OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1 - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1 - BSD ; _____ Hello, Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to give best speed ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    _____
    Hello,

    Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min

    On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    emulation performance is as follows:
    1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds
    4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec

    OO's performance is quite acceptable on the 3.9 system with linux
    emulation. Yet, OO under OBSD 4.1 does not perform with adequate speed
    to be a useful package. Am i doing something wrong i wonder, or is this
    a documented problem?

    Earlier, i built an OpenBSD 4.0 system on the same machine and installed
    OO 2.0.2 and the linux emulation package. I found that OO freezes
    consistently when entering the file name in the "file save" entry panel
    when sending the file to a NFS mounted directory. This problem does not
    seem to occur when saving to a locally mounted directory. The only way
    to terminate the application is to do "kill -9 PID_OO". Because of the
    freezing issue, i tried the most recent OBSD 4.1 version in the hope
    that the new OO package would do the job. Sadly, it does not!

    So, i continue to use my OBSD 3.9 workstation since the performance of
    OO 2.0.2 is satisfactory.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > _____
    > Hello,
    >
    > Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    > Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    > package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    > give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    > 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min
    >
    > On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    > emulation performance is as follows:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds
    > 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec
    >
    > OO's performance is quite acceptable on the 3.9 system with linux
    > emulation. Yet, OO under OBSD 4.1 does not perform with adequate speed
    > to be a useful package. Am i doing something wrong i wonder, or is this
    > a documented problem?
    >
    > Earlier, i built an OpenBSD 4.0 system on the same machine and installed
    > OO 2.0.2 and the linux emulation package. I found that OO freezes
    > consistently when entering the file name in the "file save" entry panel
    > when sending the file to a NFS mounted directory. This problem does not
    > seem to occur when saving to a locally mounted directory. The only way
    > to terminate the application is to do "kill -9 PID_OO". Because of the
    > freezing issue, i tried the most recent OBSD 4.1 version in the hope
    > that the new OO package would do the job. Sadly, it does not!
    >
    > So, i continue to use my OBSD 3.9 workstation since the performance of
    > OO 2.0.2 is satisfactory.

    In addition to the slowness, OO 2.1 also crashes when I attempt to load
    a MS word document I received yesterday. The crash occurs regardless of
    whether macros are enabled or not. I was able to convert the .doc file
    to pdf using antiword, but not all the images were converted even using
    -i2 or -i3. I could live with the slowness of OO 2.1 if it correctly
    converted the file. But anitword is my new friend!
    --

  3. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    dave wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> _____
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    >> Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    >> package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    >> give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    >> 1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min
    >>
    >> On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    >> emulation performance is as follows:
    >> 1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds
    >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec
    >>
    >> OO's performance is quite acceptable on the 3.9 system with linux
    >> emulation. Yet, OO under OBSD 4.1 does not perform with adequate speed
    >> to be a useful package. Am i doing something wrong i wonder, or is this
    >> a documented problem?
    >>
    >> Earlier, i built an OpenBSD 4.0 system on the same machine and installed
    >> OO 2.0.2 and the linux emulation package. I found that OO freezes
    >> consistently when entering the file name in the "file save" entry panel
    >> when sending the file to a NFS mounted directory. This problem does not
    >> seem to occur when saving to a locally mounted directory. The only way
    >> to terminate the application is to do "kill -9 PID_OO". Because of the
    >> freezing issue, i tried the most recent OBSD 4.1 version in the hope
    >> that the new OO package would do the job. Sadly, it does not!
    >>
    >> So, i continue to use my OBSD 3.9 workstation since the performance of
    >> OO 2.0.2 is satisfactory.

    > In addition to the slowness, OO 2.1 also crashes when I attempt to load
    > a MS word document I received yesterday. The crash occurs regardless of
    > whether macros are enabled or not. I was able to convert the .doc file
    > to pdf using antiword, but not all the images were converted even using
    > -i2 or -i3. I could live with the slowness of OO 2.1 if it correctly
    > converted the file. But anitword is my new friend!

    _____
    So, you confirm that my problem with OO 2.1 is an issue. Plus it cannot
    handle certain Word documents! I wonder what the OBSD Development Team
    can do to fix these problems in the near future?

    Thanks for the reference to antiword. I found the antiword-0.37.tgz
    package for OBSD 3.9 and installed it. There is another package called
    catdoc-0.91.4.tgz that converts Word files. You probably already know
    about that one.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  4. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    > > jch wrote:
    > >> _____
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    > >> Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    > >> package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    > >> give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    > >> 1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    > >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    > >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min
    > >>
    > >> On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    > >> emulation performance is as follows:
    > >> 1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    > >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds
    > >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec
    > >>
    > >> OO's performance is quite acceptable on the 3.9 system with linux
    > >> emulation. Yet, OO under OBSD 4.1 does not perform with adequate speed
    > >> to be a useful package. Am i doing something wrong i wonder, or is this
    > >> a documented problem?
    > >>
    > >> Earlier, i built an OpenBSD 4.0 system on the same machine and installed
    > >> OO 2.0.2 and the linux emulation package. I found that OO freezes
    > >> consistently when entering the file name in the "file save" entry panel
    > >> when sending the file to a NFS mounted directory. This problem does not
    > >> seem to occur when saving to a locally mounted directory. The only way
    > >> to terminate the application is to do "kill -9 PID_OO". Because of the
    > >> freezing issue, i tried the most recent OBSD 4.1 version in the hope
    > >> that the new OO package would do the job. Sadly, it does not!
    > >>
    > >> So, i continue to use my OBSD 3.9 workstation since the performance of
    > >> OO 2.0.2 is satisfactory.

    > > In addition to the slowness, OO 2.1 also crashes when I attempt to load
    > > a MS word document I received yesterday. The crash occurs regardless of
    > > whether macros are enabled or not. I was able to convert the .doc file
    > > to pdf using antiword, but not all the images were converted even using
    > > -i2 or -i3. I could live with the slowness of OO 2.1 if it correctly
    > > converted the file. But anitword is my new friend!

    > _____
    > So, you confirm that my problem with OO 2.1 is an issue. Plus it cannot
    > handle certain Word documents! I wonder what the OBSD Development Team
    > can do to fix these problems in the near future?
    >
    > Thanks for the reference to antiword. I found the antiword-0.37.tgz
    > package for OBSD 3.9 and installed it. There is another package called
    > catdoc-0.91.4.tgz that converts Word files. You probably already know
    > about that one.

    We have OpenOffice 2.2.1 in OpenBSD-current, which has been working fine
    for me with various documents including MS Office..

  5. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> dave wrote:

    >>> In addition to the slowness, OO 2.1 also crashes when I attempt to load
    >>> a MS word document I received yesterday. The crash occurs regardless of
    >>> whether macros are enabled or not. I was able to convert the .doc file
    >>> to pdf using antiword, but not all the images were converted even using
    >>> -i2 or -i3. I could live with the slowness of OO 2.1 if it correctly
    >>> converted the file. But anitword is my new friend!

    >> _____
    >> So, you confirm that my problem with OO 2.1 is an issue. Plus it cannot
    >> handle certain Word documents! I wonder what the OBSD Development Team
    >> can do to fix these problems in the near future?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reference to antiword. I found the antiword-0.37.tgz
    >> package for OBSD 3.9 and installed it. There is another package called
    >> catdoc-0.91.4.tgz that converts Word files. You probably already know
    >> about that one.

    > We have OpenOffice 2.2.1 in OpenBSD-current, which has been working fine
    > for me with various documents including MS Office..

    _____
    Thanks for this info. Can you please tell us what CPU you are running
    (architecture, speed), and what OO 2.2.1 performance is like on that
    machine? I need to run it on an older 450 MHz i586 computer.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  6. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    >> jch wrote:

    > Thanks for the reference to antiword. I found the antiword-0.37.tgz
    > package for OBSD 3.9 and installed it. There is another package called
    > catdoc-0.91.4.tgz that converts Word files. You probably already know
    > about that one.

