running server from behind a router - Connectivity

This is a discussion on running server from behind a router - Connectivity ; My configuration is : win XP home running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4, web server running on port 80 Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment runs fine and is accessible from the outside ...

  1. running server from behind a router

    My configuration is :
    win XP home
    running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    web server running on port 80
    Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment

    runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
    ADSL modem ( no router or hub)

    with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
    that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
    accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    http://localhost and http://computername

    I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where to
    start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this

    if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
    the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..

    thanks in advance

  2. Re: running server from behind a router

    took 2 mins to locate this:

    http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a20.htm
    http://www.billion.com/support/faq/faq-a21.htm

    "chris" wrote in message news:4107d24c@funnel.arach.net.au...
    > My configuration is :
    > win XP home
    > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > web server running on port 80
    > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
    >
    > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
    > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    >
    > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
    > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
    > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > http://localhost and http://computername
    >
    > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where to
    > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    >
    > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
    > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    >
    > thanks in advance

  3. Re: running server from behind a router

    i have now actually found some instructions that were great

    thanks anyway

    i tried all sorts of things but i didnt set up the NIC on my computer
    correctly - as it turnes out it wasnt to do with the actual router
    thanks again

    "chris" wrote in message
    > My configuration is :
    > win XP home
    > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > web server running on port 80
    > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
    >
    > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
    > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    >
    > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
    > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
    > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > http://localhost and http://computername
    >
    > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where

    > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    >
    > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
    > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    >
    > thanks in advance

  4. Re: running server from behind a router

    what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
    PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
    X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..

    Cory

    "chris" wrote in message
    > My configuration is :
    > win XP home
    > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > web server running on port 80
    > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
    >
    > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use an
    > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    >
    > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to free
    > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it is
    > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > http://localhost and http://computername
    >
    > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know where

    > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    >
    > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots of
    > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    >
    > thanks in advance

  5. Re: running server from behind a router

    i have managed to get it running

    and setup the dns etc

    however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if i
    goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok

    from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP

    why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???

    i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to get
    it going so far

    Thanks

    however if someone goes to my domain name
    "Cory Wilkerson" wrote in message
    > what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
    > PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
    > X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
    >
    > Cory
    >
    > "chris" wrote in message
    > > My configuration is :
    > > win XP home
    > > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > > web server running on port 80
    > > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
    > >
    > > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use

    an
    > > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    > >
    > > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to

    free
    > > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it

    is
    > > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > > http://localhost and http://computername
    > >
    > > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know

    where
    > > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    > >
    > > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots

    of
    > > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    > >
    > > thanks in advance

  6. Re: running server from behind a router

    most adsl routers don't let your external request ie: http://domain.com/ work, as it treats you as a 'local internal connection' you could put domain.com into your hosts file and map into the LAN ip address of the server

    "chris" wrote in message news:410ea96a$1@funnel.arach.net.au...
    > i have managed to get it running
    >
    > and setup the dns etc
    >
    > however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if i
    > goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok
    >
    > from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP
    >

    > why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???
    >
    > i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to get
    > it going so far
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > however if someone goes to my domain name
    > "Cory Wilkerson" wrote in message
    > > what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat your
    > > PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
    > > X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
    > >
    > > Cory
    > >
    > > "chris" wrote in message
    > > > My configuration is :
    > > > win XP home
    > > > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > > > web server running on port 80
    > > > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the moment
    > > >
    > > > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use

    > an
    > > > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    > > >
    > > > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to

    > free
    > > > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it

    > is
    > > > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > > > http://localhost and http://computername
    > > >
    > > > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know

    > where
    > > > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    > > >
    > > > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots

    > of
    > > > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    > > >
    > > > thanks in advance

  7. Re: running server from behind a router

    that worked and i can now access dominan.com from the server computer

    BUT (isnt there always a but)

    i cannot access it from the other pc's on the network

    "chris" wrote in message
    > i have managed to get it running
    >
    > and setup the dns etc
    >
    > however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if

    > goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok
    >
    > from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP
    >

    > why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???
    >
    > i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to

    get
    > it going so far
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > however if someone goes to my domain name
    > "Cory Wilkerson" wrote in message
    > > what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat

    your
    > > PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
    > > X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
    > >
    > > Cory
    > >
    > > "chris" wrote in message
    > > > My configuration is :
    > > > win XP home
    > > > running apache 2.0.43, PHP 4,
    > > > web server running on port 80
    > > > Billion 5100 - 4 port router/DSL modem running on port 88 at the

    moment

    > > > runs fine and is accessible from the outside world on my IP when I use

    > an
    > > > ADSL modem ( no router or hub)
    > > >
    > > > with the billion router attached (set not to run on port 80 so as to

    > free
    > > > that port up) my server can not be accessed from the outside world, it

    > is
    > > > accessible from within the LAN on http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ ,
    > > > http://localhost and http://computername
    > > >
    > > > I know it has something to do with port forwarding but I don't know

    > where
    > > > start and what to configure in the router to accomplish this
    > > >
    > > > if there is anyone who thinks they can help and want some screen shots

    > of
    > > > the router admin interface I would be glad to send some to you..
    > > >
    > > > thanks in advance

  8. Re: running server from behind a router

    In article <410ff967$1@funnel.arach.net.au>, someone@here.com says...
    > that worked and i can now access dominan.com from the server computer
    >
    > BUT (isnt there always a but)
    >
    > i cannot access it from the other pc's on the network
    >

    > "Hostmaster (NS)" wrote in message
    > most adsl routers don't let your external request ie: http://domain.com/
    > work, as it treats you as a 'local internal connection' you could put
    > domain.com into your hosts file and map into the LAN ip address of the
    > server
    >
    > "chris" wrote in message
    > > i have managed to get it running
    > >
    > > and setup the dns etc
    > >
    > > however if i goto domain.com from within the lan i cant see the page - if

    > > goto localhost or private ip i can see it ok
    > >
    > > from the outside workld it i saccessable on tha domain.com or dedicated IP
    > >

    > > why cant i see it from within the lan by going to http://domain.com ???
    > >
    > > i have forwarded port 80 to my internal ip thats what i needed to do to

    > get
    > > it going so far
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > however if someone goes to my domain name
    > > "Cory Wilkerson" wrote in message
    > > > what it sounds like you need to do is change your nat policies to nat

    > your
    > > > PUBLIC IP to your webserver. so it would say anything on port 80 on IP
    > > > X.X.X.X nat to PRIVATE IP. that should be all..
    > > >
    > > > Cory
    > > >
    > > > "chris" wrote in message

    Put the machine and IP in THEIR hosts file!

+ Reply to Thread