Wi-fi and wired routers - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Wi-fi and wired routers - Connectivity ; Hi, I need some help. I have two networks - one network is made up of a router (smc 7004vbr) with a dsl connection and two wired PC's in a home office in the garage. The second network is a ...

  1. Wi-fi and wired routers

    Hi,

    I need some help. I have two networks - one network is made up of a router
    (smc 7004vbr) with a dsl connection and two wired PC's in a home office in
    the garage.

    The second network is a wi-fi router (linksys model ?) with 2 PC's
    connected thru usb wi-fi adapters inthe home.

    I would like to use the wi-fi router as a bridge to the wired network thus
    allowing the pc's on the wi-fi access to the dsl connection.

    My first question is can this configuration work and if it can, how do I set
    it up?

    TIA,

    Rick

  2. Re: Wi-fi and wired routers

    Did you get this working Rick?

    Richard Wright wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some help. I have two networks - one network is made up of a router
    > (smc 7004vbr) with a dsl connection and two wired PC's in a home office in
    > the garage.
    >
    > The second network is a wi-fi router (linksys model ?) with 2 PC's
    > connected thru usb wi-fi adapters inthe home.
    >
    > I would like to use the wi-fi router as a bridge to the wired network thus
    > allowing the pc's on the wi-fi access to the dsl connection.
    >
    > My first question is can this configuration work and if it can, how do I set
    > it up?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Rick

  3. Re: Wi-fi and wired routers

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:31:04 -0700, "Richard Wright"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I need some help. I have two networks - one network is made up of a router
    >(smc 7004vbr) with a dsl connection and two wired PC's in a home office in
    >the garage.
    >
    >The second network is a wi-fi router (linksys model ?) with 2 PC's
    >connected thru usb wi-fi adapters inthe home.
    >
    >I would like to use the wi-fi router as a bridge to the wired network thus
    >allowing the pc's on the wi-fi access to the dsl connection.
    >
    >My first question is can this configuration work and if it can, how do I set
    >it up?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Rick

    richard:

    I have a cable modem with a wired router and a switch serving 3 pcs
    to the internet... I added a d-link wireless router to the previously
    mentioned switch and then any wifi enabled pc in my house can connect
    to the internet via the d-link router... works just fine... only
    problem I have is that I cannot access the wired portion of my LAN
    from the wireless PC's for such things as file and printer sharing
    altho the internet access is trouble free.... if anyone knows how to
    solve the file/printer sharing issue I will be eternally grateful
    Murdok

  4. Re: Wi-fi and wired routers

    Looks as if you connected the DLink WAN port to one of the wired networks
    LAN ports....
    This way both are on a different subnet, thus cannot "see" each other for
    file sharing etc

    Disable the DHCP function on the DLink WIFI, and connect one of the LAN
    ports of the DLink WIFI to one of the LAN ports of the switch/first router
    It should work that way, since all connected take advantage of the first
    routers DHCP function, and the DLink is used as a switch with wireless
    functionality

    wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:31:04 -0700, "Richard Wright"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I need some help. I have two networks - one network is made up of a
    >>router
    >>(smc 7004vbr) with a dsl connection and two wired PC's in a home office in
    >>the garage.
    >>
    >>The second network is a wi-fi router (linksys model ?) with 2 PC's
    >>connected thru usb wi-fi adapters inthe home.
    >>
    >>I would like to use the wi-fi router as a bridge to the wired network thus
    >>allowing the pc's on the wi-fi access to the dsl connection.
    >>
    >>My first question is can this configuration work and if it can, how do I
    >>set
    >>it up?
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Rick
    >>

    > richard:
    >
    > I have a cable modem with a wired router and a switch serving 3 pcs
    > to the internet... I added a d-link wireless router to the previously
    > mentioned switch and then any wifi enabled pc in my house can connect
    > to the internet via the d-link router... works just fine... only
    > problem I have is that I cannot access the wired portion of my LAN
    > from the wireless PC's for such things as file and printer sharing
    > altho the internet access is trouble free.... if anyone knows how to
    > solve the file/printer sharing issue I will be eternally grateful
    > Murdok

+ Reply to Thread