    Did not know about catdoc. Thanks for the tip.
    --

  7. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    steven mestdagh wrote:

    >> So, you confirm that my problem with OO 2.1 is an issue. Plus it cannot
    >> handle certain Word documents! I wonder what the OBSD Development Team
    >> can do to fix these problems in the near future?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reference to antiword. I found the antiword-0.37.tgz
    >> package for OBSD 3.9 and installed it. There is another package called
    >> catdoc-0.91.4.tgz that converts Word files. You probably already know
    >> about that one.

    > We have OpenOffice 2.2.1 in OpenBSD-current, which has been working fine
    > for me with various documents including MS Office.

    _____
    Please remind me how i install OBSD-Current. I have never attempted
    this. Am currently hunting through the OBSD web site for pointers.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  8. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:44:21 GMT, jch wrote:
    >Please remind me how i install OBSD-Current. I have never attempted
    >this. Am currently hunting through the OBSD web site for pointers.

    From the FAQ:

    Snapshots

    Between formal releases of OpenBSD, snapshots are made available through
    the FTP sites. As the name implies, these are builds of whatever code is
    in the tree at the instant the builder grabbed a copy of the code for
    that particular platform. Remember, on some platforms, it may be DAYS
    before the snapshot build is completed and put out for distribution.
    There is no promise that the snapshots are completely functional, or
    even install. Often, a change that needs to be tested may trigger
    snapshot creation. Some platforms have snapshots built on an almost
    daily basis, others will be much less frequent. If you desire to run
    -current, a recent snapshot is often all you need, and upgrading to a
    snapshot is a required starting point before attempting to build
    -current from source.

    --
    Maurice

  9. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > _____
    > Hello,
    >
    > Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    > Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    > package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    > give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    > 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min
    >
    > On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    > emulation performance is as follows:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds

    The difference in initial loading time *may* be fixable by enabling
    prebinding in OpenBSD. That does have its very own share of problems,
    though (notably, file checksum change, which confuses pkg_*); see
    ldconfig(8) for details.

    > 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec

    Try rerunning those from a local disk; that at least eliminates the NFS
    consideration.

    > OO's performance is quite acceptable on the 3.9 system with linux
    > emulation. Yet, OO under OBSD 4.1 does not perform with adequate speed
    > to be a useful package. Am i doing something wrong i wonder, or is this
    > a documented problem?
    >
    > Earlier, i built an OpenBSD 4.0 system on the same machine and installed
    > OO 2.0.2 and the linux emulation package. I found that OO freezes
    > consistently when entering the file name in the "file save" entry panel
    > when sending the file to a NFS mounted directory. This problem does not
    > seem to occur when saving to a locally mounted directory. The only way
    > to terminate the application is to do "kill -9 PID_OO". Because of the
    > freezing issue, i tried the most recent OBSD 4.1 version in the hope
    > that the new OO package would do the job. Sadly, it does not!

    If NFS doesn't work at all via Linux emulation, send in a bug report.
    If OpenOffice doesn't work with NFS at all, but other applications are
    fine, send in a bug report. (But do note which problem you are having.)

    Also, you are not entirely clear about whether or not you are running OO
    via Linux emulation on 4.0. If so, did you try the package? Does it run
    significantly faster or slower?

    > So, i continue to use my OBSD 3.9 workstation since the performance of
    > OO 2.0.2 is satisfactory.

    You may want to send a message to misc@. Aside from the prebinding
    issue, I don't see why Linux' OO would be significantly faster than
    OpenBSD's.

    Joachim

  10. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >> Built OpenBSD 4.1 system (on i586, 400 MHz AMD CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Matrox
    >> Matrox-Mil-200 AGP video machine) to test performance of new OpenOffice
    >> package. BIOS is configured with "Setup" options which is supposed to
    >> give best speed and stability. Here are my observations:
    >> 1) Initial loading of OO - 60+ seconds
    >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 20 seconds
    >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 2 min
    >>
    >> On the same machine running the OO 2.0.2 linux binaries under linux
    >> emulation performance is as follows:
    >> 1) Initial loading of OO - less than 20 seconds
    >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 10 seconds

    > The difference in initial loading time *may* be fixable by enabling
    > prebinding in OpenBSD. That does have its very own share of problems,
    > though (notably, file checksum change, which confuses pkg_*); see
    > ldconfig(8) for details.

    _____
    Ok, will have a look at the prebinding function to see if it improves

    >> 4) Saving of same file in .odt format to NFS share - 15 sec

    > Try rerunning those from a local disk; that at least eliminates the NFS
    > consideration.

    _____
    I already tested that. Loading a file into OO-2.1 on OBSD 4.1 is too
    slow from locally mounted or NFS mounted directories.

    > If NFS doesn't work at all via Linux emulation, send in a bug report.
    > If OpenOffice doesn't work with NFS at all, but other applications are
    > fine, send in a bug report. (But do note which problem you are having.)

    _____
    Will think about that.

    > Also, you are not entirely clear about whether or not you are running OO
    > via Linux emulation on 4.0. If so, did you try the package? Does it run
    > significantly faster or slower?

    _____
    I could not locate an OBSD OpenOffice package for release 4.0. This is
    why i tried the emulation route that caused the stalling problem with
    NFS mounted directories/files.

    --
    Regards / JCH

  11. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    Maurice Janssen wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:44:21 GMT, jch wrote:
    >> Please remind me how i install OBSD-Current. I have never attempted
    >> this. Am currently hunting through the OBSD web site for pointers.

    > From the FAQ:
    >
    > Snapshots
    >
    > Between formal releases of OpenBSD, snapshots are made available through
    > the FTP sites. As the name implies, these are builds of whatever code is
    > in the tree at the instant the builder grabbed a copy of the code for
    > that particular platform. Remember, on some platforms, it may be DAYS
    > before the snapshot build is completed and put out for distribution.
    > There is no promise that the snapshots are completely functional, or
    > even install. Often, a change that needs to be tested may trigger
    > snapshot creation. Some platforms have snapshots built on an almost
    > daily basis, others will be much less frequent. If you desire to run
    > -current, a recent snapshot is often all you need, and upgrading to a
    > snapshot is a required starting point before attempting to build
    > -current from source.

    _____
    After reading the FAQ i was able to update the base system to an August
    1 "snapshot". I do not see an easy way to update the packages i have
    installed to "-current".

    In the mean time, i quickly built a FreeBSD 6.2 test system (same CPU =
    400 MHz, RAM = 512 Mb), and installed the FreeBSD OpenOffice 2.0.4
    package. Timing results were as follows:
    1) Initial loading of OO - 30 seconds
    2) Subsequent loading of OO - 15 seconds

    CONCLUSION: The FreeBSD team got the OpenOffice package working
    properly. These timing test results are essentially the same as for the
    OpenOffice 2.0.2 Linux version running under OpenBSD 3.9 Linux emulation.

    So, i will wait until OBSD 4.2 is released in the fall. By that time
    the OBSD team will have worked out the wrinkles around the slow
    performance of OpenOffice (2.1.X at that point).
    --
    Regards / JCH

  12. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > Maurice Janssen wrote:
    >> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:44:21 GMT, jch wrote:
    >>> Please remind me how i install OBSD-Current. I have never attempted
    >>> this. Am currently hunting through the OBSD web site for pointers.

    >> From the FAQ:
    >>
    >> Snapshots
    >>
    >> Between formal releases of OpenBSD, snapshots are made available through
    >> the FTP sites. As the name implies, these are builds of whatever code is
    >> in the tree at the instant the builder grabbed a copy of the code for
    >> that particular platform. Remember, on some platforms, it may be DAYS
    >> before the snapshot build is completed and put out for distribution.
    >> There is no promise that the snapshots are completely functional, or
    >> even install. Often, a change that needs to be tested may trigger
    >> snapshot creation. Some platforms have snapshots built on an almost
    >> daily basis, others will be much less frequent. If you desire to run
    >> -current, a recent snapshot is often all you need, and upgrading to a
    >> snapshot is a required starting point before attempting to build
    >> -current from source.

    > _____
    > After reading the FAQ i was able to update the base system to an August
    > 1 "snapshot". I do not see an easy way to update the packages i have
    > installed to "-current".

    pkg_add -ui does not qualify? Just set PKG_PATH appropriately, replacing
    '3.9' or whatever with 'snapshots'.

    > In the mean time, i quickly built a FreeBSD 6.2 test system (same CPU =
    > 400 MHz, RAM = 512 Mb), and installed the FreeBSD OpenOffice 2.0.4
    > package. Timing results were as follows:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - 30 seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 15 seconds
    >
    > CONCLUSION: The FreeBSD team got the OpenOffice package working
    > properly. These timing test results are essentially the same as for the
    > OpenOffice 2.0.2 Linux version running under OpenBSD 3.9 Linux emulation.
    >
    > So, i will wait until OBSD 4.2 is released in the fall. By that time
    > the OBSD team will have worked out the wrinkles around the slow
    > performance of OpenOffice (2.1.X at that point).

    Not really, no. 4.2 has already been tagged; that means the developers
    are trying to reduce bugs, rather than introduce features, from this
    point on. Right now would be a good time to bring this to some qualified
    person's attention - but if you don't, it's not likely that 4.2's
    OpenOffice will be significantly different from -current OpenOffice.

    Oh, and you could always ask the maintainer (Robert Nagy, robert@).

    Joachim

  13. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > Maurice Janssen wrote:
    > > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:44:21 GMT, jch wrote:
    > >> Please remind me how i install OBSD-Current. I have never attempted
    > >> this. Am currently hunting through the OBSD web site for pointers.

    > > From the FAQ:
    > >
    > > Snapshots
    > >
    > > Between formal releases of OpenBSD, snapshots are made available through
    > > the FTP sites. As the name implies, these are builds of whatever code is
    > > in the tree at the instant the builder grabbed a copy of the code for
    > > that particular platform. Remember, on some platforms, it may be DAYS
    > > before the snapshot build is completed and put out for distribution.
    > > There is no promise that the snapshots are completely functional, or
    > > even install. Often, a change that needs to be tested may trigger
    > > snapshot creation. Some platforms have snapshots built on an almost
    > > daily basis, others will be much less frequent. If you desire to run
    > > -current, a recent snapshot is often all you need, and upgrading to a
    > > snapshot is a required starting point before attempting to build
    > > -current from source.

    > _____
    > After reading the FAQ i was able to update the base system to an August
    > 1 "snapshot". I do not see an easy way to update the packages i have
    > installed to "-current".

    It is not that hard, package upgrading is explained in FAQ 15, in your
    case you would use the "snapshots" directory of some mirror, instead of
    4.1 or whatever release you have been using. Maybe we should insert a
    small paragraph about this or a link in FAQ 5 if the current documentation
    is not clear enough?

    > In the mean time, i quickly built a FreeBSD 6.2 test system (same CPU =
    > 400 MHz, RAM = 512 Mb), and installed the FreeBSD OpenOffice 2.0.4
    > package. Timing results were as follows:
    > 1) Initial loading of OO - 30 seconds
    > 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 15 seconds
    >
    > CONCLUSION: The FreeBSD team got the OpenOffice package working
    > properly. These timing test results are essentially the same as for the
    > OpenOffice 2.0.2 Linux version running under OpenBSD 3.9 Linux emulation.
    >
    > So, i will wait until OBSD 4.2 is released in the fall. By that time
    > the OBSD team will have worked out the wrinkles around the slow
    > performance of OpenOffice (2.1.X at that point).

    You are wrong. The 4.2 ports are almost ready *now*. Instead of waiting,
    it's a better idea to help by testing snapshots and reporting real issues.
    So just install the openoffice package from snapshots, and try it out!

  14. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    steven mestdagh wrote:
    If you desire to run
    >>> -current, a recent snapshot is often all you need, and upgrading to a
    >>> snapshot is a required starting point before attempting to build
    >>> -current from source.

    >> _____
    >> After reading the FAQ i was able to update the base system to an August
    >> 1 "snapshot". I do not see an easy way to update the packages i have
    >> installed to "-current".

    > It is not that hard, package upgrading is explained in FAQ 15, in your
    > case you would use the "snapshots" directory of some mirror, instead of
    > 4.1 or whatever release you have been using. Maybe we should insert a
    > small paragraph about this or a link in FAQ 5 if the current documentation
    > is not clear enough?

    _____
    That clears it up along with Joachim's previous post suggesting the use
    of "pkg_add -ui" syntax. I have not yet used that approach. Something
    new to learn.

    >> CONCLUSION: The FreeBSD team got the OpenOffice package working
    >> properly. These timing test results are essentially the same as for the
    >> OpenOffice 2.0.2 Linux version running under OpenBSD 3.9 Linux emulation.
    >>
    >> So, i will wait until OBSD 4.2 is released in the fall. By that time
    >> the OBSD team will have worked out the wrinkles around the slow
    >> performance of OpenOffice (2.1.X at that point).

    > You are wrong. The 4.2 ports are almost ready *now*. Instead of waiting,
    > it's a better idea to help by testing snapshots and reporting real issues.
    > So just install the openoffice package from snapshots, and try it out!

    _____
    Thanks for the encouragement. Will try to do the pkg upgrades and test
    OO's performance again under -current. If it all works properly, i
    might consider updating my 3.9 systems (currently running 3 copies in
    production mode) to OBSD 4.2.

    By the way, i am so used to the OBSD installation process that i had
    some difficulties getting FreeBSD onto my test computer. In effect,
    although the FreeBSD installation process has some nice features, the
    OBSD installation approach is just fine. I found the package
    installation in FreeBSD quite clumsy. I prefer to pull down a package
    index list from an OBSD FTP server, grep for the package name, and
    install it the usual way.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  15. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    steven mestdagh wrote:

    >> In the mean time, i quickly built a FreeBSD 6.2 test system (same CPU =
    >> 400 MHz, RAM = 512 Mb), and installed the FreeBSD OpenOffice 2.0.4
    >> package. Timing results were as follows:
    >> 1) Initial loading of OO - 30 seconds
    >> 2) Subsequent loading of OO - 15 seconds
    >>
    >> CONCLUSION: The FreeBSD team got the OpenOffice package working
    >> properly. These timing test results are essentially the same as for the
    >> OpenOffice 2.0.2 Linux version running under OpenBSD 3.9 Linux emulation.
    >>
    >> So, i will wait until OBSD 4.2 is released in the fall. By that time
    >> the OBSD team will have worked out the wrinkles around the slow
    >> performance of OpenOffice (2.1.X at that point).

    > You are wrong. The 4.2 ports are almost ready *now*. Instead of waiting,
    > it's a better idea to help by testing snapshots and reporting real issues.
    > So just install the openoffice package from snapshots, and try it out!

    _____
    Yesterday i completed a fresh install of snapshots from a server at
    ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/.... A small problem presented
    itself when the install script asked for the .../OpenBSD/4.2/....
    directory which, of course, does not yet exist. The script give the
    option to provide the ftp IP address. After looking it up on another
    machine with nslookup, the snapshot .tgz files were located, and
    installation proceeded normally. I installed package
    openoffice-2.2.1p0.tgz and all the dependencies. Below are the timing
    results:
    1) Initial loading of OO - 45 seconds
    2) Subsequent loading of OO - 27 seconds

    CONCLUSION: The performance of OpenOffice 2.2.1 on OpenBSD 4.2 (to be
    released in the fall) is still unacceptably slow. Since i am not an
    OBSD developer, i cannot comment on the underlying reasons for the poor
    performance when compared with OO running under Linux emulation under
    OBSD 3.9, or the native OO package under FreeBSD 6.2.

    My recommendation to the OBSD Development Team would be:
    a) to pull the OO package from the pending release, or
    b) to print a message about the slow performance on the screen after
    installation completes.

    Using prebinding via ldconfig as suggested by Joachim S. may help, but
    should not really be needed. I have not tested it.

