Can't access /etc/passwd anymore - BSD

This is a discussion on Can't access /etc/passwd anymore - BSD ; When i use 'adduser' or 'usermod' i get the error message: usermod: can't obtain pw_lock: File exists But i can't find any lock file that might be obvious. So how can i remove the lock, rebooting doesn't help....

  1. Can't access /etc/passwd anymore

    When i use 'adduser' or 'usermod' i get the error message:

    usermod: can't obtain pw_lock: File exists

    But i can't find any lock file that might be obvious. So how can i
    remove the lock,
    rebooting doesn't help.

  2. Re: Can't access /etc/passwd anymore

    llothar wrote:
    > When i use 'adduser' or 'usermod' i get the error message:
    >
    > usermod: can't obtain pw_lock: File exists
    >
    > But i can't find any lock file that might be obvious. So how can i
    > remove the lock,
    > rebooting doesn't help.

    You could find out using ktrace(8). (Did you already try ls -A /etc? I
    suppose you did, but...)

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread