Wireless network WEP Problem (Windows XP) - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Wireless network WEP Problem (Windows XP) - Connectivity ; I have been wrestling with this problem for several days and have 'Googled' it to death with no answer. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on what is wrong and point me to a solution. I am at my ...

  1. Wireless network WEP Problem (Windows XP)

    I have been wrestling with this problem for several days and have
    'Googled' it to death with no answer. Perhaps someone here can shed
    some light on what is wrong and point me to a solution. I am at my wits
    end and really need help.

    First, I have a DSL connection to a Zoom X5 modem/router. To that are
    connected one PC (XP Home) via an Ethernet cable and one Lynksys WAP 11
    access point. A Compaq Presario (XP Pro) connects to the WAP 11 through
    its built in wireless device. XP's firewall on both machines is
    disabled. Static IP addressing is used on both machines. DHCP is off on
    the WAP 11.

    All work just as I expected. I can connect to the internet from both
    machines through the DSL connection and share files between the machines
    with no problem AS LONG AS WEP IS DISABLED on the WAP 11.. However, if
    I enable WEP
    for either 64 or 124 bit encryption, I can neither access the internet
    nor share files between the two machines. The Wireless Connection
    Status/Support shows Invalid IP Address with WEP enabled and Manual
    Configured without it so it doesn't seem to be a 'key' problem.

    I have tried two other combinations of routers/access points as well as
    other computers with wireless adapters and still have the same
    problem -- No WEP = success, WEP = failure.

    Please give me any help you can.

    Thank you very much.

  2. Re: Wireless network WEP Problem (Windows XP)

    When you enable WEP I'm assuming you do generate the encryption key
    and enter it into your wirless connection settings on the router
    right?

    Also, when you enable WEP, does the hard wired PC still get on the
    internet or do you lose connectivity on that machine too?

    E-Mail me and I'm positive I can help you out.

    Dale Karthauser A+, Network+, CCNA, MCSE
    dale@grepico.com

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:32:12 -0400, "Jack Gillis"
    wrote:

    >I have been wrestling with this problem for several days and have
    >'Googled' it to death with no answer. Perhaps someone here can shed
    >some light on what is wrong and point me to a solution. I am at my wits
    >end and really need help.
    >
    >First, I have a DSL connection to a Zoom X5 modem/router. To that are
    >connected one PC (XP Home) via an Ethernet cable and one Lynksys WAP 11
    >access point. A Compaq Presario (XP Pro) connects to the WAP 11 through
    >its built in wireless device. XP's firewall on both machines is
    >disabled. Static IP addressing is used on both machines. DHCP is off on
    >the WAP 11.
    >
    >All work just as I expected. I can connect to the internet from both
    >machines through the DSL connection and share files between the machines
    >with no problem AS LONG AS WEP IS DISABLED on the WAP 11.. However, if
    >I enable WEP
    >for either 64 or 124 bit encryption, I can neither access the internet
    >nor share files between the two machines. The Wireless Connection
    >Status/Support shows Invalid IP Address with WEP enabled and Manual
    >Configured without it so it doesn't seem to be a 'key' problem.
    >
    >I have tried two other combinations of routers/access points as well as
    >other computers with wireless adapters and still have the same
    >problem -- No WEP = success, WEP = failure.
    >
    >Please give me any help you can.
    >
    >Thank you very much.

+ Reply to Thread