Dansguardian and beyond - BSD

This is a discussion on Dansguardian and beyond - BSD ; I am about to try and set up Dansguardian on 4.1 OBSD (I going to test it out a bit first in VMware). The INSTALL file suggest on using gmake for Solaris and FBSD and "maybe" OBSD builds. I am ...

  1. Dansguardian and beyond

    I am about to try and set up Dansguardian on 4.1 OBSD (I going to test
    it out a bit first in VMware). The INSTALL file suggest on using gmake
    for Solaris and FBSD and "maybe" OBSD builds. I am wondering if there is
    anybody who might have a few pointers they could share on this or
    anything with this application in general. I have set it up in Linux and
    am very impressed with it, now I just want to get it setup on my OBSD box.

    Additionally, I am looking to control chat on my home network as well. I
    want to protect the kids basically. Could anybody suggest or point me to
    the right application or method.

    I think my setup will look something like a Nat/PF GW with tiny proxy
    feeding Dansguardian so far. If am not absolute on that setup and would
    welcome any insight.

    Thx

  2. Re: Dansguardian and beyond

    Muffin wrote:
    > I am about to try and set up Dansguardian on 4.1 OBSD (I going to test
    > it out a bit first in VMware). The INSTALL file suggest on using gmake
    > for Solaris and FBSD and "maybe" OBSD builds. I am wondering if there is
    > anybody who might have a few pointers they could share on this or
    > anything with this application in general. I have set it up in Linux and
    > am very impressed with it, now I just want to get it setup on my OBSD box.

    Try /usr/ports/www/dansguardian.

    > Additionally, I am looking to control chat on my home network as well. I
    > want to protect the kids basically. Could anybody suggest or point me to
    > the right application or method.

    I honestly have no idea. non-technical problems using technical means'>.

    > I think my setup will look something like a Nat/PF GW with tiny proxy
    > feeding Dansguardian so far. If am not absolute on that setup and would
    > welcome any insight.

    Be sure not to allow unproxied HTTP traffic out. I don't know about tiny
    proxy, but the rest sounds good. Consider your kids old enough to
    disable the filter as soon as they can bypass it, or you're in for a
    world of trouble.

    Joachim

  3. Re: Dansguardian and beyond

    > Try /usr/ports/www/dansguardian.

    I am using obsd 4.1 and it does not seem to be there in my ports tree.
    Do I need to update my ports tree?

    In any case I build it from hand and it built but I receive a warning
    during the build. I used make (not gMake) and thier recommendation for
    ../configure.

    I go it to start after getting tingproxy started. I have not pushed any
    traffic through it yet nor am I too sure what else I may need to do to
    get it going correctly. I wonder if I need a httpd to serve a denial
    page for dansguardian?

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread