Home Network Probs - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Home Network Probs - Connectivity ; OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me... Setup: PC1 - Windows XP Pro PC2 - Windows 98SE Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also connected to the hub. ...

  1. Home Network Probs

    OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me...

    Setup:

    PC1 - Windows XP Pro
    PC2 - Windows 98SE

    Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also connected
    to the hub. The router acts as DHCP server at 192.168.1.1 and allocates IP
    to 98SE machine, but XP machine has static IP of 192.168.1.13 and gateway as
    192.168.1.1 as a programme on this PC needs to have port forwarding set up
    on the modem so it needs a static IP address... 98SE has auto IP enabled
    and is allocated by the router DHCP server from the range 192.168.1.x

    Both PC's are part of the same workgroup - MSHOME

    Both PC's work fine with the modem/router, and can access the internet fine.
    Both have same user logon and passwords set, and XP also has Guest account
    active.

    Now to the problem - neither PC can see the other in network
    place/neighbourhood... XP machine does not log the network drive, yet if
    you go into My Computer and click on the shared network drive from the other
    PC it will come up OK, and I can even save a file to it....

    Go to Network Neighbourhood on 98SE and it doesn't see the XP machine. Try
    a search for the XP machine and it doesn't find it.... If I run a search on
    XP machine it will find the 98 PC, but I have to actually search for it it
    doesn't show up automatically in network places - and if you select
    "Workgroup" it only shows the XP machine.....

    YES, I have run Network Setup Wizard on both machines SEVERAL times.

    I'd really like to get this working so I can see the other computers on the
    network, as I'm about to connect another 98SE machine to the network (if I
    can get the damn thing to work!!!)

    TIA

  2. Re: Home Network Probs

    Two comments that might not help you!
    Will NOT show up if you don't have anything "shared". Make sure you have a
    file or something in each shared folder.
    Before you get angry boot each computer at least twice. Sounds silly but it
    won't hurt you..........!!
    Let us (me) know how you get on?
    BruceM

    "Martin" wrote in message
    > OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me...
    >
    > Setup:
    >
    > PC1 - Windows XP Pro
    > PC2 - Windows 98SE
    >
    > Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also

    connected
    > to the hub. The router acts as DHCP server at 192.168.1.1 and allocates IP
    > to 98SE machine, but XP machine has static IP of 192.168.1.13 and gateway

    as
    > 192.168.1.1 as a programme on this PC needs to have port forwarding set up
    > on the modem so it needs a static IP address... 98SE has auto IP enabled
    > and is allocated by the router DHCP server from the range 192.168.1.x
    >
    > Both PC's are part of the same workgroup - MSHOME
    >
    > Both PC's work fine with the modem/router, and can access the internet

    fine.
    > Both have same user logon and passwords set, and XP also has Guest account
    > active.
    >
    > Now to the problem - neither PC can see the other in network
    > place/neighbourhood... XP machine does not log the network drive, yet if
    > you go into My Computer and click on the shared network drive from the

    other
    > PC it will come up OK, and I can even save a file to it....
    >
    > Go to Network Neighbourhood on 98SE and it doesn't see the XP machine.

    Try
    > a search for the XP machine and it doesn't find it.... If I run a search

    on
    > XP machine it will find the 98 PC, but I have to actually search for it it
    > doesn't show up automatically in network places - and if you select
    > "Workgroup" it only shows the XP machine.....
    >
    > YES, I have run Network Setup Wizard on both machines SEVERAL times.
    >
    > I'd really like to get this working so I can see the other computers on

    the
    > network, as I'm about to connect another 98SE machine to the network (if I
    > can get the damn thing to work!!!)
    >
    > TIA

  3. Re: Home Network Probs

    "BruceM" wrote in message
    > Two comments that might not help you!
    > Will NOT show up if you don't have anything "shared". Make sure you have a
    > file or something in each shared folder.
    > Before you get angry boot each computer at least twice. Sounds silly but
    > it
    > won't hurt you..........!!
    > Let us (me) know how you get on?
    > BruceM

    Yep - there are shared folders on each and XP has a shared printer. If I
    open up 'my computer' on the XP, at the bottom it shows me the network
    drives from the other PC, but they show as Disconnected Network Drive (they
    should map at startup, but don't), yet if I double click on the network
    drive it will come up and I can save files to it...

    However, from the 98SE if I open up Network Neighbourhood the XP machine
    isn't shown.....

    Also, if on XP I go to My Network Places and click on View Workgroup
    Computers the 98SE machine isn't shown in the workgroup.....

