XP not accessable!! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on XP not accessable!! - Connectivity ; Hi, I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes and 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the other 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate ...

  1. XP not accessable!!

    Hi,

    I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes and
    1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the other
    2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes and
    the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
    permission to access.

    Any ideas?

    TIA,

    Richard Wright

  2. Re: XP not accessable!! with 2000

    I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100, all
    patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My laptop
    is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to be
    able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get it
    to work?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Best,
    Stephen

    "Richard Wright" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes

    and
    > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the

    other
    > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes and
    > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
    > permission to access.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Richard Wright

  3. Re: XP not accessable!! with 2000

    "Step" wrote in message
    > I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100,

    all
    > patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My

    laptop
    > is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to be
    > able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get

    it
    > to work?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Best,
    > Stephen

    More than likely it's still looking for the domain controller at your
    office. You will probably have to go into the network properties and change
    it to connect to your home network "workgroup", what ever you named it. If
    this is a company machine I wouldn't suggest this as you may not be able to
    get back on your work domain unless you have administrative rights. I
    worked at Ericsson for a couple of years and employees would remove their
    pc's from the domain but didn't have local admin rights to the machine so
    they couldn't add their pc back to the domain. Also you will have to have
    identical accounts on the 2 xp machines with the same Username and Password
    as you are logging onto the 2000 laptop.
    Hope this helped

    Danny
    www.CarwileEnterprises.com

    > "Richard Wright" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000 nodes

    > and
    > > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the

    > other
    > > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes

    and
    > > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not have
    > > permission to access.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > Richard Wright

  4. Re: XP not accessable!! with 2000

    Thanks very much for the assistance. As you probably guessed, I'm very new
    at networking. You are correct about my work laptop, I do not want to
    change the domain as it is a pain to get back on it. As another option,
    could I do VPN or some type of PPTP (point to point tunneling protocol)
    instead? My main goals are to be able to 1. send backups onto my (larger
    HD) desktops regularly in case my laptop dies again, and 2. to occasionally
    print while at home.
    I will take your advice on the XP comps, and see if I can at least get them
    to talk to each other. Right now I am running Zone Alarm, so I think that
    might be why they can't see each other (they're on the same workgroup, and
    show up themselves in network places, but the other comp does not show up,
    nor can I ping it - dhcp is not making that any easier). I will post later
    when I have messed with that a little.
    Any advice on the VPN idea would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for
    your help.
    TIA,
    Stephen

    "Danny C" wrote in message
    news:41409898$0$10709$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.co m...

    > "Step" wrote in message
    > > I am having a similar issue. I have a win2k laptop (dell inspiron 8100,

    > all
    > > patched up), and 2 XP home desktops (1 emachine and 1 "Monster"). My

    > laptop
    > > is on a domain at work, but I bring it home in the evenings and want to

    be
    > > able to share files and printers between the computers. Why can't I get

    > it
    > > to work?
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Best,
    > > Stephen

    > More than likely it's still looking for the domain controller at your
    > office. You will probably have to go into the network properties and

    change
    > it to connect to your home network "workgroup", what ever you named it.

    If
    > this is a company machine I wouldn't suggest this as you may not be able

    > get back on your work domain unless you have administrative rights. I
    > worked at Ericsson for a couple of years and employees would remove their
    > pc's from the domain but didn't have local admin rights to the machine so
    > they couldn't add their pc back to the domain. Also you will have to have
    > identical accounts on the 2 xp machines with the same Username and

    Password
    > as you are logging onto the 2000 laptop.
    > Hope this helped
    >
    > Danny
    > www.CarwileEnterprises.com
    >

    > > "Richard Wright" wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a mixed network of Windows XP & 2000 nodes. All 3 Win2000

    nodes
    > > and
    > > > 1 XP node communicate with no problems, but can't communicate with the

    > > other
    > > > 2 XP nodes, but these 2 XP nodes can communicate with the 3 2000 nodes

    > and
    > > > the one XP node. The error message states that these nodes do not

    have
    > > > permission to access.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > >
    > > > Richard Wright

  5. Re: XP not accessable!! with 2000

    VPN can be a headache, but if you just need to send and rec files, then
    another way to do that .... via parallel cable or a null modem cable
    (welcome back to the dark ages)...LOL
    ..

    KK

+ Reply to Thread