Open Source Enhancement - BSD

This is a discussion on Open Source Enhancement - BSD ; Hi all, Open Source philosophy promises to permit the expansion of our computing capacity by permitting an incremental individual effort. I wish to enhance this process by reducing the amount of effort and learning required for an individual to provide ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Open Source Enhancement

    Hi all,

    Open Source philosophy promises to permit the expansion of our computing
    capacity by permitting an incremental individual effort. I wish to enhance
    this process by reducing the amount of effort and learning required for an
    individual to provide such an increment.

    To do this I have the plan to develop a new way of programming that I intend
    to build into a new Operating Environment. I'll start with the programming
    method. This new way of programming will be based on a new way of organising
    information involving a set of protocols that can be used to contribute and
    advance individual ideas. With this the organising method will promote the
    Open Source Philosophy in more areas than just in computing and programming.

    Thing is that in order to bring all this to the world I understand that it
    will require a considerable effort on my part and I also will need the
    assistance of some dedicated programmers. To be able to provide this effort
    I will need to be supported in a financial capacity.

    I see two options here. One is that I could create a business around the
    idea. The other is that I could find a supportive Open Source development
    community whose philosophy would permit my developing this project into a
    stand alone organisation of which I could be an employee. I would like your
    thoughts on this and your suggestions for developing this project within an
    existing open source community.

    Going capitalistic:
    To bring to you the new programming method I have developed a business plan.
    If you think that you might be able to act as an Investor, Business Angel or
    Business Partner then please contact me and allow me to get to know you
    better so that I may feel comfortable releasing to you some of my
    Intellectual Property. Otherwise I would be happy to speak to any Open
    Source community representatives about the development of this project.

    --
    ______________________________
    Reply to the group.

    mr_point_n_click@hotmail.com

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  2. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    In article ,
    Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >Open Source philosophy promises to permit the expansion of our computing
    >capacity by permitting an incremental individual effort. I wish to enhance
    >this process by reducing the amount of effort and learning required for an
    >individual to provide such an increment.

    Makes you wonder... is that a random text generator, or an actual individual.

    In either case, nice troll.

  3. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Marc Espie wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Open Source philosophy promises to permit the expansion of our computing
    >>capacity by permitting an incremental individual effort. I wish to enhance
    >>this process by reducing the amount of effort and learning required for an
    >>individual to provide such an increment.

    > Makes you wonder... is that a random text generator, or an actual
    > individual.
    >
    > In either case, nice troll.

    I see no real reason to presume this is a troll; an individual has been
    posting under this name for a long time - with posts that give off much
    the same vibe as this one.

    Joachim

  4. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    In article <469a7d19$0$79678$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >Marc Espie wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>Open Source philosophy promises to permit the expansion of our computing
    >>>capacity by permitting an incremental individual effort. I wish to enhance
    >>>this process by reducing the amount of effort and learning required for an
    >>>individual to provide such an increment.

    >> Makes you wonder... is that a random text generator, or an actual
    >> individual.
    >>
    >> In either case, nice troll.

    >I see no real reason to presume this is a troll; an individual has been
    >posting under this name for a long time - with posts that give off much
    >the same vibe as this one.

    Sure that's a guy ? might be a bot from MIT or a similar students prank.

  5. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:32:35 +0000, Marc Espie wrote:

    > In article <469a7d19$0$79678$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >>Marc Espie wrote:

    >>> Makes you wonder... is that a random text generator, or an actual
    >>> individual.
    >>>
    >>> In either case, nice troll.

    >>I see no real reason to presume this is a troll; an individual has been
    >>posting under this name for a long time - with posts that give off much
    >>the same vibe as this one.

    > Sure that's a guy ? might be a bot from MIT or a similar students prank.

    Doubtful it's from MIT. The syntax is strictly new-biz marketing crap and
    was posted from a bigpond.au address. I don't think that MIT teaches
    people how to use such meaningless speech.

    Besides, if the OP had even a clue about open source he would not be
    using:

    I think it's just a scam.

  6. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Marc Espie wrote:
    > In article <469a7d19$0$79678$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    >>Marc Espie wrote:

    >>> Makes you wonder... is that a random text generator, or an actual
    >>> individual.
    >>>
    >>> In either case, nice troll.

    >>I see no real reason to presume this is a troll; an individual has been
    >>posting under this name for a long time - with posts that give off much
    >>the same vibe as this one.

    > Sure that's a guy ? might be a bot from MIT or a similar students prank.

    No bot is quite this coherent. And he has posted in a wide variety of
    newsgroups, on a wide variety of topics, with the same mix of
    enthousiasm, self-confidence, and disregard for established structures.

