Connecting to Private Network from Outside - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Connecting to Private Network from Outside - Connectivity ; I have a tiny (one Windows 2003 Server and two Vista Business workstations) private network with a Netgear wireless router (WGT624v2). We use a Hughesnet satellite terminal to connect to the Internet and this is plugged into the WAN port ...

  1. Connecting to Private Network from Outside

    I have a tiny (one Windows 2003 Server and two Vista Business workstations)
    private network with a Netgear wireless router (WGT624v2). We use a
    Hughesnet
    satellite terminal to connect to the Internet and this is plugged into the
    WAN
    port of the Netgear. The server and two workstations have 192.xx.xx.xx
    addresses
    and can all see each other and share the Internet connection. Now the
    problem
    is I need to access the server from off-site. Hughesnet has provided us
    with a
    block of five static IP addresses in the 72.xx.xx.xx range with a netmask of
    255.255.255.248. Can the Netgear router be set up to allow outside
    computers
    to get to our server (map to server drives, etc)? If so how do I configure
    it? I've
    never done anything like this before so if you have exact (put this number
    here,
    put that number there) instructions, that'd be great!

    TIA

    Tom Lake

  2. Re: Connecting to Private Network from Outside

    On 2008-04-07 18:38:24 -0400, "Tom Lake" said:

    > I have a tiny (one Windows 2003 Server and two Vista Business workstations)
    > private network with a Netgear wireless router (WGT624v2). We use a Hughesnet
    > satellite terminal to connect to the Internet and this is plugged into the WAN
    > port of the Netgear. The server and two workstations have 192.xx.xx.xx
    > addresses

    Tom, you could configure this, but due to the insecurity of Windows in
    general, I'd recommend making your own VPN, which would allow you to
    just need to map one IP address and port on your NetGear product to
    something "inside" your network and have that terminate on a
    specialty-built PC running software like OpenVPN - if you have an old
    PC lying around with a NIC card, you're in business. OpenVPN has
    software you can use on a lot of different operating systems as well.

    Check this link out, this is not the only solution, but a start:

    > http://www.ipcop.org/

    It make seem complex at first, but you'll wind up with a much more
    secure solution for your data - you don't want to expose your Windows
    machines to the outside world.

    /dmfh

    --

    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101