Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming - Connectivity ; Situation: Counter Strike Gaming server running on a (Windows Server 2008) server. Connected to the network at the office but not on the Domain. Static IP address set and firewall off. Cisco router connected to Internet and counter strike port ...

  1. Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming

    Situation:

    Counter Strike Gaming server running on a (Windows Server 2008) server.
    Connected to the network at the office but not on the Domain. Static IP
    address set and firewall off.

    Cisco router connected to Internet and counter strike port (27015) forward
    to gaming server.

    Problem:

    My boss, from home, connects to the Domain and can see the server...

    Me, from home, not on Domain can't see server...

    I wouldn't think being connected to the Domain would make a different, as
    the Cisco is bypassing it? Or is it?

    Help please.......

  2. Re: Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming

    Hello fellow Kiwi (and fellow Ihug user),

    Your boss most likely (if the network admin has any brains) uses a VPN
    to connect to the work network, and establish connectivity to the server.

    Domain membership makes no difference to IP connectivity.

    You should find out how your boss connects to your workplace :-)

    Steve wrote:
    > Situation:
    >
    > Counter Strike Gaming server running on a (Windows Server 2008) server.
    > Connected to the network at the office but not on the Domain. Static IP
    > address set and firewall off.
    >
    > Cisco router connected to Internet and counter strike port (27015)
    > forward to gaming server.
    >

    > Problem:
    >
    > My boss, from home, connects to the Domain and can see the server...
    >
    > Me, from home, not on Domain can't see server...
    >

    > I wouldn't think being connected to the Domain would make a different,
    > as the Cisco is bypassing it? Or is it?
    >

    > Help please.......

  3. Re: Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming

    yes,

    VPN is used...

    "Intuitive" wrote in message
    > Hello fellow Kiwi (and fellow Ihug user),
    >
    > Your boss most likely (if the network admin has any brains) uses a VPN to
    > connect to the work network, and establish connectivity to the server.
    >
    > Domain membership makes no difference to IP connectivity.
    >
    > You should find out how your boss connects to your workplace :-)
    >
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Situation:
    >>
    >> Counter Strike Gaming server running on a (Windows Server 2008) server.
    >> Connected to the network at the office but not on the Domain. Static IP
    >> address set and firewall off.
    >>
    >> Cisco router connected to Internet and counter strike port (27015)
    >> forward to gaming server.
    >>

    >> Problem:
    >>
    >> My boss, from home, connects to the Domain and can see the server...
    >>
    >> Me, from home, not on Domain can't see server...
    >>

    >> I wouldn't think being connected to the Domain would make a different, as
    >> the Cisco is bypassing it? Or is it?
    >>

    >> Help please.......

  4. Re: Probably why you don't use the network at work for gaming

    Steve wrote:
    > yes,
    >
    > VPN is used...

    So, do you have a valid VPN login?