resolver query when referencing subnets - BSD

This is a discussion on resolver query when referencing subnets - BSD ; Brain cramp! OpenBSD 4.1, i386 Sorta off-topic, since this is TCP/IP and not strictly OBSD. I just switched my DHCP/DDNS/BIND system over to have dhcpd update a dynamic zone so it doesn't clutter up my primary zone. In order to ...

  1. resolver query when referencing subnets

    Brain cramp!

    OpenBSD 4.1, i386

    Sorta off-topic, since this is TCP/IP and not strictly OBSD.

    I just switched my DHCP/DDNS/BIND system over to have dhcpd update a
    dynamic zone so it doesn't clutter up my primary zone. In order to do
    this I created a subnet for dynamic addresses and corresponding zones in
    dhcpd.conf and named.conf.

    This is working well (once I figured out how to get reverse lookups to
    work) but I noticed that I needed to provide a portion of the domain on
    dynamic hostnames to get the resolver to work.

    e.g., I now have domains clevermonkey.org and dyn.clevermonkey.org.
    Utils like host and ping require me to provide foo.dyn before they
    recognize the hostname enough to do a lookup.

    A light went on when I realized that this is a resolver issue, so I
    replaced the domain line in my resolv.conf with

    search clevermonkey.org dyn.clevermonkey.org

    This seems to work. Is this the correct way to handle this?
    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.

  2. Re: resolver query when referencing subnets

    Clever Monkey wrote:
    > Brain cramp!
    >
    > OpenBSD 4.1, i386
    >
    > Sorta off-topic, since this is TCP/IP and not strictly OBSD.
    >
    > I just switched my DHCP/DDNS/BIND system over to have dhcpd update a
    > dynamic zone so it doesn't clutter up my primary zone. In order to do
    > this I created a subnet for dynamic addresses and corresponding zones in
    > dhcpd.conf and named.conf.
    >
    > This is working well (once I figured out how to get reverse lookups to
    > work) but I noticed that I needed to provide a portion of the domain on
    > dynamic hostnames to get the resolver to work.
    >
    > e.g., I now have domains clevermonkey.org and dyn.clevermonkey.org.
    > Utils like host and ping require me to provide foo.dyn before they
    > recognize the hostname enough to do a lookup.
    >
    > A light went on when I realized that this is a resolver issue, so I
    > replaced the domain line in my resolv.conf with
    >
    > search clevermonkey.org dyn.clevermonkey.org
    >
    > This seems to work. Is this the correct way to handle this?

    To the extent that the way you set up DNS is sensible - which it appears
    to be, but I've never researched that particular setup - yes.

    Joachim

+ Reply to Thread