    Both machines have been re-booted several times - no change....

    ??????????????

    > "Martin" wrote in message
    >> OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me...
    >>
    >> Setup:
    >>
    >> PC1 - Windows XP Pro
    >> PC2 - Windows 98SE
    >>
    >> Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also

    > connected
    >> to the hub. The router acts as DHCP server at 192.168.1.1 and allocates
    >> IP
    >> to 98SE machine, but XP machine has static IP of 192.168.1.13 and gateway

    > as
    >> 192.168.1.1 as a programme on this PC needs to have port forwarding set
    >> up
    >> on the modem so it needs a static IP address... 98SE has auto IP enabled
    >> and is allocated by the router DHCP server from the range 192.168.1.x
    >>
    >> Both PC's are part of the same workgroup - MSHOME
    >>
    >> Both PC's work fine with the modem/router, and can access the internet

    > fine.
    >> Both have same user logon and passwords set, and XP also has Guest
    >> account
    >> active.
    >>
    >> Now to the problem - neither PC can see the other in network
    >> place/neighbourhood... XP machine does not log the network drive, yet if
    >> you go into My Computer and click on the shared network drive from the

    > other
    >> PC it will come up OK, and I can even save a file to it....
    >>
    >> Go to Network Neighbourhood on 98SE and it doesn't see the XP machine.

    > Try
    >> a search for the XP machine and it doesn't find it.... If I run a search

    > on
    >> XP machine it will find the 98 PC, but I have to actually search for it
    >> it
    >> doesn't show up automatically in network places - and if you select
    >> "Workgroup" it only shows the XP machine.....
    >>
    >> YES, I have run Network Setup Wizard on both machines SEVERAL times.
    >>
    >> I'd really like to get this working so I can see the other computers on

    > the
    >> network, as I'm about to connect another 98SE machine to the network (if
    >> can get the damn thing to work!!!)
    >>
    >> TIA

  4. Re: Home Network Probs

    Also forgot to mention - Windows Firewall is OFF

    "BruceM" wrote in message
    > Two comments that might not help you!
    > Will NOT show up if you don't have anything "shared". Make sure you have a
    > file or something in each shared folder.
    > Before you get angry boot each computer at least twice. Sounds silly but
    > it
    > won't hurt you..........!!
    > Let us (me) know how you get on?
    > BruceM
    >

    > "Martin" wrote in message
    >> OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me...
    >>
    >> Setup:
    >>
    >> PC1 - Windows XP Pro
    >> PC2 - Windows 98SE
    >>
    >> Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also

    > connected
    >> to the hub. The router acts as DHCP server at 192.168.1.1 and allocates
    >> IP
    >> to 98SE machine, but XP machine has static IP of 192.168.1.13 and gateway

    > as
    >> 192.168.1.1 as a programme on this PC needs to have port forwarding set
    >> up
    >> on the modem so it needs a static IP address... 98SE has auto IP enabled
    >> and is allocated by the router DHCP server from the range 192.168.1.x
    >>
    >> Both PC's are part of the same workgroup - MSHOME
    >>
    >> Both PC's work fine with the modem/router, and can access the internet

    > fine.
    >> Both have same user logon and passwords set, and XP also has Guest
    >> account
    >> active.
    >>
    >> Now to the problem - neither PC can see the other in network
    >> place/neighbourhood... XP machine does not log the network drive, yet if
    >> you go into My Computer and click on the shared network drive from the

    > other
    >> PC it will come up OK, and I can even save a file to it....
    >>
    >> Go to Network Neighbourhood on 98SE and it doesn't see the XP machine.

    > Try
    >> a search for the XP machine and it doesn't find it.... If I run a search

    > on
    >> XP machine it will find the 98 PC, but I have to actually search for it
    >> it
    >> doesn't show up automatically in network places - and if you select
    >> "Workgroup" it only shows the XP machine.....
    >>
    >> YES, I have run Network Setup Wizard on both machines SEVERAL times.
    >>
    >> I'd really like to get this working so I can see the other computers on

    > the
    >> network, as I'm about to connect another 98SE machine to the network (if
    >> can get the damn thing to work!!!)
    >>
    >> TIA

  5. Re: Home Network Probs

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Martin wrote:

    >However, from the 98SE if I open up Network Neighbourhood the XP machine
    >isn't shown.....
    >
    >Also, if on XP I go to My Network Places and click on View Workgroup
    >Computers the 98SE machine isn't shown in the workgroup.....

