Home network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Home network - Connectivity ; I'm reasonably bright and have used computers since the Intel 8088 days but I've never done anything regarding networks. I just bought both a new desktop and laptop and thought I'd setup a home network to make it simple to ...

  1. Home network

    I'm reasonably bright and have used computers since the Intel 8088 days but
    I've never done anything regarding networks. I just bought both a new
    desktop and laptop and thought I'd setup a home network to make it simple to
    transfer files to and from the old system. I bought a D-Link router and
    thought the setup went perfectly as I secured it and all three computer
    connected without a hitch.

    Just as I was about to get all impressed with myself and start thumping my
    chest, I decided to install something on the laptop and, knowing the file
    was stored in the download area of the old desktop, I clicked on that
    computer in the networked area but the connection was refused because I
    don't have permission. Further experimentation showed that I can't actually
    connect to any of the files on any of the three computers from one of the
    others. I've gone in and tried to make sure sharing of files is listed as
    okay but am at a loss to understand why I can't give myself permission to
    look at my own computer.

    I've browsed a couple of newsgroups hoping to find help but haven't seen my
    particular problem. The systems are: HP Desktop runing XP, HP Laptop
    running Vista and Dell Desktop running Vista.

    Is there something simple I'm overlooking? Help, anyone?

    Tim

  2. Re: Home network

    "TS Mathews" wrote in

    > I'm reasonably bright and have used computers since the Intel 8088
    > days but I've never done anything regarding networks. I just bought
    > both a new desktop and laptop and thought I'd setup a home network to
    > make it simple to transfer files to and from the old system. I bought
    > a D-Link router and thought the setup went perfectly as I secured it
    > and all three computer connected without a hitch.
    >
    > Just as I was about to get all impressed with myself and start
    > thumping my chest, I decided to install something on the laptop and,
    > knowing the file was stored in the download area of the old desktop, I
    > clicked on that computer in the networked area but the connection was
    > refused because I don't have permission. Further experimentation
    > showed that I can't actually connect to any of the files on any of the
    > three computers from one of the others. I've gone in and tried to
    > make sure sharing of files is listed as okay but am at a loss to
    > understand why I can't give myself permission to look at my own
    > computer.
    >
    > I've browsed a couple of newsgroups hoping to find help but haven't
    > seen my particular problem. The systems are: HP Desktop runing XP,
    > HP Laptop running Vista and Dell Desktop running Vista.
    >
    > Is there something simple I'm overlooking? Help, anyone?
    >
    > Tim

    I'm in the same boat, Tim. So if you fix it, please let us know.

    I have three machines.

    A - Desktop running XP Pro - CAT5 connection to Netgear router

    B - Desktop running Win2000 - CAT5 connection to router

    C - Laptop running XP Pro - Wireless connection to router

    All machines can _see_ all the others. (they are listed)

    However - A can access all drives on B & C

    B & C can access each other fine.

    BUT - B & C cannot access any drives on A, even though the machine is
    listed.

    Sharing is enabled on all relevant drives but it says permissions are
    not set on machine A.

    I am not sure what other permissions need to be set. I have not un-set
    any so am at a bit of a loss.

    Good luck with your searches, Tim.

    Alan S.

    Remove nojunck to reply direct.