10/100/1000 - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 10/100/1000 - Connectivity ; Anyone have any comments on the higher speed networking?...

  1. 10/100/1000

    Anyone have any comments on the higher speed networking?

  2. Re: 10/100/1000

    Gilbert Pence wrote:

    > Anyone have any comments on the higher speed networking?

    Depends on what you want the network to do.....

    1. 10baseT is old and difficult to obtain now and pretty much defunct

    2. 100baseT is the current standard networking speed, equipment and
    cards are cheap and will work on Cat5 cable and is pretty good for most
    networks

    3. 1000Base - the new standard which enterprises are installing but
    hasn't made it down to the SMEs yet. Tho i have seen some keenly priced
    stuff - it's still not cheap enough.... give it a year or so.... Also
    only useful if you're using a lot of bandwidth on your network such as
    media etc.

    That's my two peneth

    Regards

    Dave

  3. Re: 10/100/1000

    >> Anyone have any comments on the higher speed networking?
    >
    > Depends on what you want the network to do.....
    >
    > 1. 10baseT is old and difficult to obtain now and pretty much defunct
    >
    > 2. 100baseT is the current standard networking speed, equipment and
    > cards are cheap and will work on Cat5 cable and is pretty good for most
    > networks
    >
    > 3. 1000Base - the new standard which enterprises are installing but
    > hasn't made it down to the SMEs yet. Tho i have seen some keenly priced
    > stuff - it's still not cheap enough.... give it a year or so.... Also
    > only useful if you're using a lot of bandwidth on your network such as
    > media etc.

    I will agree here. 100BaseT is really cheap now.

    1000BaseT is starting to roll out (I am starting to look at it direct to
    desktop) especially for roaming profiles, etc.

    --
    James Collins
    Technical Officer

    Ph. 07 4050 8203