Creating a cheap wireless "server" with openbsd. - BSD

This is a discussion on Creating a cheap wireless "server" with openbsd. - BSD ; I'd like to try to create a cheap, small, wireless "server" with OpenBSD. I'm not sure where I want to start, but I'm not opposed to soldering individual components, and I'm not opposed to hacking code (Its my profession after ...

  1. Creating a cheap wireless "server" with openbsd.

    I'd like to try to create a cheap, small, wireless "server" with
    OpenBSD. I'm not sure where I want to start, but I'm not opposed to
    soldering individual components, and I'm not opposed to hacking code
    (Its my profession after all).

    If possible, I'd like to design something that cost less than
    (hopefully) $100, and has WiFi support. I'll want enough capability
    to SSH into it, perhaps server some small files over HTTP (perhaps
    using php). It would be a bonus if I didn't have to cross-compile
    programs on a seperate computer to get them working on this box.

    So, my guess as to what I need:
    WiFi component
    Power Supply (preferably solar powered or AA powered, but can do
    wired if I absolutely have to)
    Processor (cheapest possible with enough speed for what I need)
    Memory (again, cheapest possible with enough for what I need)
    Storage (you guest it, cheap but enough. I'm thinking 1 gig flash
    drive should be enough)
    Some way to connect for installation and maintenance.

    Anyone have some starting points I can look at? The WiFi access
    doesn't have to be secured, nothing important will be transmitted
    unencrypted anyway.

    Am I high thinking I can do this in less that $100? If so, what is a
    more reasonable estimate? Price is one of my main driving factors.

    DD,

    P.S. I don't get e-mail at the address I'm posting at, please reply
    here.

  2. Re: Creating a cheap wireless "server" with openbsd.

    Droopy Dog wrote:
    > I'd like to try to create a cheap, small, wireless "server" with
    > OpenBSD. I'm not sure where I want to start, but I'm not opposed to
    > soldering individual components, and I'm not opposed to hacking code
    > (Its my profession after all).
    >
    > If possible, I'd like to design something that cost less than
    > (hopefully) $100, and has WiFi support. I'll want enough capability
    > to SSH into it, perhaps server some small files over HTTP (perhaps
    > using php). It would be a bonus if I didn't have to cross-compile
    > programs on a seperate computer to get them working on this box.
    >
    > So, my guess as to what I need:
    > WiFi component
    > Power Supply (preferably solar powered or AA powered, but can do
    > wired if I absolutely have to)
    > Processor (cheapest possible with enough speed for what I need)
    > Memory (again, cheapest possible with enough for what I need)
    > Storage (you guest it, cheap but enough. I'm thinking 1 gig flash
    > drive should be enough)
    > Some way to connect for installation and maintenance.

    Good luck with those power requirements. Wi-Fi is not cheap in terms of
    electricity, especially if you want the normal coverage. There is a
    reason Nintendo devices are 1mbps with tiny ranges.

    You can probably do battery backup, trickle-charged to keep them fresh,
    but going completely mains-free will be a design challenge. You will
    have to pick your hardware very carefully, and manage the services even
    more carefully.

    > Anyone have some starting points I can look at? The WiFi access
    > doesn't have to be secured, nothing important will be transmitted
    > unencrypted anyway.

    You should be sending data over an SSH tunnel, anyway. Wi-Fi security
    is a bad joke.

    > Am I high thinking I can do this in less that $100? If so, what is a
    > more reasonable estimate? Price is one of my main driving factors.

    If you designed these right and then contracted a third-party to
    construct hundreds of them, then you /might/ get the cost down to 100
    units of your local currency.

    Check out "Soekris" and similar offerings. Some people are finding ways
    of setting up embedded or diskless OBSD edge boxes.
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.

+ Reply to Thread