Problem with network(card)? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Problem with network(card)? - Connectivity ; Hi, I am not to sure where to start but here goes. I while back I bought a realtek network card for and old computer to connect it to my new computer which runs XP, the new computer already had ...

  1. Problem with network(card)?

    Hi, I am not to sure where to start but here goes.

    I while back I bought a realtek network card for and old computer to connect
    it to my new computer which runs XP, the new computer already had a network
    card but I had to buy and fit one for the old one which runs
    windows98, it was a bit of a struggle installing it, it was a ,
    I had problems getting the right driver but I got there in the end (somehow)
    and eventually managed to conect my two computers so I could share files
    etc.

    Anyway I stopped using that computer but I tried to use it again recently.
    I had a few problems, one of the drives (slave) was not working and I
    booted up with just the master (I thought that had failed at that point
    too).
    Anyway, I think it said something that it could not find drivers for the
    network card or something like that, but I kind of ignored it and booted up
    and tried to connect the two computers as before via a 'cross-over'
    cable.
    It did not seem to work as before, I could not see the old computer from my
    new computer (view network or whatever) however it recogises a connection
    and if I unplug the cable from the the old computer or switch it off it
    reports a network connection as missing or something like that
    "local area conection" "A network cable is unplugged" is the exact message
    actually.
    I plug it back in and it says "local area connection speed 100 MPS
    status connected."
    It says all that on the new computer, the XP but it says nothing on the
    old one, the win98 one which has the realtec card i bought in.

    It does not seem to know much about the card at all in fact, I seem to
    remember it used to be listed in System - Device Manager, but it does not
    seem to be there anymore.

    I seem to remember it being listed there with yellow mark by it when it had
    the wrong drivers, maybe in 'network adaptors' I can't remember too well.
    Eventually I sorted out the drivers and it worked.

    I think possibly what might have happened is that I put the drivers on
    the slave drive which now longer there as it is broken,

    If I click on - control panel - network, it says the following componets are
    installed, one of them is Realtek RTL8129, it comes up twice I think.
    Note it is not quite RTL8139D.

    Anyway can anyone give me any advice?

    Is my card working?

    Should it be listed in the device manager?

    If so why is it not there?

    Did I maybe tell it to ignore the card at some point?

    I tried taking out the card and putting it back in, rebooting with no card
    in between, but it never said new hardware detected.

    Incidently when I first booted up (after not using the computer for along
    time) I think it did say new hardware detect and maybe that it could not
    find the drivers, I am not sure, I ignored that message at that point, but I
    thouogh it odd.
    Maybe could not find the drivers because a driver was missing but I though
    it could have copied them into the system folder anyway.

    Help!!!

  2. Re: Problem with network(card)?

    "Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in message
> [...]
    > are installed, one of them is Realtek RTL8129, it comes up twice I think.
    > Note it is not quite RTL8139D.
    >
    > Anyway can anyone give me any advice?
    >
    > Is my card working?
    >
    > Should it be listed in the device manager?
    >
    > If so why is it not there?
    >
    > Did I maybe tell it to ignore the card at some point?
    >
    > I tried taking out the card and putting it back in, rebooting with no card
    > in between, but it never said new hardware detected.
    >
    > Incidently when I first booted up (after not using the computer for along
    > time) I think it did say new hardware detect and maybe that it could not
    > find the drivers, I am not sure, I ignored that message at that point, but
    > I thouogh it odd.
    > Maybe could not find the drivers because a driver was missing but I though
    > it could have copied them into the system folder anyway.

  3. Re: Problem with network(card)?

    On Jun 30, 11:49*pm, "Lord Turkey Cough" wrote:
> [...]

    > > are installed, one of them is Realtek RTL8129, it comes up twice I think..
    > > Note it is not quite RTL8139D.

    > > Anyway can anyone give me any advice?

    > > Is my card working?

    > > Should it be listed in the device manager?

    > > If so why is it not there?

    > > Did I maybe tell it to ignore the card at some point?

    > > I tried taking out the card and putting it back in, rebooting with no card
    > > in between, but it never said new hardware detected.

    > > Incidently when I first booted up (after not using the computer for along
    > > time) I think it did say new hardware detect and maybe that it could not
    > > find the drivers, I am not sure, I ignored that message at that point, but
    > > I thouogh it odd.
    > > Maybe could not find the drivers because a driver was missing but I though
    > > it could have copied them into the system folder anyway.

    you could bypass all of this thought by just reinstalling the drivers.

    its seems your problem is how to do this, since your network card is
    not listed in device manager.

