Multiple connections to cable modem - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Multiple connections to cable modem - Connectivity ; Hi all: My ISP provides 3 dynamics IP addresses on our service. I am wondering if it is possible to have the connection set up so that the connection from the modem goes into a hub, and then I could ...

  1. Multiple connections to cable modem

    Hi all:

    My ISP provides 3 dynamics IP addresses on our service. I am wondering if it
    is possible to have the connection set up so that the connection from the
    modem goes into a hub, and then I could plug multiple routers into the hub
    and each router would then be able to grab an IP address from the cable
    modem? Will that work?

    I want to set up multiple machines with Dynamic DNS...

    Thanks in advance for any and all help.

    John.

  2. Re: Multiple connections to cable modem

    John Straumann wrote:
    > My ISP provides 3 dynamics IP addresses on our service.

    If I'm not totally mistaken, you should be able to plug the cable modem
    and the hosts into a hub/switch and simply configure them to use DHCP.
    Then your ISP should automatically assign the IPs to your hosts.

    But be careful, as all these machines will be publicly visible on the
    net - including any services that run on them.

    Michael

  3. Re: Multiple connections to cable modem

    Depends on your ISP, first of all. It should work. I'd try it with 2 first
    and see if it works for 2. I have only one IP Address and can get several
    routers to work out of the hub, even using one "outward" ip address.

    Bob

    "John Straumann" wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > My ISP provides 3 dynamics IP addresses on our service. I am wondering if
    > it is possible to have the connection set up so that the connection from
    > the modem goes into a hub, and then I could plug multiple routers into the
    > hub and each router would then be able to grab an IP address from the
    > cable modem? Will that work?
    >
    > I want to set up multiple machines with Dynamic DNS...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    >
    > John.

+ Reply to Thread