Help - Network Probs - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Help - Network Probs - Connectivity ; Hi All I hope this is the right group to post to, if not maybe someone can tell me which is more suitable. I'm having some problems setting up a small home network, and I'm stumped (which isn't hard!)... So ...

  1. Help - Network Probs

    Hi All

    I hope this is the right group to post to, if not maybe someone can tell me
    which is more suitable. I'm having some problems setting up a small home
    network, and I'm stumped (which isn't hard!)... So hopefully someone here
    with more knowledge can help.

    So far 2 PC's (eventually will be 3 PC's) connected via Accton 8 port hub.
    1st PC running Win XP Pro, 2nd (and 3rd) running Win 98SE. XP machine
    running ADSL via NetCom NB1300 on USB.

    OK - so I've run network setup wizard on both machines as per win xp
    instructions, and configured for internet connection sharing. From XP
    machine I can see the 98SE pc and log onto shared folders/etc. From 98SE pc
    I can see the XP pc from network neighborhood, but I can't 'log on' to it,
    or to any shared resources (i.e. printer). It either asks for the password,
    or gives me 'unknown error 31'. The XP machine does not have a password
    active on any user account, and I have tried with the 98 pc logging on using
    the same user name, and a different name.

    So, that's problem 1...

    Problem 2 - the ICS isn't working!!

    Current situation with ICS - with ZoneAlarm Pro OFF, Windows ICF ON, the 98
    pc will check & send e-mail, but will not load web pages. (of course if I
    switch on ZA it wont do anything!! anyone know what settings solve this?).
    Disabling ICF doesn't change anything (according to windows help ICF
    shouldn't interfere with ICS)....

    Before anyone asks - I tried connecting the NB1300 to the hub so it would
    share with both pc's, which it is suppose to do, but when set up like this
    it didn't like having both pc's on - it would allocate an IP only to one pc
    (DHCP). From the manual it (apparently) should work on the hub and auto
    allocate an IP for each PC....????....??? With the modem on the hub I
    could get the 98 pc to work on the internet, but then when i switch on the
    XP it isn't allocated a valid IP by the modem so it doesn't work..... I
    also tried connecting it to the hub AND the XP USB (again, the manual says
    both connectors can be used simultaneoulsy) but it still suffers the same
    problem.....

    So, any comments? I don't really care if the adsl modem is connected via
    the XP and ICS, or to the hub and shared by each pc... as long as it all
    works!!!!

    TIA

  2. Re: Help - Network Probs

    "here's johnny!" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I hope this is the right group to post to, if not maybe someone can tell

    me
    > which is more suitable. I'm having some problems setting up a small home
    > network, and I'm stumped (which isn't hard!)... So hopefully someone here
    > with more knowledge can help.
    >
    > So far 2 PC's (eventually will be 3 PC's) connected via Accton 8 port hub.
    > 1st PC running Win XP Pro, 2nd (and 3rd) running Win 98SE. XP machine
    > running ADSL via NetCom NB1300 on USB.
    >
    > OK - so I've run network setup wizard on both machines as per win xp
    > instructions, and configured for internet connection sharing. From XP
    > machine I can see the 98SE pc and log onto shared folders/etc. From 98SE

    pc
    > I can see the XP pc from network neighborhood, but I can't 'log on' to it,
    > or to any shared resources (i.e. printer). It either asks for the

    password,
    > or gives me 'unknown error 31'. The XP machine does not have a password
    > active on any user account, and I have tried with the 98 pc logging on

    using
    > the same user name, and a different name.
    >
    > So, that's problem 1...

    OK - I've managed to solve problem 1 by re-creating user names on both
    machines with a password, plus I finally found the Microsft tech report re
    same problem on Win 2k, so the above + activating the Guest account on XP
    seems to have solved the problem...... Damn - been through all that before
    but obviously not in the right way!!!!

    So, problem 2 still exists as below - solutions??

