OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems - BSD ; I found that i'm not the only one having problems with X11. For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of X11 takes two minutes ...

  1. OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems

    I found that i'm not the only one having problems with X11.

    For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is
    sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of
    X11 takes two minutes (on an AthlonX2 4400) and after this it is also
    extremely slow.

    Worst of all, it seems that network is also not working anymore (maybe
    a problem with my hardware) but i can't login via ssh and just kill
    the OS.

    Seems that this release is far from being prime time useable. Don't
    have any problems with the i386 (on a Matrox G450 instead the
    Radeon7000 of the 64bit machine) build, only the 64bit one is instable.

  2. Re: OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems

    llothar wrote:
    > I found that i'm not the only one having problems with X11.
    >
    > For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is
    > sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of
    > X11 takes two minutes (on an AthlonX2 4400) and after this it is also
    > extremely slow.

    Have you tried replacing the keyboard?

    > Worst of all, it seems that network is also not working anymore (maybe
    > a problem with my hardware) but i can't login via ssh and just kill
    > the OS.
    >
    > Seems that this release is far from being prime time useable. Don't
    > have any problems with the i386 (on a Matrox G450 instead the
    > Radeon7000 of the 64bit machine) build, only the 64bit one is instable.

    While I have had some problems with 4.1, I've had no problems like you are
    encountering. I know that my system was rooted at some point while I was
    running 4.0 and I think most of the problems were the result of exploits.

    I'm runnin 64-bit Openbsd 4.1 on a 3500+ Athlon64 and starting up kde takes
    something on the order of 10-15 seconds. I have made xterm the default console
    driver and I have no problems with it.

    Did you install from 4.1 cdroms or something else?

    My graphics card is a radeon x550. The motherboard is a k9n neo.

  3. Re: OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems

    llothar writes:

    > For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is
    > sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of
    > X11 takes two minutes (on an AthlonX2 4400) and after this it is also
    > extremely slow.

    I'd try a different keyboard and see if it makes a difference. I
    suspect bad hardware.

    > Worst of all, it seems that network is also not working anymore (maybe
    > a problem with my hardware) but i can't login via ssh and just kill
    > the OS.

    "it is not working anymore". Not even close to enough information to
    offer anything like useful feedback. Assuming your keyboard and/or
    the keyboard controller is already failing, it is not a great leap
    from there to "hey, your network circuitry is dying as well".

    At the very least *try* to do some basic debugging steps, then maybe
    somebody will be able to help.

    http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/

  4. Re: OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    > llothar writes:
    >
    >> For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is
    >> sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of
    >> X11 takes two minutes (on an AthlonX2 4400) and after this it is also
    >> extremely slow.

    Since you are using an AMD AM2 chip, can you rule out the
    possibility that your system is running in virtual mode
    (and hence slower) as a result of having been
    infected with some variant of 'The Blue Pill'?

  5. Re: OpenBSD 4.1 amd64 - X11 problems

    dave wrote:
    > Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    >> llothar writes:
    >>
    >>> For me it turns out to be completely unuseable. The keyboard driver is
    >>> sending continuesly 'k' characters to the xterm, the whole startup of
    >>> X11 takes two minutes (on an AthlonX2 4400) and after this it is also
    >>> extremely slow.

    > Since you are using an AMD AM2 chip, can you rule out the
    > possibility that your system is running in virtual mode
    > (and hence slower) as a result of having been
    > infected with some variant of 'The Blue Pill'?

    I mention the above because today I experienced a very slow system with no network
    throughput. This behavior survived through a reboot, so I turned the computer off
    for a half hour. When I restarted it, the computer ran at normal speed and my network
    connection worked again.

    Note that some Intel motherboards have bioses that boot up with virtualization
    capability disabled. This is beginning to look to me like a good idea.