How to debug not getting an IP address with Ubuntu. - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How to debug not getting an IP address with Ubuntu. - Connectivity ; I have a Ubuntu server that is having a problem getting an IP address. When I run the ifconfig command everything looks good but the line that shows the IP address is not there. I tried dhcp and manual, sometimes ...

  1. How to debug not getting an IP address with Ubuntu.

    I have a Ubuntu server that is having a problem getting an IP address.

    When I run the ifconfig command everything looks good but the line
    that shows the IP address is not there.

    I tried dhcp and manual, sometimes it works so I think the HW is OK
    but some times when it boots it does not get an IP address.

    Has anyone seen this or know how to debug it?

    thanks, Ed

  2. Re: How to debug not getting an IP address with Ubuntu.

    I clicked the 'Roaming' box and it started working. Does anyone know why
    this would be?

    "Ed in Calif" wrote in message
    > I have a Ubuntu server that is having a problem getting an IP address.
    >
    > When I run the ifconfig command everything looks good but the line
    > that shows the IP address is not there.
    >
    > I tried dhcp and manual, sometimes it works so I think the HW is OK
    > but some times when it boots it does not get an IP address.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this or know how to debug it?
    >
    > thanks, Ed

  3. Re: How to debug not getting an IP address with Ubuntu.

    On 2008-05-02 22:23:26 -0400, "Ed in Calif" said:

    > I clicked the 'Roaming' box and it started working. Does anyone know
    > why this would be?

    I'm thinking that "Roaming" may have restarted your dhclient process on Ubuntu.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101