I am at my wits end guys! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on I am at my wits end guys! - Connectivity ; I am at my wits end guys!! I have a Paradyne 6381 A2 200 DSL Modem and I have NTS DSL which uses DHCP for a Dynamic IP. I also have a Netgear WGR614 v3 router. I want to be ...

  1. I am at my wits end guys!

    I am at my wits end guys!!

    I have a Paradyne 6381 A2 200 DSL Modem and I have NTS DSL which uses DHCP
    for a Dynamic IP. I also have a Netgear WGR614 v3 router.

    I want to be able to connect my wireless router but I plug the DSL Modem out
    into the netgear uplink, and nothing. It won't obtain an IP, nothing. I
    called the ISP and they said if you touch the modem's settings it will be
    $150 to send a technician out! They offered no other help.

    I tried to create a New Connection in the router's settings to use DHCP and
    it won't obtain an IP from the DSL.

    All I can do is set it to Bridge.

    I want the DSL Modem to NAT to my Netgear which will NAT again :-D. Or if it
    can be a bridge, I want it to bridge to my Netgear.

    I just need a firewall guys!!! The router even includes a firewall but my
    ISP won't tell me how to set it up. I don't get it. I thought they would
    support the modem!

    IT WORKED JUST FINE WHEN I HAD A CABLE MODEM! :'(

    :-\ Thanks Guys

  2. Re: I am at my wits end guys!

    You probably need to identify the modem MAC address and tell the router to
    clone it.

    "Koolaid" wrote in message
    >I am at my wits end guys!!
    >
    > I have a Paradyne 6381 A2 200 DSL Modem and I have NTS DSL which uses DHCP
    > for a Dynamic IP. I also have a Netgear WGR614 v3 router.
    >
    > I want to be able to connect my wireless router but I plug the DSL Modem
    > out
    > into the netgear uplink, and nothing. It won't obtain an IP, nothing. I
    > called the ISP and they said if you touch the modem's settings it will be
    > $150 to send a technician out! They offered no other help.
    >
    > I tried to create a New Connection in the router's settings to use DHCP
    > and
    > it won't obtain an IP from the DSL.
    >
    > All I can do is set it to Bridge.
    >
    > I want the DSL Modem to NAT to my Netgear which will NAT again :-D. Or if
    > it
    > can be a bridge, I want it to bridge to my Netgear.
    >
    > I just need a firewall guys!!! The router even includes a firewall but my
    > ISP won't tell me how to set it up. I don't get it. I thought they would
    > support the modem!
    >
    > IT WORKED JUST FINE WHEN I HAD A CABLE MODEM! :'(
    >
    > :-\ Thanks Guys

  3. Re: I am at my wits end guys!

    "Nobody" wrote in message
    > You probably need to identify the modem MAC address and tell the router to
    > clone it.

    My DSL Modem MAC address ??

    I still don't understand why my ISP won't give me VCI, VPI, Encapsulation,
    all those specification things

+ Reply to Thread