    > Problem 2 - the ICS isn't working!!
    >
    > Current situation with ICS - with ZoneAlarm Pro OFF, Windows ICF ON, the

    98
    > pc will check & send e-mail, but will not load web pages. (of course if I
    > switch on ZA it wont do anything!! anyone know what settings solve

    this?).
    > Disabling ICF doesn't change anything (according to windows help ICF
    > shouldn't interfere with ICS)....
    >
    > Before anyone asks - I tried connecting the NB1300 to the hub so it would
    > share with both pc's, which it is suppose to do, but when set up like this
    > it didn't like having both pc's on - it would allocate an IP only to one

    pc
    > (DHCP). From the manual it (apparently) should work on the hub and auto
    > allocate an IP for each PC....????....??? With the modem on the hub I
    > could get the 98 pc to work on the internet, but then when i switch on the
    > XP it isn't allocated a valid IP by the modem so it doesn't work..... I
    > also tried connecting it to the hub AND the XP USB (again, the manual says
    > both connectors can be used simultaneoulsy) but it still suffers the same
    > problem.....
    >
    > So, any comments? I don't really care if the adsl modem is connected via
    > the XP and ICS, or to the hub and shared by each pc... as long as it all
    > works!!!!
    >
    > TIA

  3. Re: Help - Network Probs

    "here's johnny!" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I hope this is the right group to post to, if not maybe someone can tell

    me
    > which is more suitable. I'm having some problems setting up a small home
    > network, and I'm stumped (which isn't hard!)... So hopefully someone here
    > with more knowledge can help.
    >
    > So far 2 PC's (eventually will be 3 PC's) connected via Accton 8 port hub.
    > 1st PC running Win XP Pro, 2nd (and 3rd) running Win 98SE. XP machine
    > running ADSL via NetCom NB1300 on USB.
    >
    > OK - so I've run network setup wizard on both machines as per win xp
    > instructions, and configured for internet connection sharing. From XP
    > machine I can see the 98SE pc and log onto shared folders/etc. From 98SE

    pc
    > I can see the XP pc from network neighborhood, but I can't 'log on' to it,
    > or to any shared resources (i.e. printer). It either asks for the

    password,
    > or gives me 'unknown error 31'. The XP machine does not have a password
    > active on any user account, and I have tried with the 98 pc logging on

    using
    > the same user name, and a different name.
    >
    > So, that's problem 1...
    >
    > Problem 2 - the ICS isn't working!!
    >
    > Current situation with ICS - with ZoneAlarm Pro OFF, Windows ICF ON, the

    98
    > pc will check & send e-mail, but will not load web pages. (of course if I
    > switch on ZA it wont do anything!! anyone know what settings solve

    this?).
    > Disabling ICF doesn't change anything (according to windows help ICF
    > shouldn't interfere with ICS)....
    >
    > Before anyone asks - I tried connecting the NB1300 to the hub so it would
    > share with both pc's, which it is suppose to do, but when set up like this
    > it didn't like having both pc's on - it would allocate an IP only to one

    pc
    > (DHCP). From the manual it (apparently) should work on the hub and auto
    > allocate an IP for each PC....????....??? With the modem on the hub I
    > could get the 98 pc to work on the internet, but then when i switch on the
    > XP it isn't allocated a valid IP by the modem so it doesn't work..... I
    > also tried connecting it to the hub AND the XP USB (again, the manual says
    > both connectors can be used simultaneoulsy) but it still suffers the same
    > problem.....
    >
    > So, any comments? I don't really care if the adsl modem is connected via
    > the XP and ICS, or to the hub and shared by each pc... as long as it all
    > works!!!!
    >
    > TIA

    The proper way would be to use a router between the Cable/DSL modem and the
    hub. The router acts as the gateway, DHCP server and gives out IP addresses
    to anyghing connected to your network. ICS will work but nowhere near as
    good as using a router. Also you will need to turn off ICF as this is not
    intended to be used on a LAN.

    Danny
    www.CarwileEnterprises.com

+ Reply to Thread