    Incidentally, the NFS file server is an OBSD 3.6 box with a 400 MHz CPU,
    and 256 Mb RAM. The 1 Mb file copies from the server to a local drive
    in less than a second.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  16. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    In article , jch wrote:
    >CONCLUSION: The performance of OpenOffice 2.2.1 on OpenBSD 4.2 (to be
    >released in the fall) is still unacceptably slow. Since i am not an
    >OBSD developer, i cannot comment on the underlying reasons for the poor
    >performance when compared with OO running under Linux emulation under
    >OBSD 3.9, or the native OO package under FreeBSD 6.2.

    You realize that you're a jerk, don't you ?

    Are you a developer at all, or just not part of the 31337 team of OpenBSD
    developers (shesh).

    And btw, I'm afraid that what you're seeing is mostly a local problem.
    I've been playing a bit with Ooo, and your timings seem to be waaaay
    off to me.

    It *might* get fixed at some point in the future if you do provide *relevant*
    information... which you so far have utterly failed to do.

  17. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    Marc Espie wrote:
    > In article , jch wrote:
    >>CONCLUSION: The performance of OpenOffice 2.2.1 on OpenBSD 4.2 (to be
    >>released in the fall) is still unacceptably slow. Since i am not an
    >>OBSD developer, i cannot comment on the underlying reasons for the poor
    >>performance when compared with OO running under Linux emulation under
    >>OBSD 3.9, or the native OO package under FreeBSD 6.2.

    > You realize that you're a jerk, don't you ?
    >

    > Are you a developer at all, or just not part of the 31337 team of OpenBSD
    > developers (shesh).
    >
    > And btw, I'm afraid that what you're seeing is mostly a local problem.
    > I've been playing a bit with Ooo, and your timings seem to be waaaay
    > off to me.
    >
    > It *might* get fixed at some point in the future if you do provide *relevant*
    > information... which you so far have utterly failed to do.

    Hi Mark!

    Your recent posts have been so polite that I was beginning to worry about you,
    but I guess you're back to normal now. Thank God!
    --

  18. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > CONCLUSION: The performance of OpenOffice 2.2.1 on OpenBSD 4.2 (to be
    > released in the fall) is still unacceptably slow. Since i am not an
    > OBSD developer, i cannot comment on the underlying reasons for the poor
    > performance when compared with OO running under Linux emulation under
    > OBSD 3.9, or the native OO package under FreeBSD 6.2.
    >
    > My recommendation to the OBSD Development Team would be:
    > a) to pull the OO package from the pending release, or
    > b) to print a message about the slow performance on the screen after
    > installation completes.
    >
    > Using prebinding via ldconfig as suggested by Joachim S. may help, but
    > should not really be needed. I have not tested it.

    I agree on that count. You may want to read the rest of the message,
    though (in particular, test the same version of OO.o under Linux
    emulation on 3.9 and 4.1 or -current).

    Marc is almost certainly correct if he says this is not a widespread
    problem, and I personally don't really care if OO.o takes 15 minutes to
    start. It takes ~ 2 hours to install, too, and I only install it when
    someone sends me a Word document that antiword cannot handle.

    In other words, if you want to get this resolved, you'll have to do some
    of the work yourself, at the very least providing a proper bug report
    (no, this newsgroup is not 'official', and everything you have posted up
    'til now pieced together is not a proper bug report). And be at least
    not actively offensive to the people who you ask to work for you.

    Joachim

  19. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    Joachim Schipper wrote:
    > jch wrote:
    >> CONCLUSION: The performance of OpenOffice 2.2.1 on OpenBSD 4.2 (to be
    >> released in the fall) is still unacceptably slow. Since i am not an
    >> OBSD developer, i cannot comment on the underlying reasons for the poor
    >> performance when compared with OO running under Linux emulation under
    >> OBSD 3.9, or the native OO package under FreeBSD 6.2.
    >>
    >> My recommendation to the OBSD Development Team would be:
    >> a) to pull the OO package from the pending release, or
    >> b) to print a message about the slow performance on the screen after
    >> installation completes.
    >>
    >> Using prebinding via ldconfig as suggested by Joachim S. may help, but
    >> should not really be needed. I have not tested it.

