How to share files between computers? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How to share files between computers? - Connectivity ; Hi, Can anyone help please - would like to share files and printer on home network: Computer A (desktop) Windows XP - wired connection to Belkin N modem router Computer B (Laptop) Vista - wireless connection to modem router via ...

  1. How to share files between computers?

    Hi,
    Can anyone help please - would like to share files and printer on home
    network:

    Computer A (desktop) Windows XP - wired connection to Belkin N modem router
    Computer B (Laptop) Vista - wireless connection to modem router via Belkin
    USB adapter

    Router seems fine - all lights on. Can connect to internet from either
    computer no problem. Norton Security 2008 recognises both computers and
    router on its network map. Vista network map also has icons for laptop,
    internet, router and desktop, but I can't access the desktop via this icon
    (perhaps I'm not meant to?) Desktop doesnt seem to recognise laptop at all.
    Have tried lots of possibilities but to no avail, but I don't really know
    what to expect. I would ideally like to be able to drag and drop files
    between the two computers and to use printer linked to desktop. Is this
    possible with this setup?

    Brenda

  2. Re: How to share files between computers?

    "bnhc" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help please - would like to share files and printer on home
    > network:
    >
    > Computer A (desktop) Windows XP - wired connection to Belkin N modem
    > router
    > Computer B (Laptop) Vista - wireless connection to modem router via
    > Belkin USB adapter
    >
    > Router seems fine - all lights on. Can connect to internet from either
    > computer no problem. Norton Security 2008 recognises both computers and
    > router on its network map. Vista network map also has icons for laptop,
    > internet, router and desktop, but I can't access the desktop via this icon
    > (perhaps I'm not meant to?) Desktop doesnt seem to recognise laptop at
    > all. Have tried lots of possibilities but to no avail, but I don't really
    > know what to expect. I would ideally like to be able to drag and drop
    > files between the two computers and to use printer linked to desktop. Is
    > this possible with this setup?
    >
    > Brenda

    I'm pretty sure you need to open your firewalls on both machines, and set up
    file sharing through the windows wizard. Here is a link that offers some
    suggestions. Good luck :
    http://ask.metafilter.com/55244/How-...ed-by-a-router

  3. Re: How to share files between computers?

    On Oct 28, 6:28 pm, "bnhc" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help please - would like to share files and printer on home
    > network:
    >
    > Computer A (desktop) Windows XP - wired connection to Belkin N modem router
    > Computer B (Laptop) Vista - wireless connection to modem router via Belkin
    > USB adapter
    >
    > Router seems fine - all lights on. Can connect to internet from either
    > computer no problem. Norton Security 2008 recognises both computers and
    > router on its network map. Vista network map also has icons for laptop,
    > internet, router and desktop, but I can't access the desktop via this icon
    > (perhaps I'm not meant to?) Desktop doesnt seem to recognise laptop at all.
    > Have tried lots of possibilities but to no avail, but I don't really know
    > what to expect. I would ideally like to be able to drag and drop files
    > between the two computers and to use printer linked to desktop. Is this
    > possible with this setup?
    >
    > Brenda

    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...-vista-xp.html
    http://www.itweek.jaded.co.za/110/fi...n-xp-and-vista

    http://www.itweek.jaded.co.za/110/fi...n-xp-and-vista

  4. Re: How to share files between computers?

    Thanks for suggestions - very helpful.

    I finally got it going - not quite sure how and its very tempremental. I
    think it's the Norton Firewall that was causing the problem. However the
    link between the computers only works if the internet is connected in the
    ADSL socket. Is this meant to happen? I thought that the computers shared
    files thru the router but in the xp computer "my network places" the
    "network location" of my laptop says "internet" rather than "local network".
    Is this right?

    "bnhc" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help please - would like to share files and printer on home
    > network:
    >
    > Computer A (desktop) Windows XP - wired connection to Belkin N modem
    > router
    > Computer B (Laptop) Vista - wireless connection to modem router via
    > Belkin USB adapter
    >
    > Router seems fine - all lights on. Can connect to internet from either
    > computer no problem. Norton Security 2008 recognises both computers and
    > router on its network map. Vista network map also has icons for laptop,
    > internet, router and desktop, but I can't access the desktop via this icon
    > (perhaps I'm not meant to?) Desktop doesnt seem to recognise laptop at
    > all. Have tried lots of possibilities but to no avail, but I don't really
    > know what to expect. I would ideally like to be able to drag and drop
    > files between the two computers and to use printer linked to desktop. Is
    > this possible with this setup?
    >
    > Brenda

+ Reply to Thread