Swithces on a business network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Swithces on a business network - Connectivity ; I hope someone can provide some direction for me in my attempt to upgrade our network. I work in a retail environment with 3 POS computers and 8 other computers throughout the store. We are using 10base2 coax cabling, but ...

  1. Swithces on a business network

    I hope someone can provide some direction for me in my attempt to upgrade
    our network. I work in a retail environment with 3 POS computers and 8
    other computers throughout the store. We are using 10base2 coax cabling,
    but we need higher bandwidth so I am changing to 100baseTX with CAT5e. It
    is quite difficult to run individual cables from each station to 1 switch in
    the back room (the layout of the store mostly). So I was wondering if it is
    possible to run the 3 POS into 1 switch and run a 100 ft. CAT5e cable from
    there to the 8 port switch in the back. All the other computers are in the
    back room and I will use another smaller switch to connect 3 computers in
    the office to the same 8 port switch. Will all the computers and POS still
    be able to access each other in a peer-to-peer network with so many
    switches? I cannot seem to find anything about this and about the allowable
    distances between switches. Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you very much
    Dave

  2. Re: Swithces on a business network

    Yes, you can do what you describe.

    Only limit is from node to node is 100 meters on cat5. Run cable from switch
    to switch.

    One thing to remember though is that you want to have as few possible points
    of failure in a network, in other words, get the job done with the least
    amount of nodes

    "David A. Campbell" wrote in message
    >I hope someone can provide some direction for me in my attempt to upgrade
    > our network. I work in a retail environment with 3 POS computers and 8
    > other computers throughout the store. We are using 10base2 coax cabling,
    > but we need higher bandwidth so I am changing to 100baseTX with CAT5e. It
    > is quite difficult to run individual cables from each station to 1 switch
    > in
    > the back room (the layout of the store mostly). So I was wondering if it
    > is
    > possible to run the 3 POS into 1 switch and run a 100 ft. CAT5e cable
    > from
    > there to the 8 port switch in the back. All the other computers are in
    > the
    > back room and I will use another smaller switch to connect 3 computers in
    > the office to the same 8 port switch. Will all the computers and POS
    > still
    > be able to access each other in a peer-to-peer network with so many
    > switches? I cannot seem to find anything about this and about the
    > allowable
    > distances between switches. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you very much
    > Dave

+ Reply to Thread