    I don't have a windows 98 system with a network card here to try this
    with.. Though I have done it before without running into any problems.

    I would have expected that if the network card is in there, then one
    would either get it in device manager (with or without a yellow
    exclamation mark), or a window coming up saying windows 98 found new
    hardware (and you could then point to where the drivers are located).
    (or maybe yellow exclamation mark and that window). I am suprised
    you get neither.. You really need one of those screens in order to
    point windows to the driver.
    (you could right click an inf and choose install, but that's a real
    long shot, and isn't always as effective)

    This site goes through installing a network card in windows 98
    http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/

    Here, they got the "add new hardware" detection window up by doing to

    ctrl panel....Add new hardware

    Does that detect your network card (asking you for a driver)? If so,
    then great.

    It may be that the popup saying disconnected/connected, is a sign that
    it is somewhat recognised... So is odd that it is not in device
    manager.

    That link
    http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/
    mentions something else though..

    And I can see another route to "adding your network adaptor" ,
    including installing the driver..

    ctrl panel....network

    now , according to them, it should list
    TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, the Ethernet adapter card and
    NetBEUI.

    If any of those are not listed. e.g. no ethernet adaptor listed.

    Click Add,
    and then it asks you to choose Client,Adaptor,Protocol,Service

    They go through adding the Netbeui service. You might want to do that
    if it isn't installed.

    But if your ethernet card/adaptor is not installed. Then choose
    Adaptor. And then maybe you will be able to point it to drivers for
    your card.

    It is a bit of a shot in the dark.. But it's something to try.

    And, since I just noticed,you say that you did ctrl panel...network
    and it listed your card twice and not the exact model number.

    I suggest that may be why you get the connect/disconnect thing
    working, but not much else.. And things are strange.

    Try removing the network adaptor. Both entries.
    So detection comes up again. And point it to the correct drivers.
    Download the right drivers.
    Or, instead of removing them, go to their properties if possible, and
    point to the right drivers.

    You don't want them coming up for the wrong model if in your situation
    of it not working. The drivers for the wrong model, which is what you
    have, are a suspect.
    It may be that windows autodetected it like that - wrongly. So remove
    them, and instead of letting windows choose the driver for you. You
    tell windows what driver to install.

    Download the right driver.

    Google the model number of your network card. And/Or go to the network
    card manufacturer website (realtek). And get the drivers for that
    particular model of network card.

  4. Re: Problem with network(card)?

    wrote in message
> [...]

    working, but not much else.. And things are strange.

    Try removing the network adaptor. Both entries.
    So detection comes up again. And point it to the correct drivers.
    Download the right drivers.
    Or, instead of removing them, go to their properties if possible, and
    point to the right drivers.

    You don't want them coming up for the wrong model if in your situation
    of it not working. The drivers for the wrong model, which is what you
    have, are a suspect.
    It may be that windows autodetected it like that - wrongly. So remove
    them, and instead of letting windows choose the driver for you. You
    tell windows what driver to install.

    Download the right driver.

    Google the model number of your network card. And/Or go to the network
    card manufacturer website (realtek). And get the drivers for that

  5. Re: Problem with network(card)?

> [...]

    >> > though
    >> > it could have copied them into the system folder anyway.

    >> > Help!!!-

    > you could bypass all of this thought by just reinstalling the drivers.
    >
    > its seems your problem is how to do this, since your network card is
    > not listed in device manager.
    >
    > I don't have a windows 98 system with a network card here to try this
    > with.. Though I have done it before without running into any problems.
    >

    > I would have expected that if the network card is in there, then one
    > would either get it in device manager (with or without a yellow
    > exclamation mark), or a window coming up saying windows 98 found new
    > hardware (and you could then point to where the drivers are located).
    > (or maybe yellow exclamation mark and that window). I am suprised
    > you get neither.. You really need one of those screens in order to

    It does not show up at all.
    I am pretty sure the card is 'dead'

