Need more plugs than my 4 port Wireless router... how do I addanother hub? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Need more plugs than my 4 port Wireless router... how do I addanother hub? - Connectivity ; Hello, I have a couple of network printers and would like wired connections to my Xbox and a couple of other PC's in my house. I already have a box with 500ft of Cat5 cable... but my wireless router only ...

  1. Need more plugs than my 4 port Wireless router... how do I addanother hub?

    Hello,

    I have a couple of network printers and would like wired connections
    to my Xbox and a couple of other PC's in my house. I already have a
    box with 500ft of Cat5 cable... but my wireless router only has 4
    built-in ports. Can I just buy any old 6+ port hub from eBay and add
    it somehow to get more ports?

    Here's what I have right now:

    NETWORK:
    D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit router
    Vonage Modem
    Comcast Cable Modem

    Currently, the Cable modem is first in line, then the Vonage Modem,
    which goes to the IN port on the D-Link router.

    I have a laptop with built-in wireless that connects to the Router. I
    also have the following devices that would need to be connected:

    Brother network printer
    Xbox360
    2nd Windows XP PC
    Kid's room PC
    Kitchen PC
    Apple G5 Tower PC

    Since I already have a spool of cable, it seems to make sense to me to
    just run the wire to each room through the attic, since the router is
    currently in the middle of the house (for max wireless coverage).

    So, anything special I need to buy in order to add the 2+ extra ports
    I need to the current 4 port wireless router?

  2. Re: Need more plugs than my 4 port Wireless router... how do I add another hub?

    "eyebytes" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a couple of network printers and would like wired connections
    > to my Xbox and a couple of other PC's in my house. I already have a
    > box with 500ft of Cat5 cable... but my wireless router only has 4
    > built-in ports. Can I just buy any old 6+ port hub from eBay and add
    > it somehow to get more ports?

    You can add a switch to a router (I wouldn't recommend adding another router)
    Most routers and switches can automatically adjust their ports for doing that but
    if yours doesn't you'll have to make or buy a crossover cable.

    Tom Lake