Moisture Protection - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Moisture Protection - Connectivity ; Hi Everyone, I am updating the network wiring from my PC to my Comcast Phone Modem. That is where I gain access to their high speed web connection. It not a professional update, but things should work as I plan. ...

  1. Moisture Protection

    Hi Everyone,

    I am updating the network wiring from my PC to my Comcast Phone Modem.
    That is where I gain access to their high speed web connection. It not a
    professional update, but things should work as I plan.

    I have one last sticking point. There is one long Cat 5e cable under the
    house I want to join to a shorter piece. There is a reason. I am using a
    coupler between the two cables. The point is; Does anyone know how to
    "Help" protect the connection from moisture and condensation ?

    I was thinking elect tape, but wouldn't that degrade over time ? Maybe
    some type of putty, or gel ? What do I know.

    1) Nothing I can do.
    2) Are my suggestions valid.
    3) Do you have a better suggestion.
    4)Being Under the house - no problem.

    I Truly Thank You for you Input,

    Wayne

  2. Re: Moisture Protection

    "Wayne" wrote in message
    news:gNednVqGZK2NIqjVnZ2dnUVZ_rTinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I am updating the network wiring from my PC to my Comcast Phone Modem.
    > That is where I gain access to their high speed web connection. It not a
    > professional update, but things should work as I plan.
    >
    > I have one last sticking point. There is one long Cat 5e cable under the
    > house I want to join to a shorter piece. There is a reason. I am using a
    > coupler between the two cables. The point is; Does anyone know how to
    > "Help" protect the connection from moisture and condensation ?
    >
    > I was thinking elect tape, but wouldn't that degrade over time ? Maybe
    > some type of putty, or gel ? What do I know.
    >
    > 1) Nothing I can do.
    > 2) Are my suggestions valid.
    > 3) Do you have a better suggestion.
    > 4)Being Under the house - no problem.
    >
    > I Truly Thank You for you Input,
    >
    > Wayne

    I use a standard connector and potted it in epoxy.
    JPS

  3. Re: Moisture Protection

    >> Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >> I am updating the network wiring from my PC to my Comcast Phone Modem.
    >> That is where I gain access to their high speed web connection. It not
    >> a professional update, but things should work as I plan.
    >>
    >> I have one last sticking point. There is one long Cat 5e cable under
    >> the house I want to join to a shorter piece. There is a reason. I am
    >> using a coupler between the two cables. The point is; Does anyone know
    >> how to "Help" protect the connection from moisture and condensation ?
    >>
    >> I was thinking elect tape, but wouldn't that degrade over time ? Maybe
    >> some type of putty, or gel ? What do I know.
    >>
    >> 1) Nothing I can do.
    >> 2) Are my suggestions valid.
    >> 3) Do you have a better suggestion.
    >> 4)Being Under the house - no problem.
    >>
    >> I Truly Thank You for you Input,
    >>
    >> Wayne

    > I use a standard connector and potted it in epoxy.
    > JPS

    Hi JPS,

    I had considered epoxy, but I was only thinking liquid epoxy. As soon as I
    read in your post ,

    "Potted" it in epoxy,

    I realized, epoxy "Putty". That should work great.

    Thanks, You Are A Champ,

    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread