Combine Wired and Wireless Connectivity to increase bandwidth? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Combine Wired and Wireless Connectivity to increase bandwidth? - Connectivity ; Hello all, In my setup, there is a wireless connectivity and wired connectivity available. I was thinking as why is not my system capable of using both wired as well as wireless at the same time and increase the bandwidth ...

  1. Combine Wired and Wireless Connectivity to increase bandwidth?

    Hello all,

    In my setup, there is a wireless connectivity and wired connectivity
    available. I was thinking as why is not my system capable of using
    both wired as well as wireless at the same time and increase the
    bandwidth of network utilization.

    I googled to know how this is feasible or not possible, but could not
    land up on any documents.

    Can you suggested some pointers on what it means to combine the
    wireless network and a wired network. What benefits do we get, by
    network multiplexing? Is it just redundancy, which is present anyways
    or can we look for increase in throughput and bandwidth?

    Thanks in advance.
    Senthil

  2. Re: Combine Wired and Wireless Connectivity to increase bandwidth?

    On 2008-06-11 06:04:22 -0400, "O.R.Senthil Kumaran" said:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > In my setup, there is a wireless connectivity and wired connectivity
    > available. I was thinking as why is not my system capable of using
    > both wired as well as wireless at the same time and increase the
    > bandwidth of network utilization.

    This is generally not advisable as wired networks have lower packet
    latencies than wireless networks, which leads to out-of-order packet
    delivery, not pleasant for anything in the TCP/IP protocol suite to
    deal with.

    That said, if you can guarantee that certain application sockets go
    over one link or the other, such as making sure all HTTP traffic goes
    over the wireless link, and maybe VoIP / SIP over the wired link, you
    may indeed get some benefits by taking traffic you care less about off
    the wired link on to the wired one.

    A discussion of how to do this is out-of-scope for this group, but a
    good start might be to read into OpenBSD / FreeBSD's PF-software-based
    firewall for "outbound load balance" where you direct the PF-based
    firewall to send packets down a particular link based on some criteria
    such as the TCP destination port. I've done this for other reasons with
    PF, and it works well.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _