Socket connection refused - BSD

This is a discussion on Socket connection refused - BSD ; I just installed my first OpenBSD system and tried to setup an subversion server. But always when i try to connect get the error "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it." Is there any option ...

  1. Socket connection refused

    I just installed my first OpenBSD system and tried to setup an
    subversion server.

    But always when i try to connect get the error "No connection could be
    made because the target machine actively refused it."

    Is there any option that i must set to allow incomming connections? I
    already checked that in rc.config there is a "pf=NO" statement.

  2. Re: Socket connection refused

    On 24 Aug., 09:29, llothar wrote:

    Forgot to say that i tried to connect from a WinXP machine (MS
    firewall disabled).

  3. Re: Socket connection refused

    llothar wrote:
    > I just installed my first OpenBSD system and tried to setup an
    > subversion server.
    >
    > But always when i try to connect get the error "No connection could be
    > made because the target machine actively refused it."
    >
    > Is there any option that i must set to allow incomming connections? I
    > already checked that in rc.config there is a "pf=NO" statement.

    How did you set up Subversion? There are at least three major ways
    (svnserve, SSH, Apache), the latter of which is somewhat painful on
    OpenBSD.

    I'd recommend to go with Subversion over SSH unless you have a very good
    reason to do otherwise. It's convenient, fast, secure, and easy to set
    up, once you know that the subversion user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
    should look like (no line breaks; 'joachim', '/var/svn/repositories',
    and the public key part should be changed to fit your local situation;
    see sshd(8) for the documentation of authorized_keys).

    command="umask 027; svnserve -t --tunnel-user=joachim -r /var/svn/repositories",no-port-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEA8YSOueyTYoLcPHaXjC9Dbz n90nyZ5ajVtfvjhN7VachCXqmF611QRhVtWrFcoG4LmS/i5LgCtGTHepNLOKW6aN3nYnvmzIJ9O5Z0/Lei3uLNp8NSyW06NoHl+lNcAS14bfMp/kQq618miwdeyDzZZUGiM/STxuB5XoTNCE3mqgzQ8DW3tZq2H5gfKxcMgogdij9R7veCjhGq 9zwC01M7n4ITx6elefQkKZIxSJMHJRNhNYFNkV/8WIu7Ru0CWYxr6l0BeFdYCxLxUrjVaYNzO41AcMbS8CJ8hCftk NAGrh9JGTPkDY+mobAtPFn4c74Wij7V/4AMLCTiG/H+EGI47Q== joachim@jschipper.dynalias.net

    I personally use /var/svn as a home directory of a user 'svn' or '_svn',
    depending on what I thought looked better when I set up the host; there
    is a directory /var/svn/repositories, which contains all my
    repositories, e.g. /var/svn/repositories/myrepo. These are then
    accessible as e.g. svn+ssh://svn@svnhost/myrepo.

    If the above does not help, feel free to ask questions. If you tried to
    do it another way, and still want to do it that way, feel free to post
    back with more information and I'll try to help.

    Joachim

  4. Re: Socket connection refused

    On 24 Aug., 13:20, "Joachim Schipper"
    wrote:

    I'm only using svnserve because the server is only inside a VM on my
    local devel machine, providing the code
    to all the other VM's running with different systems. So there is no
    security problem at all.

    I've choose openbsd because only netbsd had the same small memory
    footprint (disk + server) for such a
    simple server.

    So back to the connection problem where is the problem with a fresh
    install and a command line call of
    "svnserve -r /home/llothar/repositories -d -listen-port=4711" ?

  5. Re: Socket connection refused

    "llothar" wrote in message
    news:1187953846.917533.274290@l22g2000prc.googlegr oups.com...
    > On 24 Aug., 13:20, "Joachim Schipper"
    > wrote:
    >
    > I'm only using svnserve because the server is only inside a VM on my
    > local devel machine, providing the code
    > to all the other VM's running with different systems. So there is no
    > security problem at all.
    >
    > I've choose openbsd because only netbsd had the same small memory
    > footprint (disk + server) for such a
    > simple server.
    >
    > So back to the connection problem where is the problem with a fresh
    > install and a command line call of
    > "svnserve -r /home/llothar/repositories -d -listen-port=4711" ?

    I have svn working fine on my boxes here. My notes say:

    - /etc/inetd.conf: enable svn:
    svn stream tcp nowait svn
    /usr/local/bin/svnserve svnserve -i -r /u1/svn (where /u1/svn is the
    repository path)
    - /etc/services: enable svn:
    svn 3690/tcp # Subversion
    svn 3690/udp # Subversion

    Also don't forget the svn user, and ensure the repository folder is
    owned by svn.

    Hope this helps,

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

  6. Re: Socket connection refused

    llothar wrote:
    > On 24 Aug., 13:20, "Joachim Schipper"
    > wrote:
    >
    > I'm only using svnserve because the server is only inside a VM on my
    > local devel machine, providing the code
    > to all the other VM's running with different systems. So there is no
    > security problem at all.
    >
    > I've choose openbsd because only netbsd had the same small memory
    > footprint (disk + server) for such a
    > simple server.
    >
    > So back to the connection problem where is the problem with a fresh
    > install and a command line call of
    > "svnserve -r /home/llothar/repositories -d -listen-port=4711" ?

    There should not be anything wrong with that, provided file permissions
    are correct and such. Can you connect to that port via telnet/nc? From
    localhost? From the host OS? From another VM? It should spit out some
    bracketed stuff, or at least it does if called via SSH.

    Using it via inetd is also possible, see Steve's response.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread