Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network - Connectivity ; Hi, I've just started setting up a wireless network between my laptop and a desktop computer. Basically the wireless acess point is connected to the desktop via a network cable, which is in turn ,connnected to the broadband router via ...

  1. Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    Hi, I've just started setting up a wireless network between my laptop and a
    desktop computer. Basically the wireless acess point is connected to the
    desktop via a network cable, which is in turn ,connnected to the broadband
    router via usb. I have the network up and running, can share broadband
    connections and can share files etc but I can't seem to get "remote desktop
    connections" running. Their both windows xp computers so there's no
    incompatability with the OS. Eventually I want to connect up a monster of a
    computer which I'm building which will "hopefully" overclock to around 4Ghz
    with 4Gb of ram. Of course, it'll need a huge and noisy cooling system and
    will probablyt take up residence in some obscure part of the house where I
    can keep the ambient temp really down too. Hence why I want to be able to
    get desktop connection running on it so I can download from the net etc at a
    faster speed than my poor little laptop will be able to handle.

    Has anyone done anything similar to this and what kind of problems have you
    had? Also, when I go to Remote in System Properties on both computers it
    shows the button for remote assistance but nothing for remote desktop like
    it shows on the microsoft website.

    Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me would be most apreciated!

    CJ

  2. Re: Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    In article , "CJ"
    cjoleary@gofree.indigo.ie says...
    > Hi, I've just started setting up a wireless network between my laptop and a
    > desktop computer. Basically the wireless acess point is connected to the
    > desktop via a network cable, which is in turn ,connnected to the broadband
    > router via usb. I have the network up and running, can share broadband
    > connections and can share files etc but I can't seem to get "remote desktop
    > connections" running. Their both windows xp computers so there's no
    > incompatability with the OS.

    > Eventually I want to connect up a monster of a
    > computer which I'm building which will "hopefully" overclock to around 4Ghz
    > with 4Gb of ram. Of course, it'll need a huge and noisy cooling system and
    > will probablyt take up residence in some obscure part of the house where I
    > can keep the ambient temp really down too.

    If you're serious about overclocking use watercooling and the noise
    needn't be excessive.

    > Hence why I want to be able to
    > get desktop connection running on it so I can download from the net etc at a
    > faster speed than my poor little laptop will be able to handle.

    Your laptop would have to be seriously lacking to have a negative
    influence on download speeds.

    > Has anyone done anything similar to this and what kind of problems have you
    > had? Also, when I go to Remote in System Properties on both computers it
    > shows the button for remote assistance but nothing for remote desktop like
    > it shows on the microsoft website.

    I guess you're running Windows XP Home, which doesn't have Remote
    Desktop. Try something like TightVNC instead - not quiet as slick but
    it's free and runs on just about anything.

  3. Re: Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    > Hence why I want to be able to
    > get desktop connection running on it so I can download from the net etc at

    > faster speed than my poor little laptop will be able to handle.

    If you're sharing your broadband to all machines, including your laptop,
    there will be no speed difference, even if your new machine was 20GHz!

    > Has anyone done anything similar to this and what kind of problems have

    you
    > had? Also, when I go to Remote in System Properties on both computers it
    > shows the button for remote assistance but nothing for remote desktop like
    > it shows on the microsoft website.

    XP Home can connect to a remote desktop, but cannot serve one (except in the
    case of Remote Assistance). Take a look at TightVNC (Google is your friend)

    HTH

    ---

  4. Re: Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    Thanks guys, it's really helped. I've got TightVNC up and running but there
    are still a couple of problems. Not sure if it's the setting or the way the
    program is. First, it seems that I can't transfer sounds to the remote
    computer! So, if I play music on the remote the sound doesn't come through
    onto my laptop. Also, when I go to full screen, the background expands but
    the icons and taskbar stay the same size. I'm running the remote computer
    with an 8 year old crt monitor which only has one size setting with xp so
    could that be it?
    I probably didn't explain properly why I was going to use the remote
    computer for broadband. I transfer large files (200 mb +) on a regular
    basis and I've found that a connection that's hard wired to my modem rather
    than over the wireless connection seems to have a smaller latency rating and
    is a much more reliable connection as I've found, on some days, the wireless
    can disconnect for a second or two and then resume or needs to be repaired
    periodically. Of course, of a large file download or upload that means the
    transfer is broken and I have to start all over again.

