Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it - Connectivity ; Gary L. Burnore wrote: > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:51:04 -0500, Baho Utot > wrote: > >> Jerry Stuckle said something stupid: >> >> [putolin] >> >>> Stopping/starting MySQL or Apache won't do anything. >> Yes it will stop ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it

    Gary L. Burnore wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 15:51:04 -0500, Baho Utot
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Jerry Stuckle said something stupid:
    >>
    >> [putolin]
    >>
    >>> Stopping/starting MySQL or Apache won't do anything.

    >> Yes it will stop and start those services. It may or may not fix his issues
    >> but it will indeed "do something".
    >>
    >>> You need utilities like top to check on how your server is running.

    >> And I see Linux admins laughing their asses off.
    >> Please stay on windows jerry. Top won't show you anything useful to correct
    >> his problem.
    >>

    > Poor Jerry. Everyone's out to get him.

    Nope. But once again you've proven I OWN YOU!

    ROFLMAO!

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  2. Re: Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it

    "Epetruk" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> "Epetruk" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>From time to time, I find that I can ping a site that I help maintain, but
    >>>when I try to browse to it, there is a timeout.
    >>>
    >>>This happens whether I use IE or Firefox.
    >>>
    >>>I can ping the site using either the domain name or the IP address, and I
    >>>have problems browsing to it whether I type in the IP address or the
    >>>domain
    >>>name in the browser.
    >>>
    >>>I can access the site's control panel (CPanel) quite easily as well.
    >>>
    >>>Is there anything I can do to find out what the problem is?
    >>>

    >> Try the following Perl script. It takes a URL as a parameter and tries
    >> to access the URL header, and displays the response it gets from the
    >> http server. It's like a stage further than ping, but for web sites.
    >>
    >> eg:
    >>
    >> perl chkhead.pl http://www.example.com/index.html
    >>

    >> #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>
    >> use LWP::UserAgent;
    >> use HTTP::Response
    >>
    >> $url = $ARGV[0];
    >>
    >> $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
    >> $ua->agent("Chkhead.pl");
    >>
    >> my $response = $ua->get($url);
    >>
    >> printf "%s\n",$response->status_line;
    >>

    >Hello Secret Agent,
    >
    >Thanks for your wonderful idea.
    >
    >I don't have perl installed, but I knocked up a quick .NET application which
    >did the same thing, and it could read the content from the site without any
    >problems. This led me to investigate other areas, and I now believe that the
    >problem may be a script which isn't executing - I suspect this is the case,
    >because I have disabled javascript and I can now access the site.
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Akin

    At least we managed to narrow the scope of the problem. Glad to be of
    assistance.

  3. Re: Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it

    John Bokma wrote:

    >(Secret Agent X) wrote:
    >
    >> #!/usr/bin/perl

    >use strict;
    >use warnings;
    >
    >> use LWP::UserAgent;
    >> use HTTP::Response

    >latter is not needed
    >
    >> $url = $ARGV[0];

    >less noise:
    >my $url = shift;
    >
    >> $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
    >> $ua->agent("Chkhead.pl");

    >my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new( agent => 'ChkHead/0.01' );
    >
    >> my $response = $ua->get($url);
    >>
    >> printf "%s\n",$response->status_line;

    >less noise:
    >
    > print $response->status_line, "\n";
    >
    >ymmv of course.

    You wouldn't like to rewrite it as a 12,000 line Windows GUI
    application, would you?

    There's always one.

  4. Re: Can ping my site, but cannot browse to it

    (Secret Agent X) wrote:

    > You wouldn't like to rewrite it as a 12,000 line Windows GUI
    > application, would you?

    If a customer requests so, yes. But first I will advice that with little
    effort Firefox can be used to get the same information in a GUI
    environment.

    > There's always one.

    More important is, did you learn from my advice? Two were more or less
    slylistic, and one was a bit hidden.

    For example I consider it dumb to make response a lexical variable, and ua
    and url not. And why using a module you're not using, but forgetting two
    important pragmata is also beyond me.

    --
    John Bokma http://johnbokma.com/

+ Reply to Thread