, after an entire day of being messed around by my ...

  1. Newby Going Insane!

    Hi.
    I don't know if anyone can help, or point me in the direction of a man who
    can, as the saying goes, but I'm seriously tearing my hair out, after an
    entire day of being messed around by my home network setup.

    Basically, here's the profile. A couple of months ago I bought a broadband
    adsl router and two wireless cards, one for each of the pc's at home. The
    router is plugged into the phone socket downstairs, and mine and my
    girlfriend's pc's are upstairs, in our respective offices. When I try and
    connect both pc's to the router, using their wireless cards, and no
    security, everything is fine.

    If I try and set up some kind of encription, be it WPA or WEP based,
    suddenly, things go wrong. One PC uses XP, and the other Win2K, but I
    downloaded a WPA utility for the Win2K machine, so it should cope.

    Just taking the one machine, the XP one, for simplicity's sake, I keep
    having trouble connecting to the router. Everything's fine, I'm all
    connected, and then I'll go to send an email or something, and Outlook will
    report, 'couldn't find server'. When I check in the system tray, my
    wireless icon says 'not connected'. If I call up the 'view available
    wireless' box, I can see my router listed, and when I click on it it says
    disconnected in the status section, but then, further down, it says 'you are
    connected to this netowrk. to disconnect, click' etc etc etc. The icon in
    the system tray claims 'not connected', but the available wireless list
    tells me I can only disconnect. Confusing? I have gained access to my
    router, and disabled the security, by restoring factory settings and
    configuring the WAN connection all over again, but the problem persists.
    About once every five minutes I just get kicked off the router. I run a
    software firewall, sygate, as well as the router's inherent firewall, and
    wonder if this is anything to do with the problem.

    I don't know a great deal about networking or wireless connectivity, and the
    router's mannual is crap, it's a D-Link. The same thing just keeps
    happening though. I'll establish a connection, go off and do some work,
    come back, and hey, I'm disconnected. Sometimes it will simply reconnect of
    it's own free will, sometimes not, sometimes I have to start from scratch by
    restoring the defaults on the router. And this is all without even turning
    the other pc on.

    I know this is a bit vague, but the mannual, as I say, is rubbish, and I'm
    not quite sure where to go for help. I wonder if there's a third party
    software sweet, other than Windows default networking software, that I could
    install on each of the two machines to administor and run the network and
    router connections, that might prove easier and better. Any ideas?
    Sometimes I can't get a page on Internet Explorer, and can't connect to my
    email server using Outlook, even though the icon in the system tray claims
    to be connected. It's just a total mystery to me. Even, as I say, when I
    disable all the security through a router reboot, and only try and connect
    with the one pc, it all still goes on.

    All I want to do is set up the router and two pc's, each with a wireless
    card, so taht each can access the router independantly of each other,
    regardless of whether both machines are on or off. I didn't know it would
    be so complex. Has this rambling rubbish made any sense, and can anyone
    help? Thanks.

  2. Re: Newby Going Insane!

    You might take a look here for info on a similar problem ...

    http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1080251780.html

    > From: "The Crow"
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity
    > Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:48:17 +0100
    > Subject: Newby Going Insane!
    >
    > Hi.
    > I don't know if anyone can help, or point me in the direction of a man who
    > can, as the saying goes, but I'm seriously tearing my hair out, after an
    > entire day of being messed around by my home network setup.
    >
    >>>SNIP

    > All I want to do is set up the router and two pc's, each with a wireless
    > card, so taht each can access the router independantly of each other,
    > regardless of whether both machines are on or off. I didn't know it would
    > be so complex. Has this rambling rubbish made any sense, and can anyone
    > help? Thanks.

  3. Re: Newby Going Insane!

    Firstly I'm new to this wireless gear myself but once I realised that for
    one computer hooked up to a wireless router & then that is hooked up to the
    Internet & that these two connections are totally independent of each other
    my problems went away.
    When your computer reports "connected", that means it is connected to the
    lan (LOCAL area network). The second connection is just a WIRED connection
    to the internet via WAN (WIDE area network).
    It is obvious to me that this is where your problem is.
    I'd go over & double check ALL your settings to make sure you have your
    ISP's required settings in exactly as they suggest. Are you sure you have
    the line plugged into the right UNFILTERED side of the filter?
    BruceM

+ Reply to Thread