forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me? - Connectivity ; Hi, I was just wondering how uPNP helps me? I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger so if UPNP doesn't help me ...

  1. forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

    Hi,

    I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?

    I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
    problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger

    so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the point?
    i don't get it

    thanks

  2. Re: forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

    "Koolaid" wrote:

    >I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
    >problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger
    >
    >so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the point?
    >i don't get it

    Are you sure uPnP is activated on the router? It doesn't always default to
    activated.

    Are you sure you have the services turned on in your computer? In addition to
    uPnP, there's also a discovery service that needs to be on.

    Finally, do you have a software firewall running? Not all firewalls listen to
    uPnP.

  3. Re: forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

    "Koolaid" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?

    It allows anything whether good or bad to control your firewall. The first
    thing I do is turn it off...

    > I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
    > problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger
    >
    > so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the

    point?
    > i don't get it
    >
    > thanks

  4. Re: forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

    In article , George says...

    > It allows anything whether good or bad to control your firewall. The first
    > thing I do is turn it off...

    If you have anything bad on your side of the router, turning off UPnP is
    futile. If you don't have anything bad on your side of the router, leaving
    UPnP on is helpful in some cases.

    I have it on. Nothing bad on my side of the router. Nothing from the
    Internet side can access my router for UPnP control.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

  5. Re: forgive me for my stupidity, but how does upnp help me?

    The problem that you have could be related to the MTU size, as your ISP is
    AOL, change MTU to 1400....

    Should work.

    "Koolaid" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was just wondering how uPNP helps me?
    >
    > I have Windows XP and a UPNP Router and UPNP DSL Modem but I still have
    > problems sending files with MSN Messenger and AOL Messenger
    >
    > so if UPNP doesn't help me send files thru a firewall, then whats the

    point?
    > i don't get it
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread