ksh globbing error - BSD

This is a discussion on ksh globbing error - BSD ; Create a file with name pkg-stable.html in a directory, then try the command 'ls pkg*'. I have noticed for some time that the files matching 'pkg*' will not be listed by ksh if the first character after the 'g' is ...

  1. ksh globbing error

    Create a file with name pkg-stable.html in a directory,
    then try the command 'ls pkg*'. I have noticed for some
    time that the files matching 'pkg*' will not be listed by ksh
    if the first character after the 'g' is a dash.
    If you try the command 'ls pkg-*', then the files are listed.

    --

  2. Re: ksh globbing error

    In article ,
    dave wrote:
    >Create a file with name pkg-stable.html in a directory,
    >then try the command 'ls pkg*'. I have noticed for some
    >time that the files matching 'pkg*' will not be listed by ksh
    >if the first character after the 'g' is a dash.
    >If you try the command 'ls pkg-*', then the files are listed.

    I call nonsense.

    $ echo $SH_VERSION
    @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2
    $ uname -a
    OpenBSD firewall.lr.los-gatos.ca.us 4.1 Soekris#3 i386
    $ touch pkg-stable.html
    $ ls pkg*
    pkg-stable.html
    $ ls pkg-*
    pkg-stable.html

    What version are you using? Mine is a nearly completely stock 4.1
    install on an x86, with the kernel rebuilt from the -stable branch
    about 2 weeks ago; the userspace has not (yet) been rebuilt.

    I find a disturbing trend in your "bug reports": They all sound too
    weird to be true; they nearly always turn out to be untrue, you report
    them with great lack of details, version numbers, and transcripts, and
    you always find fault in the system, before looking at the mirror.

    Anycase, please report exact version numbers and provenance of your
    system, and report a transcript. Thanks.

    --
    Ralph Becker-Szendy _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca_dot_us

  3. Re: ksh globbing error

    _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca_dot_us wrote:
    > In article ,
    > dave wrote:
    >>Create a file with name pkg-stable.html in a directory,
    >>then try the command 'ls pkg*'. I have noticed for some
    >>time that the files matching 'pkg*' will not be listed by ksh
    >>if the first character after the 'g' is a dash.
    >>If you try the command 'ls pkg-*', then the files are listed.

    > I call nonsense.
    >
    > $ echo $SH_VERSION
    > @(#)PD KSH v5.2.14 99/07/13.2
    > $ uname -a
    > OpenBSD firewall.lr.los-gatos.ca.us 4.1 Soekris#3 i386
    > $ touch pkg-stable.html
    > $ ls pkg*
    > pkg-stable.html
    > $ ls pkg-*
    > pkg-stable.html

    try 'diff pkg*' and 'diff pkg-*'. This is where I have been seeing the problem.

    > What version are you using? Mine is a nearly completely stock 4.1
    > install on an x86, with the kernel rebuilt from the -stable branch
    > about 2 weeks ago; the userspace has not (yet) been rebuilt.
    >
    > I find a disturbing trend in your "bug reports": They all sound too
    > weird to be true; they nearly always turn out to be untrue, you report
    > them with great lack of details, version numbers, and transcripts, and
    > you always find fault in the system, before looking at the mirror.

    Writing of wierd - I have discovered that, when my screen suddenly flashes
    and I lose the cursor (in KDE) that switching to the root console and back
    restores the cursor for a while.

    > Anycase, please report exact version numbers and provenance of your
    > system, and report a transcript. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Ralph Becker-Szendy _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca_dot_us

    --

  4. Re: ksh globbing error