Is this a cable fault? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Is this a cable fault? - Connectivity ; We're just upgrading our network from the good old 10BaseT to 100BaseT which i thought would be easy as we already had CAT5 cable already installed - change the NICs and the switch and we'd be up and running....... Here's ...

  1. Is this a cable fault?

    We're just upgrading our network from the good old 10BaseT to 100BaseT
    which i thought would be easy as we already had CAT5 cable already
    installed - change the NICs and the switch and we'd be up and
    running.......

    Here's my problem.... every PC on the network is fine except 1.

    I've moved the PC to another location where i know the network works
    and it seems fine, so i've deduced it to be a cable fault.... However,
    i'm now on my 3rd cable (around 20m in length) and it still doesn't
    work... The only way i can get it to work is to throttle the NIC down
    to 10Mbps.

    Does anyone know the reason for this?

    Cheers

    Dave

  2. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    In article <1095939338.15089.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>, nospam@nospam.com
    says...
    > We're just upgrading our network from the good old 10BaseT to 100BaseT
    > which i thought would be easy as we already had CAT5 cable already
    > installed - change the NICs and the switch and we'd be up and
    > running.......
    >
    > Here's my problem.... every PC on the network is fine except 1.
    >
    > I've moved the PC to another location where i know the network works
    > and it seems fine, so i've deduced it to be a cable fault.... However,
    > i'm now on my 3rd cable (around 20m in length) and it still doesn't
    > work... The only way i can get it to work is to throttle the NIC down
    > to 10Mbps.
    >
    > Does anyone know the reason for this?

    You seem to indicate that you are using 20m patch cables connected to a
    jack on the wall at the location where the system doesn't work. If you
    are connecting to a jack on the wall (or anything other than directly to
    the switch) then you could have several problems:

    1) Reseat the patch cable at the panel/network switch.

    2) Use a cable tester to make sure the full path from the patch panel to
    the destination jack is wired correctly. Faulty connections may work at
    10, but not at 100.

    3) Change the patch panel connection at the network switch to a
    different jack on the network switch.

    Total distance for a spec drop is 90m max, are you going past this?

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

  3. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <1095939338.15089.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>,
    > nospam@nospam.com says...
    > > We're just upgrading our network from the good old 10BaseT to
    > > 100BaseT which i thought would be easy as we already had CAT5 cable
    > > already installed - change the NICs and the switch and we'd be up
    > > and running.......
    > >
    > > Here's my problem.... every PC on the network is fine except 1.
    > >
    > > I've moved the PC to another location where i know the network works
    > > and it seems fine, so i've deduced it to be a cable fault....
    > > However, i'm now on my 3rd cable (around 20m in length) and it
    > > still doesn't work... The only way i can get it to work is to
    > > throttle the NIC down to 10Mbps.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know the reason for this?

    > You seem to indicate that you are using 20m patch cables connected to
    > a jack on the wall at the location where the system doesn't work. If
    > you are connecting to a jack on the wall (or anything other than
    > directly to the switch) then you could have several problems:
    >
    > 1) Reseat the patch cable at the panel/network switch.
    >
    > 2) Use a cable tester to make sure the full path from the patch panel
    > to the destination jack is wired correctly. Faulty connections may
    > work at 10, but not at 100.
    >
    > 3) Change the patch panel connection at the network switch to a
    > different jack on the network switch.
    >

    > Total distance for a spec drop is 90m max, are you going past this?

    Sorry, the cable is going straight from the PC to the switch, we've no
    use for patch panels as we've only got a few PCs.

  4. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    "David Peake" wrote in message
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1095939338.15089.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>,
    > > nospam@nospam.com says...
    > > > We're just upgrading our network from the good old 10BaseT to
    > > > 100BaseT which i thought would be easy as we already had CAT5 cable
    > > > already installed - change the NICs and the switch and we'd be up
    > > > and running.......
    > > >
    > > > Here's my problem.... every PC on the network is fine except 1.
    > > >
    > > > I've moved the PC to another location where i know the network works
    > > > and it seems fine, so i've deduced it to be a cable fault....
    > > > However, i'm now on my 3rd cable (around 20m in length) and it
    > > > still doesn't work... The only way i can get it to work is to
    > > > throttle the NIC down to 10Mbps.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know the reason for this?

    > > You seem to indicate that you are using 20m patch cables connected to
    > > a jack on the wall at the location where the system doesn't work. If
    > > you are connecting to a jack on the wall (or anything other than
    > > directly to the switch) then you could have several problems:
    > >
    > > 1) Reseat the patch cable at the panel/network switch.
    > >
    > > 2) Use a cable tester to make sure the full path from the patch panel
    > > to the destination jack is wired correctly. Faulty connections may
    > > work at 10, but not at 100.
    > >
    > > 3) Change the patch panel connection at the network switch to a
    > > different jack on the network switch.
    > >

    > > Total distance for a spec drop is 90m max, are you going past this?

    > Sorry, the cable is going straight from the PC to the switch, we've no
    > use for patch panels as we've only got a few PCs.

    Try a diferent port in the switch, ip one op the "connector pins" is
    dammaged it might cause the problem.
    Steven

  5. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    Steven Hook wrote:

    > "David Peake" wrote in message
    > > Leythos wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <1095939338.15089.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>,
    > > > nospam@nospam.com says...

    > > > You seem to indicate that you are using 20m patch cables
    > > > connected to a jack on the wall at the location where the system
    > > > doesn't work. If you are connecting to a jack on the wall (or
    > > > anything other than directly to the switch) then you could have
    > > > several problems:
    > > >
    > > > 1) Reseat the patch cable at the panel/network switch.
    > > >
    > > > 2) Use a cable tester to make sure the full path from the patch
    > > > panel to the destination jack is wired correctly. Faulty
    > > > connections may work at 10, but not at 100.
    > > >
    > > > 3) Change the patch panel connection at the network switch to a
    > > > different jack on the network switch.
    > > >

    > > > Total distance for a spec drop is 90m max, are you going past
    > > > this?

    > > Sorry, the cable is going straight from the PC to the switch, we've
    > > no use for patch panels as we've only got a few PCs.

    > Try a diferent port in the switch, ip one op the "connector pins" is
    > dammaged it might cause the problem.
    > Steven

    Already tried different ports, still no joy :-( Tried all 4 ports with
    a pc that works and the one that doesn't.

  6. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    > Steven Hook wrote:
    >

    > > "David Peake" wrote in message

    > > > Sorry, the cable is going straight from the PC to the switch, we've
    > > > no use for patch panels as we've only got a few PCs.

    > > Try a diferent port in the switch, ip one op the "connector pins" is
    > > dammaged it might cause the problem.
    > > Steven

    > Already tried different ports, still no joy :-( Tried all 4 ports with
    > a pc that works and the one that doesn't.

    I know this is a stretch but does the cable run near any power cables or
    transformers or anything else that could produce EMI (Electro Magnetic
    Interfarence)?
    Heve you tried another PC (one that otherwise works) in that location on
    that cable?
    Steven

  7. Re: Is this a cable fault?

    Steven Hook wrote:

    > "David Peake" wrote in message
    > > Steven Hook wrote:
    > >

    > > > "David Peake" wrote in message

    > > > Try a diferent port in the switch, ip one op the "connector pins"
    > > > is dammaged it might cause the problem.
    > > > Steven

    > > Already tried different ports, still no joy :-( Tried all 4 ports
    > > with a pc that works and the one that doesn't.
    > >

    > I know this is a stretch but does the cable run near any power cables
    > or transformers or anything else that could produce EMI (Electro
    > Magnetic Interfarence)?
    > Heve you tried another PC (one that otherwise works) in that location
    > on that cable?
    > Steven

    I don't know what i've done..... but it's working!! Think we got some
    gremlins here!

    Thanks for your help

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread