Home network configuration problems - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Home network configuration problems - Connectivity ; Hello, I am having BIG problems getting my network to work. I have Cox Cable. Then a Belkin N-Wireless Router for 4-ports. I would like to add a Linksys 5-port switch and a Linksys 8-port Workgroup Hub. Can someone please ...

  1. Home network configuration problems

    Hello,

    I am having BIG problems getting my network to work.

    I have Cox Cable.
    Then a Belkin N-Wireless Router for 4-ports.

    I would like to add a Linksys 5-port switch and a Linksys 8-port Workgroup
    Hub.

    Can someone please tell me how to set them up?

    The Belkin N-Wireless has a cable modem port on the back and it has the
    firewall features so I assume this goes after the cable modem.

    What goes next and from what port to what port?

    Then how do I configure the last item? What port to what port?

    I really appreciate any assistance.

    Ron

  2. Re: Home network configuration problems

    On 2008-04-22 15:37:50 -0400, "Wes" said:

    > I have Cox Cable.
    > Then a Belkin N-Wireless Router for 4-ports.
    >
    > I would like to add a Linksys 5-port switch and a Linksys 8-port Workgroup
    > Hub.

    There's almost not enough information here to help out accurately (not
    a flame, just caution with the suggestions I give!). You can link in
    your 5-port switch and your 8-port hub to the wireless router, but you
    will likely need a special cable called by a few names, "Ethernet
    back-to-back", "Ethernet null", "Ethernet twist", etc. This cable
    reverses the cable pinout at either end so you can connect an Ethernet
    DCE to an Ethernet DCE.

    Your local Radio Shack or Best Buy might have them, or look online and
    purchase. These cables would plug in one each from your hub and switch
    to your wireless router.

    "Daisy-chaining" hubs or switches more than one deep like this (like,
    if you were to add another hub or switch to this set of a hub and a
    switch), is not recommended.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101

  3. Re: Home network configuration problems

    Hello,

    Thank you for the information. I am going to take a slightly different
    approach. I am going to eliminate at least piece and go from there. I will
    repost after I have the information for posting.

    In the meantime, thanks for the information concerning the null cable. I had
    never heard about one of these. I will look into it. Thanks again.

    Ron
    "Digital Mercenary For Honor" wrote in
    message news7oae5-hk6.ln1@news.dmfh.cx...
    > On 2008-04-22 15:37:50 -0400, "Wes" said:
    >
    >> I have Cox Cable.
    >> Then a Belkin N-Wireless Router for 4-ports.
    >>
    >> I would like to add a Linksys 5-port switch and a Linksys 8-port
    >> Workgroup
    >> Hub.

    > There's almost not enough information here to help out accurately (not a
    > flame, just caution with the suggestions I give!). You can link in your
    > 5-port switch and your 8-port hub to the wireless router, but you will
    > likely need a special cable called by a few names, "Ethernet
    > back-to-back", "Ethernet null", "Ethernet twist", etc. This cable reverses
    > the cable pinout at either end so you can connect an Ethernet DCE to an
    > Ethernet DCE.
    >
    > Your local Radio Shack or Best Buy might have them, or look online and
    > purchase. These cables would plug in one each from your hub and switch to
    > your wireless router.
    >
    > "Daisy-chaining" hubs or switches more than one deep like this (like, if
    > you were to add another hub or switch to this set of a hub and a switch),
    > is not recommended.
    >
    > /dmfh
    >
    > --
    > _ __ _