Simple GigaBit question/information - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Simple GigaBit question/information - Connectivity ; Hi, I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK DGS-1005D). The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E). Each PC ...

  1. Simple GigaBit question/information

    Hi,
    I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK
    DGS-1005D).
    The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router
    (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E).

    Each PC has a fixed IP and the "gateway IP" of each one is the ADSL
    10/100 router IP (this let's my browse internet without problem)

    The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    transfer files between the 2 PC or do I have to but a Gigabit DSL router
    too, instead of actual 10/100 ADSL Router?

    Really I did some transfer speed test between the 2 gigabit PC, and
    usually I got around 125MBps transfer rate.

    I use the router only to connect to the internet, but the gateway IP of
    each network card PC is the ADSL router 10/100 IP, so I've some doubts...

    Thanks for attention and sorry for bad English.
    Have a good day
    regards
    Matteo

  2. Re: Simple GigaBit question/information

    "Matteo Mantini" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've 2 Pc (with Gigabit NIC) connected to a 4 port Gigabit switch (DLINK
    > DGS-1005D).
    > The 4 port Gigabit switch is connected to a classic 10/100 ADSL router
    > (NetGearDM602P) thru network cable (I'm using all cables CAT-5E).
    >
    > Each PC has a fixed IP and the "gateway IP" of each one is the ADSL 10/100
    > router IP (this let's my browse internet without problem)
    >
    > The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    > transfer files between the 2 PC or do I have to but a Gigabit DSL router
    > too, instead of actual 10/100 ADSL Router?
    >
    > Really I did some transfer speed test between the 2 gigabit PC, and
    > usually I got around 125MBps transfer rate.
    >
    > I use the router only to connect to the internet, but the gateway IP of
    > each network card PC is the ADSL router 10/100 IP, so I've some doubts...
    >
    > Thanks for attention and sorry for bad English.
    > Have a good day
    > regards
    > Matteo

    The transfer rate looks good. It is 60% faster than we get with 10/100
    units using a 'copy and paste' between with one computer mapped to the
    other.

    As you know the transfer rate is slowed by buffer size, hard drive speeds,
    error checking, NIC speeds, hub/switch speeds and so on.

    Jim

  3. Re: Simple GigaBit question/information

    Matteo Mantini wrote:
    > The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    > transfer files between the 2 PC

    Yes you can, because that traffic actually doesn't pass by the DSL
    router but gets directly
    by the switch.

    Michael

  4. Re: Simple GigaBit question/information

    On 2008-05-01 05:41:06 -0400, Matteo Mantini said:

    > The question is : Can I "enjoy" the full speed of Gigabit speed when I
    > transfer files between the 2 PC or do I have to but a Gigabit DSL
    > router too, instead of actual 10/100 ADSL Router?

    You will always enjoy an improvement with this configuration, but don't
    chase after getting line-rate full wire-speed transfers. The final
    limitation is how the OS processes data, which never can keep up with
    line rate, and was never designed to. The best I've seen on a 1Gbps
    connection for a finely-tuned UNIX host (Solaris) was around 800Mbps
    sustained with FTP.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _