Problems with ccd on -cur [i386] - BSD

This is a discussion on Problems with ccd on -cur [i386] - BSD ; Hi list! I have two identical 400 GB disks and I am trying to combine them with ccd. But if I run disklabel -r -v ccd0 I get these Error: # disklabel -v -r ccd0 reading label from block 0, ...

  1. Problems with ccd on -cur [i386]

    Hi list!
    I have two identical 400 GB disks and I am trying to combine them with
    ccd. But if I run disklabel -r -v ccd0 I get these Error:

    # disklabel -v -r ccd0
    reading label from block 0, offset 512
    disklabel: no disklabel found. scanning.
    disklabel: no disk label

    This is what i have done:
    # disklabel -E wd1 (create a d partition (type ccd) with an offset of
    one cylinder (16065))
    # disklabel -E wd2 (same as wd1)
    # ccdconfig ccd0 16 none /dev/wd1d /dev/wd2d

    # disklabel -v -r wd1
    # Inside MBR partition 3: type A6 start 63 size 781417602
    reading label from block 63, offset 575
    # /dev/rwd1c:
    type: ESDI
    disk: ESDI/IDE disk
    label: SAMSUNG HD400LD
    flags:
    bytes/sector: 512
    sectors/track: 63
    tracks/cylinder: 255
    sectors/cylinder: 16065
    cylinders: 48641
    total sectors: 781422768
    rpm: 3600
    interleave: 1
    trackskew: 0
    cylinderskew: 0
    headswitch: 0 # microseconds
    track-to-track seek: 0 # microseconds
    drivedata: 0

    16 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    c: 781422768 0 unused 0 0
    d: 781401600 16065 ccd

    # disklabel -E ccd0
    Initial label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)

    device: /dev/rccd0c
    type: ccd
    disk: ccd
    label: fictitious
    bytes/sector: 512
    sectors/track: 16
    tracks/cylinder: 2
    sectors/cylinder: 32
    cylinders: 48837600
    total sectors: 1562803200
    free sectors: 1040209236
    rpm: 3600

    16 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    c: 1562803200 0 unused 0 0
    i: 1555194568 1040209236 unknown

    Any ideas?? I can post dmesg or any other output if somebody needs it.

    Thaks for reading.

    -mm

  2. Re: Problems with ccd on -cur [i386]

    mm wrote:
    > Hi list!
    > I have two identical 400 GB disks and I am trying to combine them with
    > ccd. But if I run disklabel -r -v ccd0 I get these Error:
    >
    > # disklabel -v -r ccd0
    > reading label from block 0, offset 512
    > disklabel: no disklabel found. scanning.
    > disklabel: no disk label

    Don't you just need to create a disklabel on the ccd device (ccd is
    again a block device, which again needs a disklabel)?

    > This is what i have done:
    > # disklabel -E wd1 (create a d partition (type ccd) with an offset of
    > one cylinder (16065))
    > # disklabel -E wd2 (same as wd1)
    > # ccdconfig ccd0 16 none /dev/wd1d /dev/wd2d

    > # disklabel -E ccd0
    > Initial label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)

    > device: /dev/rccd0c
    > type: ccd
    > disk: ccd
    > label: fictitious
    > bytes/sector: 512
    > sectors/track: 16
    > tracks/cylinder: 2
    > sectors/cylinder: 32
    > cylinders: 48837600
    > total sectors: 1562803200
    > free sectors: 1040209236
    > rpm: 3600
    >
    > 16 partitions:
    > # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    > c: 1562803200 0 unused 0 0
    > i: 1555194568 1040209236 unknown

  3. Re: Problems with ccd on -cur [i386]

    Joachim Schipper schrieb:
    > mm wrote:
    >> Hi list!
    >> I have two identical 400 GB disks and I am trying to combine them with
    >> ccd. But if I run disklabel -r -v ccd0 I get these Error:
    >>
    >> # disklabel -v -r ccd0
    >> reading label from block 0, offset 512
    >> disklabel: no disklabel found. scanning.
    >> disklabel: no disk label

    > Don't you just need to create a disklabel on the ccd device (ccd is
    > again a block device, which again needs a disklabel)?