    > (you could right click an inf and choose install, but that's a real
    > long shot, and isn't always as effective)
    >
    > This site goes through installing a network card in windows 98
    > http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/
    >
    > Here, they got the "add new hardware" detection window up by doing to
    >
    > ctrl panel....Add new hardware
    >
    > Does that detect your network card (asking you for a driver)? If so,
    > then great.
    >
    > It may be that the popup saying disconnected/connected, is a sign that
    > it is somewhat recognised... So is odd that it is not in device
    > manager.
    >
    > That link
    > http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/
    > mentions something else though..
    >
    > And I can see another route to "adding your network adaptor" ,
    > including installing the driver..
    >
    > ctrl panel....network
    >
    > now , according to them, it should list
    > TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, the Ethernet adapter card and
    > NetBEUI.
    >
    > If any of those are not listed. e.g. no ethernet adaptor listed.
    >
    > Click Add,
    > and then it asks you to choose Client,Adaptor,Protocol,Service
    >
    > They go through adding the Netbeui service. You might want to do that
    > if it isn't installed.
    >
    > But if your ethernet card/adaptor is not installed. Then choose
    > Adaptor. And then maybe you will be able to point it to drivers for
    > your card.
    >
    > It is a bit of a shot in the dark.. But it's something to try.
    >
    > And, since I just noticed,you say that you did ctrl panel...network
    > and it listed your card twice and not the exact model number.

    No the card does not come up twice in the device manager.
    That thing comes up twice else where under a protocol
    like tcp/ip or something. I think it refers to software rather
    than hardware.

    > I suggest that may be why you get the connect/disconnect thing
    > working, but not much else.. And things are strange.
    >
    > Try removing the network adaptor. Both entries.
    > So detection comes up again. And point it to the correct drivers.
    > Download the right drivers.
    > Or, instead of removing them, go to their properties if possible, and
    > point to the right drivers.
    >
    > You don't want them coming up for the wrong model if in your situation
    > of it not working. The drivers for the wrong model, which is what you
    > have, are a suspect.
    > It may be that windows autodetected it like that - wrongly. So remove
    > them, and instead of letting windows choose the driver for you. You
    > tell windows what driver to install.
    >
    > Download the right driver.
    >
    > Google the model number of your network card. And/Or go to the network
    > card manufacturer website (realtek). And get the drivers for that
    > particular model of network card.

    I also tried the card in my new machine and it was not list there
    either, however there was a Realtek card listed but that is the one
    which is onboard with the machine. It's same type RTL8139D
    but it is listed even if I take the card out again as I would expect.

    So I am 99% sure it is dead. Although I am puzzeled as to
    what killed it. Possibly connecting it to the other machine
    via a none cross-over cable, but then the ehernet card iso that n the
    other machine, this one is working fine, I am using ot now infact
    to connect to my modem.

    Anyway thanks for those links they will come in useful because
    I am going to but another card (two infact) they are only 6 a piece,
    so that should help me install them. I did manager to do it myself before
    but it was a struggle so a guide will help.
    I had all sorts of trouble before, the windows firewall was blocking
    me and it was not listing networked places, but I did get it working
    eventually. Then I stopped using that machine for about a year and I
    was surprised that networking was not working when I set it up
    again recently.

  6. Re: Problem with network(card)?

> [...]

    > So I am 99% sure it is dead. Although I am puzzeled as to
    > what killed it. Possibly connecting it to the other machine
    > via a none cross-over cable, but then the ehernet card iso that n the
    > other machine, this one is working fine, I am using ot now infact
    > to connect to my modem.
    >
    > Anyway thanks for those links they will come in useful because
    > I am going to but another card (two infact) they are only 6 a piece,
    > so that should help me install them. I did manager to do it myself before
    > but it was a struggle so a guide will help.
    > I had all sorts of trouble before, the windows firewall was blocking
    > me and it was not listing networked places, but I did get it working
    > eventually. Then I stopped using that machine for about a year and I
    > was surprised that networking was not working when I set it up

  7. Re: Problem with network(card)?

    > "Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lord Turkey Cough" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> you could bypass all of this thought by just reinstalling the drivers.
    >>>
    >>> its seems your problem is how to do this, since your network card is
    >>> not listed in device manager.
    >>>
    >>> I don't have a windows 98 system with a network card here to try this
    >>> with.. Though I have done it before without running into any problems.
    >>>

    >>> I would have expected that if the network card is in there, then one
    >>> would either get it in device manager (with or without a yellow
    >>> exclamation mark), or a window coming up saying windows 98 found new
    >>> hardware (and you could then point to where the drivers are located).
    >>> (or maybe yellow exclamation mark and that window). I am suprised
    >>> you get neither.. You really need one of those screens in order to
    >>> point windows to the driver.