    Your experience is interesting and is similar to an experience of mine
    today. I've just bought a Sony Vaio A115Z for my daughter. I set it up
    on my home network yesterday and it worked fine, BUT the Vaio was in a
    group called WORKGROUP whereas all the others are in HOMEGROUP. This
    morning I changed the Vaio from WORKGROUP to HOMEGROUP and am now
    experiencing problems similar to yours.

    Here is my setup:

    2 PCs running WIN98SE Computer names: Eleanor and David
    1 Compaq laptop running WIN ME Computer name: Compaq

    There is also an old DOS machine running Lantastic. Computer Name:
    Ichthus
    To connect with this I'm running Lantastic on Eleanor as well as
    Microsoft.

    Compaq and Eleanors-laptop are connected by wireless to an access point,
    the rest are connected to a wired network

    The Vaio is called Eleanors-laptop, but I don't think that the
    similarity of names is a problem.

    Now then, if I click Network Neighbourhood (My Network places) on
    Eleanor without Eleanors-laptop running, then all the other computers
    show up. When I start Eleanors-laptop all disappear except Ichthus
    (which is running Lantastic) but Eleanors-laptop does appear.

    If I do the same on David and Compaq then all disappear and
    Eleanors-laptop appears.

    But on Eleanors-laptop all the others (except Ichthus, of course) show
    up.

    However after a few minutes, all the others do appear and all works
    normally. But there is an additional problem: the wireless connection
    between Eleanors-laptop and the access point keeps dropping out although
    the signal is excellent! Yesterday it didn't!

    I had put it down to a problem between WP and 98SE. I'll put
    Eleanors-laptop back into WORKGROUP and I fully expect the problem to
    disappear because yesterday with that configuration everything worked
    perfectly. HOMEGROUP and WORKGROUP showed up on David, Eleanor and
    Compaq and the computers appeared within those groups.

    I've got used to there being problems between different Microsoft
    versions. I have a problem with IPX not negotiating well between WIN98SE
    and DOS5/DOS6. It takes thirty seconds to negotiate and then all is
    well!

    David

    | Internet: david.rance@rance.org.uk | writing from |
    | Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
    | BBS: telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

  6. Re: Home Network Probs

    I thank everyone that responded. I've managed to get things working,
    although I have absoltely no idea what the hell I did!!

    After reconfiguring everything several times and then putting it all back
    the way it was, somehow it started working, although I think the solution
    may have been in the user names...

    Although both PC's had the same user names and passwords active, I reset
    these and now things seem to work..

    ?????????????????

    One thing for sure - I found it MUCH easier to network two 98SE machines
    that to network an XP machine - says a lot for 'better' technology!!

    Cheers

    "Martin" wrote in message
    > OK - I'm at my wits end here so hopefully someone can help me...
    >
    > Setup:
    >
    > PC1 - Windows XP Pro
    > PC2 - Windows 98SE
    >
    > Both PC's are connected via a hub, with an ADSL Modem/Router also
    > connected to the hub. The router acts as DHCP server at 192.168.1.1 and
    > allocates IP to 98SE machine, but XP machine has static IP of 192.168.1.13
    > and gateway as 192.168.1.1 as a programme on this PC needs to have port
    > forwarding set up on the modem so it needs a static IP address... 98SE
    > has auto IP enabled and is allocated by the router DHCP server from the
    > range 192.168.1.x
    >
    > Both PC's are part of the same workgroup - MSHOME
    >
    > Both PC's work fine with the modem/router, and can access the internet
    > fine. Both have same user logon and passwords set, and XP also has Guest
    > account active.
    >
    > Now to the problem - neither PC can see the other in network
    > place/neighbourhood... XP machine does not log the network drive, yet if
    > you go into My Computer and click on the shared network drive from the
    > other PC it will come up OK, and I can even save a file to it....
    >
    > Go to Network Neighbourhood on 98SE and it doesn't see the XP machine.
    > Try a search for the XP machine and it doesn't find it.... If I run a
    > search on XP machine it will find the 98 PC, but I have to actually search
    > for it it doesn't show up automatically in network places - and if you
    > select "Workgroup" it only shows the XP machine.....
    >
    > YES, I have run Network Setup Wizard on both machines SEVERAL times.
    >
    > I'd really like to get this working so I can see the other computers on
    > the network, as I'm about to connect another 98SE machine to the network
    > (if I can get the damn thing to work!!!)
    >
    > TIA

+ Reply to Thread