    Afiak needs ccd a disklabel as a normal disk. This is why you have to
    skip one zylinder at the component disks.

    >> This is what i have done:
    >> # disklabel -E wd1 (create a d partition (type ccd) with an offset of
    >> one cylinder (16065))
    >> # disklabel -E wd2 (same as wd1)
    >> # ccdconfig ccd0 16 none /dev/wd1d /dev/wd2d

    >> # disklabel -E ccd0
    >> Initial label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)

    >> device: /dev/rccd0c
    >> type: ccd
    >> disk: ccd
    >> label: fictitious
    >> bytes/sector: 512
    >> sectors/track: 16
    >> tracks/cylinder: 2
    >> sectors/cylinder: 32
    >> cylinders: 48837600
    >> total sectors: 1562803200
    >> free sectors: 1040209236
    >> rpm: 3600
    >>
    >> 16 partitions:
    >> # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    >> c: 1562803200 0 unused 0 0
    >> i: 1555194568 1040209236 unknown

  4. Re: Problems with ccd on -cur [i386]

    mm wrote:
    > Joachim Schipper schrieb:
    >> mm wrote:
    >>> Hi list!
    >>> I have two identical 400 GB disks and I am trying to combine them with
    >>> ccd. But if I run disklabel -r -v ccd0 I get these Error:
    >>>
    >>> # disklabel -v -r ccd0
    >>> reading label from block 0, offset 512
    >>> disklabel: no disklabel found. scanning.
    >>> disklabel: no disk label

    >> Don't you just need to create a disklabel on the ccd device (ccd is
    >> again a block device, which again needs a disklabel)?

    > Afiak needs ccd a disklabel as a normal disk.

    Yes. Have you created a disklabel on the ccd device? You also need a
    disklabel on the component disks, of course, but you appear to have done
    that in a fashion that will, at least, work.

    > This is why you have to
    > skip one zylinder at the component disks.

    Umm... what?

    For the record, I hope someone else here is willing to help you further,
    because I am leaving on holiday tomorrow - I'm packing right now.

    Joachim

    >>> This is what i have done:
    >>> # disklabel -E wd1 (create a d partition (type ccd) with an offset of
    >>> one cylinder (16065))
    >>> # disklabel -E wd2 (same as wd1)
    >>> # ccdconfig ccd0 16 none /dev/wd1d /dev/wd2d

    >>> # disklabel -E ccd0
    >>> Initial label editor (enter '?' for help at any prompt)
    >>> device: /dev/rccd0c
    >>> type: ccd
    >>> disk: ccd
    >>> label: fictitious
    >>> bytes/sector: 512
    >>> sectors/track: 16
    >>> tracks/cylinder: 2
    >>> sectors/cylinder: 32
    >>> cylinders: 48837600
    >>> total sectors: 1562803200
    >>> free sectors: 1040209236
    >>> rpm: 3600
    >>>
    >>> 16 partitions:
    >>> # size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
    >>> c: 1562803200 0 unused 0 0
    >>> i: 1555194568 1040209236 unknown

  5. Re: Problems with ccd on -cur [i386]

    Joachim Schipper schrieb:
    > mm wrote:
    >> Joachim Schipper schrieb:

    >>> Don't you just need to create a disklabel on the ccd device (ccd is
    >>> again a block device, which again needs a disklabel)?

    >> Afiak needs ccd a disklabel as a normal disk.

    > Yes. Have you created a disklabel on the ccd device? You also need a
    > disklabel on the component disks, of course, but you appear to have done
    > that in a fashion that will, at least, work.

    I tried to create a disklabel on ccd, but after deleting the i
    partition, creating a d partion an a reboot I get a
    ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd0c: Device busy and
    # disklabel -E ccd
    disklabel: /dev/rccd: No such file or directory

    >> This is why you have to
    >> skip one zylinder at the component disks.

    > Umm... what?

    Afiak you have to skip at least one cylinder at each component disk (In
    my case I set an offset of 16065 on wd1 and wd2)

    > For the record, I hope someone else here is willing to help you further,

    I hope so too.
    > because I am leaving on holiday tomorrow - I'm packing right now.

    Enjoy our holyday. =)

    > Joachim

+ Reply to Thread