    >> It does not show up at all.
    >> I am pretty sure the card is 'dead'
    >>

    >>> (you could right click an inf and choose install, but that's a real
    >>> long shot, and isn't always as effective)
    >>>
    >>> This site goes through installing a network card in windows 98
    >>> http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/
    >>>
    >>> Here, they got the "add new hardware" detection window up by doing to
    >>>
    >>> ctrl panel....Add new hardware
    >>>
    >>> Does that detect your network card (asking you for a driver)? If so,
    >>> then great.
    >>>
    >>> It may be that the popup saying disconnected/connected, is a sign that
    >>> it is somewhat recognised... So is odd that it is not in device
    >>> manager.
    >>>
    >>> That link
    >>> http://www.mcgill.ca/ncs/products/so...king/pc/steps/
    >>> mentions something else though..
    >>>
    >>> And I can see another route to "adding your network adaptor" ,
    >>> including installing the driver..
    >>>
    >>> ctrl panel....network
    >>>
    >>> now , according to them, it should list
    >>> TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, the Ethernet adapter card and
    >>> NetBEUI.
    >>>
    >>> If any of those are not listed. e.g. no ethernet adaptor listed.
    >>>
    >>> Click Add,
    >>> and then it asks you to choose Client,Adaptor,Protocol,Service
    >>>
    >>> They go through adding the Netbeui service. You might want to do that
    >>> if it isn't installed.
    >>>
    >>> But if your ethernet card/adaptor is not installed. Then choose
    >>> Adaptor. And then maybe you will be able to point it to drivers for
    >>> your card.
    >>>
    >>> It is a bit of a shot in the dark.. But it's something to try.
    >>>
    >>> And, since I just noticed,you say that you did ctrl panel...network
    >>> and it listed your card twice and not the exact model number.

    >> No the card does not come up twice in the device manager.
    >> That thing comes up twice else where under a protocol
    >> like tcp/ip or something. I think it refers to software rather
    >> than hardware.

    It was in network/configuration.
    There is a green thing with a P saying "Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Etthernet
    Then below that
    TCP/IP -> Realtek RTL8129 PCI Fast Etthernet

    It is 8139 anyway.

    >>> I suggest that may be why you get the connect/disconnect thing
    >>> working, but not much else.. And things are strange.
    >>>
    >>> Try removing the network adaptor. Both entries.
    >>> So detection comes up again. And point it to the correct drivers.
    >>> Download the right drivers.
    >>> Or, instead of removing them, go to their properties if possible, and
    >>> point to the right drivers.
    >>>
    >>> You don't want them coming up for the wrong model if in your situation
    >>> of it not working. The drivers for the wrong model, which is what you
    >>> have, are a suspect.
    >>> It may be that windows autodetected it like that - wrongly. So remove
    >>> them, and instead of letting windows choose the driver for you. You
    >>> tell windows what driver to install.
    >>>
    >>> Download the right driver.
    >>>
    >>> Google the model number of your network card. And/Or go to the network
    >>> card manufacturer website (realtek). And get the drivers for that
    >>> particular model of network card.

    >> I also tried the card in my new machine and it was not list there
    >> either, however there was a Realtek card listed but that is the one
    >> which is onboard with the machine. It's same type RTL8139D
    >> but it is listed even if I take the card out again as I would expect.
    >>

    >> So I am 99% sure it is dead. Although I am puzzeled as to
    >> what killed it. Possibly connecting it to the other machine
    >> via a none cross-over cable, but then the ehernet card iso that n the
    >> other machine, this one is working fine, I am using ot now infact
    >> to connect to my modem.
    >>
    >> Anyway thanks for those links they will come in useful because
    >> I am going to but another card (two infact) they are only 6 a piece,
    >> so that should help me install them. I did manager to do it myself before
    >> but it was a struggle so a guide will help.
    >> I had all sorts of trouble before, the windows firewall was blocking
    >> me and it was not listing networked places, but I did get it working
    >> eventually. Then I stopped using that machine for about a year and I
    >> was surprised that networking was not working when I set it up
    >> again recently.

+ Reply to Thread