Maxima - BSD

This is a discussion on Maxima - BSD ; Maxima is not in AMD 64-bit OpenBSD 4.1 package collection. I tried Jacal, but it does not have the tensor support that I need. How badly is Maxima broken vis-a-vis OpenBSD? Thanks. --...

  1. Maxima

    --

  2. Re: Maxima

    dave wrote:
    > Maxima is not in AMD 64-bit OpenBSD 4.1 package collection.
    > I tried Jacal, but it does not have the tensor support
    > that I need. How badly is Maxima broken vis-a-vis OpenBSD?

    Maxima requires clisp, which is currently marked i386-only.
    You can try to update the clisp port to a newer version and see if that
    works on amd64.

  3. Re: Maxima

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >> Maxima is not in AMD 64-bit OpenBSD 4.1 package collection.
    >> I tried Jacal, but it does not have the tensor support
    >> that I need. How badly is Maxima broken vis-a-vis OpenBSD?

    > Maxima requires clisp, which is currently marked i386-only.
    > You can try to update the clisp port to a newer version and see if that
    > works on amd64.

    There are about 6 different versions of lisp which Maxima can use.
    I am working my way through them to see if any will build on OpenBSD.
    Gcl configures, but errors out during build for reasons I have not
    yet figured out.

    I also just found out about another symbolic package called Axiom
    which has some tensor support, (and very good documentation, I think.
    See http://axiom.axiom-developer.org)
    but it also requires Lisp, so Lisp is definitely a stumbling block.
    --

  4. Re: Maxima

    dave wrote:
    > steven mestdagh wrote:
    >> dave wrote:
    >>> Maxima is not in AMD 64-bit OpenBSD 4.1 package collection.
    >>> I tried Jacal, but it does not have the tensor support
    >>> that I need. How badly is Maxima broken vis-a-vis OpenBSD?

    >> Maxima requires clisp, which is currently marked i386-only.
    >> You can try to update the clisp port to a newer version and see if that
    >> works on amd64.

    > There are about 6 different versions of lisp which Maxima can use.
    > I am working my way through them to see if any will build on OpenBSD.
    > Gcl configures, but errors out during build for reasons I have not
    > yet figured out.
    >
    > I also just found out about another symbolic package called Axiom
    > which has some tensor support, (and very good documentation, I think.
    > See http://axiom.axiom-developer.org)

    This documentation is less impressive than it appears.
    The developer volume is not present and all the other volumes
    are identical copies of each other.

    > but it also requires Lisp, so Lisp is definitely a stumbling block.

    I have found another open source CAS package specifically for tensors (TELA),
    but this package has many requirements for other software.
    See http://www.ava.fmi.fi/prog/tela.html for details.