A Little Help / Perhaps A Lot Of Help - Connectivity

This is a discussion on A Little Help / Perhaps A Lot Of Help - Connectivity ; Please do not fall down laughing at this I am trying to delve into home networking. I have: Toshiba Laptop with XP Home File system is NTFS Zone Alarm For Firewall Norton for Anti-virus 1 Physical disk with one logical ...

  1. A Little Help / Perhaps A Lot Of Help

    Please do not fall down laughing at this

    I am trying to delve into home networking.

    I have:

    Toshiba Laptop with XP Home
    File system is NTFS
    Zone Alarm For Firewall
    Norton for Anti-virus
    1 Physical disk with one logical portion partion
    Use this machine both hardwired and wireless.

    Vanilla Desktop with XP Pro Service Pack 1 With a 180Gig External Hard Drive
    (USB) attached and a HP932C Printer also attached
    Internal Hard Drive is NTFS
    External Drive is Win32
    Norton Firewall
    Norton Anti-virus
    1 physical disk with 4 logical partions

    Vanilla Desktop with Win98SE
    File System is Win32
    Norton Firewall
    Norton Anti-Virus
    Two physical disk with one disk having multi logical partions and one disk
    having a single logical partion

    IBM Desktop with Win98SE
    File System is Win32
    Norton Firewall
    Norton Anti-virus
    1 Physical disk with single logical partion.

    I am using a LinkSys Broudband Router (WRT54G)

    What I would like to do is gang them all together so that I could:
    1. Access the printer from all machines
    2. Access the external hard drive from all machines
    3. Share data between the various machines internal hard drives and CD/DVD
    reader/burners.

    Now I do understand that I am not going to be able to use the Win98SE
    machines to access the hard drives on the XP machines on account of the file
    format on the XPs. I can live with that. I am more interested in using the
    XP machines to access all and the Win98SE machines to access each other
    along with the external hard drive and the printer.

    Can I set it up where I can have XP access all physical/logical hard drives
    including the external hard drive.
    Can I set it up where I can have Win98SE access other Win98SE hard drive
    along with the XP Pros external hard drive (Fat32)
    Can I set it up where I can have all machines access the printer.

    Would appreciate some assistance (along the detailed side) as to how to
    accomplish this.

    ..

  2. Re: A Little Help / Perhaps A Lot Of Help

    On 2008-04-26 13:20:46 -0400, "SomOne" said:

    > Please do not fall down laughing at this
    >
    > I am trying to delve into home networking.

    We all started somewhere, so don't worry about it, and I for one, am
    not laughing - decades ago when I was first learning, someone took the
    time to educate me, and now it's my turn to pass it on. You did one
    really great thing here, which is you took the time to list out all of
    your configuration parameters, which can enable other people to help
    better in the future. Fortunately, what you're looking to do isn't so
    difficult.

    All you need to do is take all of the machines, and plug them in to one
    common Ethernet network, basically, plug them all into the same
    Ethernet hub or switch, and make sure somewhere on that network there's
    a DHCP server. A common configuration would be to purchase a LinkSys or
    other device that's "all-in-one" that can enable you to connect your
    DSL or cable connectivity, provide wireless, and has a 4-port hub on
    the back you can plug your PC's into.

    The LinkSys or other box will become a default gateway to the Internet
    for your machines, and you will want to manually set each PC's IP
    address and gateway appropriately. Usually, a routing product
    manufacturer picks what's called an RFC1918 private IP address block
    and uses part of a small piece of that to give out dynamic IP
    addresses, and a portion to be used as static IP addresses. In the
    product configuration, it's pretty clear which one is which, it's
    usually the "lower" numbers. I'm trying to avoid a deeper discussion of
    IP addressing so you don't get overwhelmed with information.

    - Make sure you name each one of your PC's running Windows so they're
    easy for you to identify.

    - In ZoneAlarm, you may need to add the network your PC's are on to the
    "trusted network" list so ZoneAlarm allows a relaxed policy for that
    network connectivity - overly restrictive firewall rules will prevent
    you from seeing and browsing other computers. You will probably need to
    do this for your Norton firewall, but I've never used that myself.

    - Your PC's should belong to the same "WorkGroup" name, which you can
    get at in your IP settings in Control Panel. If you pick a new one for
    all of them, you'll need to reboot the PC's to get it to function
    properly.

    - You can then right click most disks / directories under Windows and
    select to share them from that menu. It's fairly safe to do so behind
    the firewall protection you have on each PC and the firewall provided
    by the LinkSys / other product you select.

    - You didn't mention whether or not you have NIC cards for each
    machine, they're relatively cheap (Ethernet NIC), and can be gotten
    mostly anywhere, your cheapest bet is to be a savvy buyer and head to
    EBay - why pay full price? With a little research, you can figure out
    what model number you want, and shop for something used or new. I've
    built my own personal network @ home this way over the years with care
    taken to examine each auction posting, etc.

    Don't be afraid to keep the dialog going - it can be a fun and
    rewarding thing to enjoy your machines working in concert with the
    symphony of your data.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101

  3. Re: A Little Help / Perhaps A Lot Of Help

    "SomOne" wrote in message

    > Now I do understand that I am not going to be able to use the Win98SE
    > machines to access the hard drives on the XP machines on account of the
    > file
    > format on the XPs. I can live with that.

    You can use the Win98 machine to access the XP machine if you want to.
    The network software takes care of different file systems.

    Tom Lake

+ Reply to Thread