installing openbsd flavours from an external hd - BSD

This is a discussion on installing openbsd flavours from an external hd - BSD ; hi, maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. i have been trying to arrange for a multiboot external hardisk based on syslinux to install different openbsd flavours without success. i simply can't get the floppy images provided with ...

  1. installing openbsd flavours from an external hd

    hi,

    maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. i have been trying
    to arrange for a multiboot external hardisk based on syslinux to
    install different openbsd flavours without success.
    i simply can't get the floppy images provided with the current 4.1
    release to boot with syslinux memdisk.

    can anyone suggest me an alternative way to achieve this or point me
    where to solve this syslinux issue.
    thanks in advance

  2. Re: installing openbsd flavours from an external hd

    Marvin wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. i have been trying
    > to arrange for a multiboot external hardisk based on syslinux to
    > install different openbsd flavours without success.
    > i simply can't get the floppy images provided with the current 4.1
    > release to boot with syslinux memdisk.
    >
    > can anyone suggest me an alternative way to achieve this or point me
    > where to solve this syslinux issue.
    > thanks in advance

    Doesn't boot(8) supports booting from CD? If so, it becomes merely a
    case of having /bsd.rd.1, /bsd.rd.2, etc. (If you want to install the
    sets from CD, create /install1, /install2, or whatever you like. You
    could even rig the install script to default to the right directory.)

    I wouldn't know how to persuade syslinux to start OpenBSD's boot(8),
    though.

    Joachim

  3. Re: installing openbsd flavours from an external hd

    > I wouldn't know how to persuade syslinux to start OpenBSD's boot(8),
    > though.
    >
    > Joachim

    tx ur reply,

    basically i'm using an external usb hard disk to boot via syslinux
    different distros like slax, dsl, etc and wanted to install openbsd
    now in a spare computer.
    i can already manage to this installing the 1st part of the setup with
    a cdrom and then mounting the usb hd to complete the process and
    install the packages.

    i was just curious if there was any reason (that i wasn't able to find
    yet) which could explain why i was getting this nasty error:

    trap: 0(0): invalid opcode fault

    while using syslinux 3.51 to boot openbsd in the following way

    label openbsd
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=/4.1/i386/floppy41.img floppy

    any comments, suggestions are welcome
    brgds

  4. Re: installing openbsd flavours from an external hd

    Marvin wrote:
    >> I wouldn't know how to persuade syslinux to start OpenBSD's boot(8),
    >> though.

    > tx ur reply,
    >
    > basically i'm using an external usb hard disk to boot via syslinux
    > different distros like slax, dsl, etc and wanted to install openbsd
    > now in a spare computer.
    > i can already manage to this installing the 1st part of the setup with
    > a cdrom and then mounting the usb hd to complete the process and
    > install the packages.

    Where, if anywhere, is SysLinux involved in all this?

    > i was just curious if there was any reason (that i wasn't able to find
    > yet) which could explain why i was getting this nasty error:
    >
    > trap: 0(0): invalid opcode fault
    >
    > while using syslinux 3.51 to boot openbsd in the following way
    >
    > label openbsd
    > kernel memdisk
    > append initrd=/4.1/i386/floppy41.img floppy
    >
    > any comments, suggestions are welcome

    No idea, really. You might want to ask at the Syslinux list. Or at
    misc@openbsd.org.

    Joachim

  5. Re: installing openbsd flavours from an external hd

    On 20 ago, 16:31, "Joachim Schipper"
    wrote:
    > Marvin wrote:
    > >> I wouldn't know how to persuade syslinux to start OpenBSD's boot(8),
    > >> though.

    > > tx ur reply,

    > > basically i'm using an external usb hard disk to boot via syslinux
    > > different distros like slax, dsl, etc and wanted to install openbsd
    > > now in a spare computer.
    > > i can already manage to this installing the 1st part of the setup with
    > > a cdrom and then mounting the usb hd to complete the process and
    > > install the packages.

    > Where, if anywhere, is SysLinux involved in all this?

    syslinux is used as bootmanager

    > > i was just curious if there was any reason (that i wasn't able to find
    > > yet) which could explain why i was getting this nasty error:

    > > trap: 0(0): invalid opcode fault

    > > while using syslinux 3.51 to boot openbsd in the following way

    > > label openbsd
    > > kernel memdisk
    > > append initrd=/4.1/i386/floppy41.img floppy

    > > any comments, suggestions are welcome

    > No idea, really. You might want to ask at the Syslinux list. Or at
    > m...@openbsd.org.
    >
    > Joachim

    already posted at the syslinux list. thank you anyway

+ Reply to Thread