following -current by snapshots and keeping the system synced - BSD

This is a discussion on following -current by snapshots and keeping the system synced - BSD ; I'd like to follow -current but I don't want to compile everything when I need to upgrade or install a new package. The solution seems to use the binary snapshots. I know that snapshots aren't an OpenBSD flavor, but in ...

  1. following -current by snapshots and keeping the system synced

    I'd like to follow -current but I don't want to compile everything when
    I need to upgrade or install a new package. The solution seems to use
    the binary snapshots. I know that snapshots aren't an OpenBSD flavor,
    but in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldBinary I read that if my
    goal is -current I have to binary upgrade to latest snapshot and then,
    OPTIONALLY, fetch & build -current. So it's ok to stay with a snapshot.

    But what shall I do with packages? If today I install a snapshot and
    some packages, and next week I want to install some other packages, how
    can I tell if I also have to reinstall the system in order to have
    everything synced?

    Thank you,
    p.

  2. Re: following -current by snapshots and keeping the system synced

    In article <0NQIi.1219$O12.1006@news.edisontel.com>,
    torn wrote:
    >I'd like to follow -current but I don't want to compile everything when
    >I need to upgrade or install a new package. The solution seems to use
    >the binary snapshots. I know that snapshots aren't an OpenBSD flavor,
    >but in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldBinary I read that if my
    >goal is -current I have to binary upgrade to latest snapshot and then,
    >OPTIONALLY, fetch & build -current. So it's ok to stay with a snapshot.
    >
    >But what shall I do with packages? If today I install a snapshot and
    >some packages, and next week I want to install some other packages, how
    >can I tell if I also have to reinstall the system in order to have
    >everything synced?

    Try installing the packages. There are checks with respect to shared
    library versions, and you'll notice when you no longer have recent
    enough shared libraries in your base system. Namely, the packages will
    say they cannot find the correct version of the libc, or some similar
    basic component.

+ Reply to Thread