Local Area Connection showing not connected - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Local Area Connection showing not connected - Connectivity ; Hi everyone, I'm running Windows XP service pack w on a NEC laptop. The Local Area Connection icon in the system tray is showing that the cable is unplugged. I am using the exact same cable on Laptop B which ...

  1. Local Area Connection showing not connected

    Hi everyone,

    I'm running Windows XP service pack w on a NEC laptop. The Local Area
    Connection icon in the system tray is showing that the cable is
    unplugged. I am using the exact same cable on Laptop B which has no
    problems. I have tried using a different cable on the laptop, but
    again it shows that the cable is disconnected on the NEC laptop but
    laptop B has no problems.

    The NEC laptop has no problems using other connections. The ethernet
    adapter in question is a VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong as I am
    stumped

    Taras

  2. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    Taras_96 wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP service pack w on a NEC laptop. The Local Area
    > Connection icon in the system tray is showing that the cable is
    > unplugged. I am using the exact same cable on Laptop B which has no
    > problems. I have tried using a different cable on the laptop, but
    > again it shows that the cable is disconnected on the NEC laptop but
    > laptop B has no problems.
    >
    > The NEC laptop has no problems using other connections. The ethernet
    > adapter in question is a VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong as I am
    > stumped
    >
    > Taras

    Sound like your Ethernet Adapter has gone bad. You could try going into
    Device Manager and right clicking on VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet
    Adapter and then left clicking on uninstall. The reboot and see if it
    added back when it finds it. Then see what that does for you. Other
    option is to get a new Ethernet Adapter either a PCMCIA type or an USB type.

    Danny,

  3. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    On Oct 13, 11:55 pm, Taras_96 wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP service pack w on a NEC laptop. The Local Area
    > Connection icon in the system tray is showing that the cable is
    > unplugged. I am using the exact same cable on Laptop B which has no
    > problems. I have tried using a different cable on the laptop, but
    > again it shows that the cable is disconnected on the NEC laptop but
    > laptop B has no problems.
    >
    > The NEC laptop has no problems using other connections. The ethernet
    > adapter in question is a VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong as I am
    > stumped
    >
    > Taras

    You may want to check to make sure the device itself or it's drivers
    are okay (as Danny noted).
    Go to ControlPanel -- System -- Device Manager
    Go to your ethernet adaptor and make sure it doesn't have a yellow ?
    question
    If it has a question then your hardware and device driver are having
    trouble.

    I've had an old laptop where I had to plug the cable in the laptop
    then slightly wiggle it to get it to work.

  4. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    Hi everyone

    Thanks for your replies.

    I didn't think it was a driver issue because the NEC laptop can
    connect to the internet using other connections (eg: at hotels). The
    fact that laptop B can connect to the network at home, while the NEC
    laptop can't, lead me to formulate the idea that the problem might be
    due to the quality of the network i'm trying to connect to.

    The internet comes in on an ethernet cable. I kind of made up the
    theory that the signal might be very weak on the ethernet cable, and
    (I warn you I'm making this up) that the NEC's ethernet card is
    detecting the signal as noise because it's threshold voltage is set
    higher. I figured that if this was, by some fluke, true, that routing
    the signal through a switch I have should fix the problem, as the
    switch should boost the signal level.

    Sure enough, when I tried this, the NEC laptop connected to the
    network. Does my theory hold any credence?

    Taras

  5. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    Taras_96 wrote in
    news:1192553562.981750.292990@e34g2000pro.googlegr oups.com:

    > Hi everyone
    >
    > Thanks for your replies.
    >
    > I didn't think it was a driver issue because the NEC laptop can
    > connect to the internet using other connections (eg: at hotels). The
    > fact that laptop B can connect to the network at home, while the NEC
    > laptop can't, lead me to formulate the idea that the problem might be
    > due to the quality of the network i'm trying to connect to.
    >
    > The internet comes in on an ethernet cable. I kind of made up the
    > theory that the signal might be very weak on the ethernet cable, and
    > (I warn you I'm making this up) that the NEC's ethernet card is
    > detecting the signal as noise because it's threshold voltage is set
    > higher. I figured that if this was, by some fluke, true, that routing
    > the signal through a switch I have should fix the problem, as the
    > switch should boost the signal level.
    >
    > Sure enough, when I tried this, the NEC laptop connected to the
    > network. Does my theory hold any credence?
    >
    > Taras

    Not likely.

    What is more likely is that the Ethernet card usually does an automatic
    Speed/Duplex sensing when connected to a network. Sometimes this
    "automatic" sensing comes up with the wrong answer for whatever reason
    (particularly when older devices are involved). If you start up the
    Device manager, double-click on your network device, then click on the
    "Advanced" tab, you will [usually] see a "Speed/Duplex" option that is
    usually set to "Auto" but you may find that you need to set it manually
    to work on some network connections.

    In your case, connecting a switch causes it to negotiate the speed with
    the switch instead of [presumably] your modem. It may work better with
    the switch.

    HTH,
    John

  6. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    have u insttalled the driver of both lan card driver then use cross
    cable or switch if u think yopur cable is ok then make a share folder
    in both the computer then use the ping command

  7. Re: Local Area Connection showing not connected

    > Not likely.

    It was worth a shot

    > What is more likely is that the Ethernet card usually does an automatic
    > Speed/Duplex sensing when connected to a network. Sometimes this
    > "automatic" sensing comes up with the wrong answer for whatever reason
    > (particularly when older devices are involved). If you start up the
    > Device manager, double-click on your network device, then click on the
    > "Advanced" tab, you will [usually] see a "Speed/Duplex" option that is
    > usually set to "Auto" but you may find that you need to set it manually
    > to work on some network connections.
    >
    > In your case, connecting a switch causes it to negotiate the speed with
    > the switch instead of [presumably] your modem. It may work better with
    > the switch.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Yes it does help and is an interesting read- thanks John!

+ Reply to Thread