which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1 - BSD

This is a discussion on which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1 - BSD ; Hi, I like to buy a new computer. I will use OpenBSD 4.1. Machine will include as much as possible SATA disks in raid + encryption. Server will be used as secure storage for my files. Next to this I ...

  1. which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1

    Hi,

    I like to buy a new computer. I will use OpenBSD 4.1. Machine will
    include as much as possible SATA disks in raid + encryption. Server
    will be used as secure storage for my files. Next to this I like to
    run some video encoding (mencoder) for videos (DV -> ogg + x264 in
    matroska) there too. So I like to try firstly a dual-core processor.
    >From some reading, I have feeling, that OpenBSD developers prefer for

    64bits AMD. Is that correct? Could you kindly recommend , if amd64 is
    really prefered for 64-bit, and which dual.core processor is good
    (fully utilised in OpenBSD/amd64 4.1), from Athlon 64 / Opteron /
    Turion 64 and Sempron models? Thank you.

    PS: I expect, that I have to install bsd.mp file set?

    Jiri

  2. Re: which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1

    plavcik@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like to buy a new computer. I will use OpenBSD 4.1. Machine will
    > include as much as possible SATA disks in raid + encryption. Server
    > will be used as secure storage for my files. Next to this I like to
    > run some video encoding (mencoder) for videos (DV -> ogg + x264 in
    > matroska) there too. So I like to try firstly a dual-core processor.
    >>From some reading, I have feeling, that OpenBSD developers prefer for

    > 64bits AMD. Is that correct? Could you kindly recommend , if amd64 is
    > really prefered for 64-bit, and which dual.core processor is good
    > (fully utilised in OpenBSD/amd64 4.1), from Athlon 64 / Opteron /
    > Turion 64 and Sempron models? Thank you.
    >
    > PS: I expect, that I have to install bsd.mp file set?

    I understand secure storage, and I understand video editing, but do
    those really make sense to do on the same box? You might want to
    occasionally recode a video in storage, of course, but that hardly
    qualifies as heavy CPU load.

    If this is correct, go with a good storage subsystem in the most basic
    box you can find (you don't need dualcore 64-bit just to recode the
    occasional video!). For storage, mpi(4) and arc(4) are supposed to be
    nice. arc(4) is nicer and faster, but quite a bit newer - so likely to
    be more expensive, too.
    For a cheaper solution, take a look at raidframe (or softraid, if you
    are feeling very brave).

    Layering an encrypting vnd(4) on top of that is not particularly
    difficult.

    As to the processor: if you don't go with the `cheapest possible' option
    hinted at above, some things to keep in mind:
    - n-core processors, for n > 1, require bsd.mp to make use of
    all cores
    - 64-bit processor require a 64-bit architecture to actually make use of
    the 64-bit features (that is, the only way to get 64-bit OpenBSD
    programs is to run OpenBSD/amd64, even on systems like the AMD64 where
    the processor supports mixing 32- and 64-bit code - OpenBSD doesn't).
    - all sensible (post-386, 386-based) Intel or AMD processors are
    supported, but...
    - do look up Theo's message to misc@ about the new Intel chips, and form
    your own opinion

    If this is just a home project, though, all this sounds overkill. Just
    use your desktop box and some backup solution, and you'll be fine.

    Joachim

  3. Re: which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1

    Thank you Joachim, for the fast and extensive answer.

    It's a home project, so I will use try raid(4) (RAIDframe disk driver)

    The 2-pass encondig I'm using now on my notebook take until a day, so
    I prefer to move this task to the new machine.

    Regarding 64bit AMD models, can I pick any one from Athlon 64 /
    Opteron / Turion 64 and Sempron models, or exist a reasons to prefer
    one/some of them?

    Thank you,
    Jiri

  4. Re: which 64bit dual-core CPU for OpenBSD 4.1

    plavcik@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thank you Joachim, for the fast and extensive answer.
    >
    > It's a home project, so I will use try raid(4) (RAIDframe disk driver)
    >
    > The 2-pass encondig I'm using now on my notebook take until a day, so
    > I prefer to move this task to the new machine.
    >
    > Regarding 64bit AMD models, can I pick any one from Athlon 64 /
    > Opteron / Turion 64 and Sempron models, or exist a reasons to prefer
    > one/some of them?

    Pick whichever you want, OpenBSD will work fine. Of course, faster
    models are still faster...

    Do do some research on whether or not your preferred video encoding
    application will use more than one core on OpenBSD; most won't,
    especially as OpenBSD's current threading implementation does not permit
    a threaded program to use more than one core. (Whereas e.g. Linux would
    permit using one core per thread - this is not usually a problem, as
    such workloads are not very common, but video encoding just might be one
    of them.)

    It's your own choice to either run two in parallel, or settle for the
    fastest single-core processor you can find.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread