Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem - Connectivity ; Hi all, I am unable to establish a network connection for a very simple home network. Machine 1 OS: Vista Home Premium SP1 Protection: Norton Internet Security 2008 (now uninstalled) Network adapter: NVIDIA nForce network controller (with the updated 6.2.0.126 ...

  1. Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    Hi all,

    I am unable to establish a network connection for a very simple home
    network.

    Machine 1
    OS: Vista Home Premium SP1
    Protection: Norton Internet Security 2008 (now uninstalled)
    Network adapter: NVIDIA nForce network controller (with the updated
    6.2.0.126 driver)

    Machine 2
    OS: XP Pro SP3
    Protection: Kaspersky Internet Security 8.0.0.357
    Network adapter: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (with the
    updated 5.687.225.2008 driver)
    Additional steps: LLTD support installed (by manual force)

    ....and a (new) switch: D-Link DGS-1005D with new cabling to each network
    card.

    (Hey -- I've never had any troubles before, with my 2 former XP Pro SP2
    machines..).

    I get no ping from either of the two. And still, the overall network
    configuration is depicted correctly in the Vista Network Map - seemingly to
    no avail, haha.

    Both machines have perfect and untroubled access to the internet.

    I have tried to turn off firewall protection on both machines, but to no
    avail. Still no ping. In a glimpse of rage and frustration I then went on to
    completely remove Norton Internet Security 2008 on the Vista machine, but
    also to no avail. Still no ping between the two.

    Would anyone have a better idea of what's going on (or not going on, really)
    with my "new Vista/XP network"?

  2. Re: Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    The XP Pro XP3 sees its own side of the network.

    The Vista sees its own side too.

    The Workgroup Name is the same on both machines, as prescribed by countless
    sites (although it shouldn't really be necessary, as far as I understand -
    it just speeds up the network detection).

    VISTA

    Network Discovery is turned ON

    File Sharing is turned ON

    The Network Map shows >correctly< both machines, the switch, a gateway and
    internet as would be expected.

    Ping [NAME] results in: "Ping request could not find host [NAME]. Please
    check the name and try again".

    XP PRO SP3

    I added the LLTD as prescribed by countless of sites. And it shows seemingly
    correctly under the Local Area Connection Properties.

    Ping [NAME] results in: "Ping request could not find host [NAME]. Please
    check the name and try again".

    So...I'd say the Vista machine seemingly "sees" the network correctly, but
    any communication from one machine to the other is completely blocked.

    What is likely the problem here? (If I could yell in a post, I'd have yelled
    right there!). HEEEEELP.

  3. Re: Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    Ehm, if anyone else out there suffers from the same network pain as I have
    laid out here, maybe this will interest you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953761

  4. Re: Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    Are both computers in the same workgroup?
    "Egeville" wrote in message
    news:4887936a$0$15881$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > Ehm, if anyone else out there suffers from the same network pain as I have
    > laid out here, maybe this will interest you:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953761

  5. Re: Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    Hi Louie,

    same workgroup: YES! (This shouldn't really be a serious issue, as far as I
    understand. It just speeds up finding the workgroups? With a little patience
    all the workgroups would be found anyway?).

    And my former posted "solution" was an absolute dead-end, not really
    relevant for my problem apparantly.

    Nevertheless I manually added the (dynamic) IPs to Kaspersky IS2009, and
    were able to, at least, ping the two machines both ways from a command
    prompt.

    So far, so good.

    This is not really what I wanted to accomplish, though. I wanted a smooth
    network detection with the network-map drawn flawlessly, and with
    undisturbed access using for instance Explorer on both machines. Christ, my
    former two XP (SP2) machines never caused any even remotely resembling
    trouble.

    But it gives me a hint that there is a path to salvation somewhere down the
    line. But it probably requires some hardcore network guidance to get there.

    XP SP3 vs. Vista - both machines carrying Kaspersky IS2009.... What (the
    h***) is the screaming problem?

    (Thanx for your reply, Louie)

  6. Re: Vista HP vs. XP Pro SP3 network problem

    LOL, we have probably reached the time where I completely loose my mind.

    Except for answering your reply, Louie (thanx again for that), I have done
    absolutely nothing! Let me repeat that: I have done NOTHING new on the two
    machines. Nothing.

    I just couldn't help checking one last time, if my network had somehow been
    touched by the hands of God almighty, and in some strange fashion justed
    rolled over working - you know, completely irrational.

    Guess what: It had.

    There is no reasonable explanation to this, except for some invisible update
    patch that I should somehow have missed.

    My mind is gone.

    Dare I turn off these two bastards, go to bed, and rise up again tomorrow?

    Except for the Vista OS not drawing the network map, everything is
    apparantly in order.

    Lesson? Close your eyes and pray...

+ Reply to Thread