    Now if I could just get clear instructions about how to set up the security
    it'd be great! Every time I try to set it up I can't connect and the
    instructions that came with the Gigabyte acess point and lan card leave a
    lot (way too much in my case) to the imagination LOL! I live in the middle
    of nowhere in Ireland anyway so I'm not so worried about security. Unless
    the local sheep have a copy of net stumbler....
    But still, it's better to be safe etc.

    Can anyone recomend a site where I can get decent instructions on this?
    I've tried the local bookshops (about 6 of them) and none have a single book
    on networking and security.

    CJ

  5. Re: Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    In article , "CJ"
    cjoleary@gofree.indigo.ie says...
    > Thanks guys, it's really helped. I've got TightVNC up and running but there
    > are still a couple of problems. Not sure if it's the setting or the way the
    > program is. First, it seems that I can't transfer sounds to the remote
    > computer! So, if I play music on the remote the sound doesn't come through
    > onto my laptop.

    It won't do that.

    > Also, when I go to full screen, the background expands but
    > the icons and taskbar stay the same size. I'm running the remote computer
    > with an 8 year old crt monitor which only has one size setting with xp so
    > could that be it?

    The desktop objects will display "actual size". If you need to you can
    change them in the desktop properties of the remote computer.

    > I probably didn't explain properly why I was going to use the remote
    > computer for broadband. I transfer large files (200 mb +) on a regular
    > basis and I've found that a connection that's hard wired to my modem rather
    > than over the wireless connection seems to have a smaller latency rating and
    > is a much more reliable connection as I've found, on some days, the wireless
    > can disconnect for a second or two and then resume or needs to be repaired
    > periodically. Of course, of a large file download or upload that means the
    > transfer is broken and I have to start all over again.

    Maybe you should use software that supports resuming downloads.

  6. Re: Running "remote desktop connection" on a wireless network

    Your connection does not sound right.

    The incoming network connects to the "WAN" port of the router.

    One "LAN" port of the router connects to the desktop computer.

    Another (2nd) "LAN" port of the router connects to the Wireless Access
    point. The wireless access point and the desktop do not connect to each
    other at all.

    In order to get remote desktop or remote assistance running, port 3389
    has to be open on all devices. However, this normally isn't a problem
    if you are working entirely within the lan and not coming in from the
    Internet.

    CJ wrote:
    > Hi, I've just started setting up a wireless network between my laptop and a
    > desktop computer. Basically the wireless acess point is connected to the
    > desktop via a network cable, which is in turn ,connnected to the broadband
    > router via usb. I have the network up and running, can share broadband
    > connections and can share files etc but I can't seem to get "remote desktop
    > connections" running. Their both windows xp computers so there's no
    > incompatability with the OS. Eventually I want to connect up a monster of a
    > computer which I'm building which will "hopefully" overclock to around 4Ghz
    > with 4Gb of ram. Of course, it'll need a huge and noisy cooling system and
    > will probablyt take up residence in some obscure part of the house where I
    > can keep the ambient temp really down too. Hence why I want to be able to
    > get desktop connection running on it so I can download from the net etc at a
    > faster speed than my poor little laptop will be able to handle.
    >
    > Has anyone done anything similar to this and what kind of problems have you
    > had? Also, when I go to Remote in System Properties on both computers it
    > shows the button for remote assistance but nothing for remote desktop like
    > it shows on the microsoft website.
    >
    > Any help or suggestions that anyone can give me would be most apreciated!
    >
    > CJ

+ Reply to Thread