kernel compiling for the wrong arch. - BSD

This is a discussion on kernel compiling for the wrong arch. - BSD ; All, I'm a OBSD newbie. Right now I'm compiling a new 4.1 kernel on a new install for a firewall. I copied GENERIC to "test" in /sys/arch/i386/ conf/, stripped out everything I didn't want and deleted all the CPU references ...

  1. kernel compiling for the wrong arch.

    All,

    I'm a OBSD newbie. Right now I'm compiling a new 4.1 kernel on a new
    install for a firewall. I copied GENERIC to "test" in /sys/arch/i386/
    conf/, stripped out everything I didn't want and deleted all the CPU
    references at the top except for "I586_CPU". Yet, now that I'm
    watching compiler output go by I keep seeing references to "-
    march=i486". Shouldn't that be "-march=i586"?

    This is only a P75 so I'd like to get rid of any limiting code in the
    kernel, even though I think there is not much to be gained in the jump
    from 486 to 586. Not like getting rid of 386 anyway. What didI miss?

    thx,

  2. Re: kernel compiling for the wrong arch.

    thefronny@gmail.com wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I'm a OBSD newbie. Right now I'm compiling a new 4.1 kernel on a new
    > install for a firewall. I copied GENERIC to "test" in /sys/arch/i386/
    > conf/, stripped out everything I didn't want and deleted all the CPU
    > references at the top except for "I586_CPU". Yet, now that I'm
    > watching compiler output go by I keep seeing references to "-
    > march=i486". Shouldn't that be "-march=i586"?
    >
    > This is only a P75 so I'd like to get rid of any limiting code in the
    > kernel, even though I think there is not much to be gained in the jump
    > from 486 to 586. Not like getting rid of 386 anyway. What didI miss?

    Kernel tweaking is not supported, and doesn't really help anyway.
    Remember: GNU is Not Unix (and neither is Linux).

    Joachim

  3. Re: kernel compiling for the wrong arch.

    On Jul 29, 9:43 am, "Joachim Schipper"
    wrote:
    > thefro...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > All,

    > > I'm a OBSD newbie. Right now I'm compiling a new 4.1 kernel on a new
    > > install for a firewall. I copied GENERIC to "test" in /sys/arch/i386/
    > > conf/, stripped out everything I didn't want and deleted all the CPU
    > > references at the top except for "I586_CPU". Yet, now that I'm
    > > watching compiler output go by I keep seeing references to "-
    > > march=i486". Shouldn't that be "-march=i586"?

    > > This is only a P75 so I'd like to get rid of any limiting code in the
    > > kernel, even though I think there is not much to be gained in the jump
    > > from 486 to 586. Not like getting rid of 386 anyway. What didI miss?

    > Kernel tweaking is not supported, and doesn't really help anyway.
    > Remember: GNU is Not Unix (and neither is Linux).
    >
    > Joachim

    Thanks for the quick write-back. I haven't used Linux in years (I'm a
    FreeBSD-er), but didn't want to make assumptions about OpenBSD's
    behavior.

    thx,

  4. Re: kernel compiling for the wrong arch.

    Specifically, tweaking gcc flags will lead to trouble... we've had the issue
    in the past. gcc is mostly not THAT stable, and changing the flags used to
    compile the kernel WILL break things!

+ Reply to Thread