    > I agree on that count. You may want to read the rest of the message,
    > though (in particular, test the same version of OO.o under Linux
    > emulation on 3.9 and 4.1 or -current).

    _____
    Joachim,

    Thanks for your feedback. Test already completed. Performance of OO
    2.0.2 Linux emulation version is the same under 3.9 and -current. It
    does indeed take a while to install, but it is not onerous. Depends
    obviously on inet service provider access speed, ftp server speed, and
    local machine plus NIC speed.

    > Marc is almost certainly correct if he says this is not a widespread
    > problem.

    _____
    M.E. made no such statement.

    > In other words, if you want to get this resolved, you'll have to do
    > some of the work yourself, at the very least providing a proper bug
    > report. (no, this newsgroup is not 'official', and everything you
    > have posted up 'til now pieced together is not a proper bug report)

    _____
    I have not posted a bug report, because i have no idea if my
    measurements of OO's performance is a bug or not. That was the whole
    point of my post; (a) has this "problem" been noticed by others, (b) is
    it a bug, or (c) are there gcc compiler settings involved that might
    optimise the executables for speed, or (d) what? I don't read C-code,
    and cannot comment in that respect.

    > And be at least not actively offensive to the people who you ask to
    > work for you.

    _____
    Sorry, Joachim, but i do not follow you. I do not believe that i have
    asked anyone to work for me. I also don't see that i have been
    "actively" offensive to anyone. If i have, it was certainly not
    intentional.

    I simply reported some measurements of how long it takes for the new
    OBSD OO 2.X.X package under OBSD 4.1 and -current to load, import/load
    ..doc and .ppt files. Then i asked if anyone else had observed
    excessively long timing measurements. A Mr. Dave apparently has had the
    same experience as reported in this thread. He resorts to antiword as a
    solution. I tested FreeBSD's 6.2 new native OO package. The timing
    measurements were the same as those for the Linux emulation version
    under OBSD 3.9. Then i drew the conclusion that there must be an issue
    with the OO package under OBSD 4.1 & -current, and suggested what might
    be a reasonable course of action for the OBSD Development Team to
    pursue. Mr. deRaadt is the only one who can call the shots on who does
    what. All i can do as a user and OBSD financial supporter is seek
    information from the users at large, and to arrive at a suitable
    solution for what is a real problem with OO on my wife's older computer
    (450 MHz CPU, 512 Mb RAM). The answer was simple. I cloned my own OBSD
    3.9 workstation, including OO 2.0.2 (Linux emulation version). It runs
    just fine, and OBSD 3.9 will stay on that machine as well as my own for
    a while yet.

    To close, i want to mention that Mr. J. Schipper has always responded in
    a fair and rational manner to questions from users at large. I don't
    know if Mr. J. Schipper is a "certified member" of the OBSD Development
    Team, but if he is, he is a an example of a good ambassador for the
    OpenBSD "brand" of software.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  20. Re: OpenOffice slow under OBSD 4.1

    jch wrote:
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >> jch wrote:

    > I simply reported some measurements of how long it takes for the new
    > OBSD OO 2.X.X package under OBSD 4.1 and -current to load, import/load
    > .doc and .ppt files. Then i asked if anyone else had observed
    > excessively long timing measurements. A Mr. Dave apparently has had the
    > same experience as reported in this thread. He resorts to antiword as a
    > solution.

    I would like to point out that OO 2.1 crashes repeatably when I attempt to load
    a particular MS .doc file. That happens whether or not macros are enabled. The
    inability of OO to work with the .doc file I was trying to load make OO pretty
    much useless to me. Antiword worked pretty well, but did not convert all the
    embedded graphics. It would be real handy if there were an open source program
    that extracted embedded graphics in .doc files to individual files which could
    then be used in pdf file generation.

    BTW, I started working with texmaker yesterday and that is a FINE program. Kudos
    to the OpenBSD developers who ported that program!

    Dave Feustel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast