OpenGL, GLUT, etc - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenGL, GLUT, etc - BSD ; I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._ but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book. Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD? apropos OpenGL has a little info, ...

  1. OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.

    Thanks,
    Dave Feustel

    --

  2. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave wrote:
    > I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    > but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    > Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    > apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.

    You can use the Mesa implementation of OpenGL (http://www.mesa3d.org/)
    which is bundled in the X.org file sets.
    GLUT is available in the ports tree.

  3. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >> I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    >> but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    >> Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    >> apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.

    > You can use the Mesa implementation of OpenGL (http://www.mesa3d.org/)
    > which is bundled in the X.org file sets.
    > GLUT is available in the ports tree.

    Mesa is mentioned in the Super Bible (SB). My impression is that
    one uses mesa when there is no hardware driver support for OpenGL
    and that the version of OpenGL/Mesa supported is determined by the
    video driver support. I.e. upgrading OpenGL (eg from 2.0 to 2.1)
    requires upgrading the video driver. Is that correct?
    --

  4. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave wrote:
    > I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    > but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    > Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    > apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave Feustel

    I have installed the glut package and am now building and running the OpenGL program
    examples in the SuperBible. Would these programs run faster with open source drivers
    for ATI video cards?

    Thanks.

    --

  5. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave writes:

    > dave wrote:
    >> I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    >> but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    >> Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    >> apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dave Feustel

    > I have installed the glut package and am now building and running the OpenGL program
    > examples in the SuperBible. Would these programs run faster with open source drivers
    > for ATI video cards?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --

    afaik, opensource ATI video card drivers are much limited in
    hardware 3D supports. only some very old display cards are fully
    3D accelerated, such as those with R200 cores...

    it seems that ATI cards above Radeon 9xxx are only 2D
    accelerated...

    --
    But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and
    in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

  6. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dhg wrote:
    > dave writes:
    >
    >> dave wrote:
    >>> I have just started reading _The OpenGL Superbible, 4th ed._
    >>> but there is absolutely no mention of *BSD anywhere in the book.
    >>> Is there an overview of OpenGL, GLUT, etc. as used in OpenBSD?
    >>> apropos OpenGL has a little info, but not much.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dave Feustel

    >> I have installed the glut package and am now building and running the OpenGL program
    >> examples in the SuperBible. Would these programs run faster with open source drivers
    >> for ATI video cards?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --

    > afaik, opensource ATI video card drivers are much limited in
    > hardware 3D supports. only some very old display cards are fully
    > 3D accelerated, such as those with R200 cores...
    >
    > it seems that ATI cards above Radeon 9xxx are only 2D
    > accelerated...

    I've built and run most of the example programs in the SuperBible. I now need GLSL to
    run programs. Is GLSL available for OpenBSD?

    --

  7. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave wrote:
    > dhg wrote:
    >> dave writes:

    >>> I have installed the glut package and am now building and running the OpenGL program
    >>> examples in the SuperBible. Would these programs run faster with open source drivers
    >>> for ATI video cards?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> afaik, opensource ATI video card drivers are much limited in
    >> hardware 3D supports. only some very old display cards are fully
    >> 3D accelerated, such as those with R200 cores...
    >>
    >> it seems that ATI cards above Radeon 9xxx are only 2D
    >> accelerated...

    > I've built and run most of the example programs in the SuperBible. I now need GLSL to
    > run programs. Is GLSL available for OpenBSD?

    Are PBO extensions available for OpenBSD?

    --

  8. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >> dhg wrote:

    >>> afaik, opensource ATI video card drivers are much limited in
    >>> hardware 3D supports. only some very old display cards are fully
    >>> 3D accelerated, such as those with R200 cores...
    >>>
    >>> it seems that ATI cards above Radeon 9xxx are only 2D
    >>> accelerated...

    >> I've built and run most of the example programs in the SuperBible. I now need GLSL to
    >> run programs. Is GLSL available for OpenBSD?

    > Are PBO extensions available for OpenBSD?

    Also, it would be nice to support OpenGL 1.4.

    /home/daf}glxinfo | grep -i version
    server glx version string: 1.2
    client glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
    glu version: 1.3

    --

  9. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    >>> I've built and run most of the example programs in the SuperBible. I now need GLSL to
    >>> run programs. Is GLSL available for OpenBSD?

    >> Are PBO extensions available for OpenBSD?

    > Also, it would be nice to support OpenGL 1.4.
    >
    > /home/daf}glxinfo | grep -i version
    > server glx version string: 1.2
    > client glx version string: 1.4
    > OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
    > glu version: 1.3

    Any chance of getting the OpenEXR package updated to include the IlmThread library?
    --

  10. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dave writes:

    > dave wrote:
    >> dave wrote:

    >>> I've built and run most of the example programs in the SuperBible. I now need GLSL to
    >>> run programs. Is GLSL available for OpenBSD?

    >> Are PBO extensions available for OpenBSD?

    > Also, it would be nice to support OpenGL 1.4.
    >
    > /home/daf}glxinfo | grep -i version
    > server glx version string: 1.2
    > client glx version string: 1.4
    > OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
    > glu version: 1.3
    >

    > --

    the current version of Xorg under OpenBSD is still 6.9.0 ?
    Xorg 6.9.0 still uses Mesa 6.x. while Xorg 7.3 now uses Mesa 7.x

    --
    But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and
    in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
    -- Romans 10:8

  11. Re: OpenGL, GLUT, etc

    dhg wrote:

    > the current version of Xorg under OpenBSD is still 6.9.0 ?
    > Xorg 6.9.0 still uses Mesa 6.x. while Xorg 7.3 now uses Mesa 7.x

    /var/log}grep 6.9 Xorg.0.log
    X Window System Version 6.9.0 (for OpenBSD)

    running 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.1.