Trouble downloading packages - BSD

This is a discussion on Trouble downloading packages - BSD ; I succeeded in downloading and installing OpenBSD, but now, problem is that I cannot download packages. I followed the instructions from here: http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html I typed: # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386/ # pkg_add gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz because it is Gnome that I want to install ...

  1. Trouble downloading packages

    I succeeded in downloading and installing OpenBSD, but now, problem is
    that I cannot download packages.
    I followed the instructions from here: http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html
    I typed:
    # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386/
    # pkg_add gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz

    because it is Gnome that I want to install first of all. I get this
    error:

    Error from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386:
    550 Failed to change directory.
    Can't find gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz
    /usr/sbin/pkg_add: gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz:Fatal error
    Why is this wrong?

    Question no 2:
    I did not yet completely understand the difference from Linux and BSD,
    besides from that the kernels are not the same. If I for example
    download the Linux version of, lets say, Google Earth, will it work on
    my machine with OpenBSD installed?

    Thanks in advance,
    Edit/Delete Message

  2. Re: Trouble downloading packages

    For one, I would not download from the main site. Use one of the
    mirrors closest to you.

    You can add verbosity to pkg_add by using the -v (or -vv, or -vvv).
    This should help you better diagnose the problem.

    Thomas wrote:
    > I succeeded in downloading and installing OpenBSD, but now, problem is
    > that I cannot download packages.
    > I followed the instructions from here: http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html
    > I typed:
    > # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386/
    > # pkg_add gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz
    >
    > because it is Gnome that I want to install first of all. I get this
    > error:
    >
    > Error from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386:
    > 550 Failed to change directory.
    > Can't find gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz
    > /usr/sbin/pkg_add: gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz:Fatal error
    > Why is this wrong?
    >
    > Question no 2:
    > I did not yet completely understand the difference from Linux and BSD,
    > besides from that the kernels are not the same. If I for example
    > download the Linux version of, lets say, Google Earth, will it work on
    > my machine with OpenBSD installed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Edit/Delete Message

  3. Re: Trouble downloading packages

    To answer your question number 2:

    You must install the Linux emulation function that OBSD has. You can
    find that in the FAQ.

    As to Google Earth, install the RPM and try it out...

    welcome to the BSD world, a world of true freedom...

    Thomas wrote:
    > I succeeded in downloading and installing OpenBSD, but now, problem is
    > that I cannot download packages.
    > I followed the instructions from here: http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html
    > I typed:
    > # export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386/
    > # pkg_add gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz
    >
    > because it is Gnome that I want to install first of all. I get this
    > error:
    >
    > Error from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/i386:
    > 550 Failed to change directory.
    > Can't find gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz
    > /usr/sbin/pkg_add: gnome-desktop-2.10.2p2.tgz:Fatal error
    > Why is this wrong?
    >
    > Question no 2:
    > I did not yet completely understand the difference from Linux and BSD,
    > besides from that the kernels are not the same. If I for example
    > download the Linux version of, lets say, Google Earth, will it work on
    > my machine with OpenBSD installed?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Edit/Delete Message

  4. Re: Trouble downloading packages

    On Oct 1, 6:21 pm, Clever Monkey
    wrote:
    > torrfisken wrote:
    > > On Sep 21, 12:24 am, Bryan wrote:
    > >> To answer your question number 2:

    > >> You must install the Linux emulation function that OBSD has. You can
    > >> find that in the FAQ.

    > >> As to Google Earth, install the RPM and try it out...

    > >> welcome to the BSD world, a world of true freedom...

    > > Thanks for your answers Bryan, I've solved the problem.
    > > I thought I was going to receive an e-mail when someone answer to my
    > > post

    > Unless you set the follow-up header to CC a copy to your email, simply
    > responding via NNTP will not automagically do so. Even so, most people
    > will ignore the return email, since so often such emails are just spam
    > harvesters.
    > --
    > clvrmnky
    >
    > Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    > contact me directly.

    Clever Monkey

    Thanks for the info.

+ Reply to Thread