    Plus, his original message - granted, maybe apart from the part quoted
    above - was coherent, contacted a group he wished to contact, and
    revolved around a central idea. It might not have a very large chance of
    attracting interested people from this newsgroup, but that is a result
    of insufficient research and/or the notion that casting a wide net might
    work, not of bot-ness.

    Of course, all this should not be mistaken for encouragement; this is a
    group dedicated to the OpenBSD system, not some to-be-written operating
    system that might or might not be a desirable alternative.

    Joachim

  7. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    I can assure you I am quite real and very serious about this idea.

    Here is what you need to know. I have a vision. I have the capacity to lead
    the development of a great many tools that can bring you a lot of power but
    I have not trained to be a computer engineer. I am a CNC programmer. A
    machinist. I love technology and technological ideas. I am an inventor and I
    have been inspired by the Open Source Philosophy and it's application to
    many areas of life for a long time. I have played around with Linux but even
    with all of the strides that have been made I still find it just easier to
    use Windows. I would love to operate in a computing environment that would
    allow me the capacity to add extensions to my computing tools without
    necessarily working with code. I would love to be able to analyse and
    understand programs written in languages that are not familiar to me. I
    would love to be able to open up programs that were previously closed and
    bring their technology to me.

    Now a lot of you already know how to do this. You have likely trained for a
    long time to be able to do this. But I am looking to build this new way of
    programming for people like myself. People who would like to make a
    difference but who presently just feel a bit dyslexic when faced with source
    code written in anything up to 6 languages. With compilers located who knows
    where? Interfaces that are just not seamless and tooling suites written on
    the fly that appear to use some other script that's not quite a language,
    not quite a macro. Who knows... There is a lot of good out there and
    probably some of you have written some but there is a lot of crap to waid
    through.

    I can just make it easier. That's all I know!
    --
    ______________________________
    Reply to the group.

    newsan.2007.07.15.21.31.33.230079@yahoo.com...

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  8. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Joachim Schipper wrote:

    > No bot is quite this coherent. And he has posted in a wide variety of
    > newsgroups, on a wide variety of topics, with the same mix of
    > enthousiasm, self-confidence, and disregard for established structures.
    >
    > Plus, his original message - granted, maybe apart from the part quoted
    > above - was coherent, contacted a group he wished to contact, and
    > revolved around a central idea. It might not have a very large chance of
    > attracting interested people from this newsgroup, but that is a result
    > of insufficient research and/or the notion that casting a wide net might
    > work, not of bot-ness.
    >
    > Of course, all this should not be mistaken for encouragement; this is a
    > group dedicated to the OpenBSD system, not some to-be-written operating
    > system that might or might not be a desirable alternative.
    >
    > Joachim

    I need to get a foothold somewhere.
    Happy to go along with something but it is hard to find where my end goal
    might be supported.
    Wouldn't it just be cool if you had what I describe? All it would take is a
    few individuals with the skills and resources who would be willing to say
    yes

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  9. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:11:11 +0000, Cameron Gibbs wrote:

    > I can assure you I am quite real and very serious about this idea.
    >
    > Here is what you need to know. I have a vision. I have the capacity to lead
    > the development of a great many tools that can bring you a lot of power but
    > I have not trained to be a computer engineer.

    That is rather obvious.

    You seem to be confused about the foundations of open source software.
    The entire source code base for OpenBSD is freely available to you and all
    the rest of the planet. There is no secret "Intellectual Property" such
    as you promise to reveal to investors.

    > I am a CNC programmer. A
    > machinist. I love technology and technological ideas. I am an inventor and I
    > have been inspired by the Open Source Philosophy and it's application to
    > many areas of life for a long time. I have played around with Linux but even
    > with all of the strides that have been made I still find it just easier to
    > use Windows. I would love to operate in a computing environment that would
    > allow me the capacity to add extensions to my computing tools without
    > necessarily working with code. I would love to be able to analyse and
    > understand programs written in languages that are not familiar to me. I
    > would love to be able to open up programs that were previously closed and
    > bring their technology to me.

    The use of Windows is absolutely antithetical to your expressed desires;
    source code for that crapware is not legally available. If you really
    want to examine source code the obvious solution is to learn the languages
    in which that code is written.

    While OpenBSD is written mostly in the C programming language you are free
    to add whatever functionality you wish using C or any other language.

    > Now a lot of you already know how to do this. You have likely trained for a
    > long time to be able to do this. But I am looking to build this new way of
    > programming for people like myself. People who would like to make a
    > difference but who presently just feel a bit dyslexic when faced with source
    > code written in anything up to 6 languages. With compilers located who knows
    > where? Interfaces that are just not seamless and tooling suites written on
    > the fly that appear to use some other script that's not quite a language,
    > not quite a macro. Who knows... There is a lot of good out there and
    > probably some of you have written some but there is a lot of crap to waid
    > through.

    OpenBSD is mostly written in C. Where is it?

    [duhring@mail ~]$ whereis cc
    /usr/bin/cc

    Some utilities are written in Perl and you can customize additional
    functionality with shell scripts using the Bourne, Korn or C shells or
    with Perl, Tcl/Tk, PHP and other scripting languages. There is no Visual
    BASIC.

    Unlike your Windows, the entire API (Application Programming Interface) is
    completely public and well documented.

    > I can just make it easier. That's all I know!

    You will find life easier if you quit soliciting investors in the US
    without following the strict rules of the SEC (Securities Exchange
    Commission).

  10. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    > Joachim Schipper wrote:
    > >
    > > No bot is quite this coherent. And he has posted in a wide variety of
    > > newsgroups, on a wide variety of topics, with the same mix of
    > > enthousiasm, self-confidence, and disregard for established structures.
    > >
    > > Plus, his original message - granted, maybe apart from the part quoted
    > > above - was coherent, contacted a group he wished to contact, and
    > > revolved around a central idea. It might not have a very large chance of
    > > attracting interested people from this newsgroup, but that is a result
    > > of insufficient research and/or the notion that casting a wide net might
    > > work, not of bot-ness.
    > >
    > > Of course, all this should not be mistaken for encouragement; this is a
    > > group dedicated to the OpenBSD system, not some to-be-written operating
    > > system that might or might not be a desirable alternative.
    > >
    > > Joachim

    > I need to get a foothold somewhere.
    > Happy to go along with something but it is hard to find where my end goal
    > might be supported.
    > Wouldn't it just be cool if you had what I describe? All it would take is a
    > few individuals with the skills and resources who would be willing to say
    > yes

    What I see here is a slightly different philosophy, however, between
    the development environment that you describe and the majority of
    development that's done in most of the Unix and Linux world. I know
    that my own opinion, and based on some experience, is that I don't
    personally agree with these sorts of tools.

    I agree that everyone can make a contribution, but I feel that the
    limitations of the past in that arena are a result of businesses
    preventing free exchange of information between the appropriate
    parties. Artists can improve the look of a project, but most
    companies categorize people so that they end up fighting with one
    another. Things are a bit better in the open source world where
    anyone can make a change but, alas, it's almost the exact opposite
    problem where the coders rarely have time to mess with others' "wacky"
    ideas and instead suggest that they learn to code it themselves. They
    rarely do.

    It sounds to me like the tool your describing already exists in the
    form of Visual Basic, .net, java, etc., where one cares not for what's
    happening but just drags stuff around and drops it somewhere to make
    new windows and buttons. I'm not sure it even qualifies as high-level
    programming anymore, and it's not plain interface design nor
    usability, but perhaps it's called graphical user interface design or
    some such thing. Perhaps high-level programming markup language?

    My experience is that these tools waste time (for me), time that I
    don't have, and I nary have time to work on building them. Not only
    that, but there are certain levels of bloat that I consider to be
    counter to the common good, and I think it's part of my job as an
    open source advocate to observe that half the problem is creating
    crappy software that requires new hardware that then requires more
    time to integrate, create drivers for, etc., just so people can write
    more crappy software and repeat the cycle. If we'd spend less time
    writing drivers for hardware from companies that release no hardware
    information because of proprietary and business-oriented connections,
    I'd think we'd have a lot more time to do productive development to
    improve many of the things about which people complain.

    --
    Brian Blackmore
    blb8 at po dot cwru dot edu

  11. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Brian Blackmore wrote in message
    > Cameron Gibbs wrote:

    > > I need to get a foothold somewhere.
    > > Happy to go along with something but it is hard to find where my end

    goal
    > > might be supported.
    > > Wouldn't it just be cool if you had what I describe? All it would take

    is a
    > > few individuals with the skills and resources who would be willing to

    say
    > > yes

    > What I see here is a slightly different philosophy, however, between
    > the development environment that you describe and the majority of
    > development that's done in most of the Unix and Linux world. I know
    > that my own opinion, and based on some experience, is that I don't
    > personally agree with these sorts of tools.
    >
    > I agree that everyone can make a contribution, but I feel that the
    > limitations of the past in that arena are a result of businesses
    > preventing free exchange of information between the appropriate
    > parties. Artists can improve the look of a project, but most
    > companies categorize people so that they end up fighting with one
    > another. Things are a bit better in the open source world where
    > anyone can make a change but, alas, it's almost the exact opposite
    > problem where the coders rarely have time to mess with others' "wacky"
    > ideas and instead suggest that they learn to code it themselves. They
    > rarely do.
    >
    > It sounds to me like the tool your describing already exists in the
    > form of Visual Basic, .net, java, etc., where one cares not for what's
    > happening but just drags stuff around and drops it somewhere to make
    > new windows and buttons. I'm not sure it even qualifies as high-level
    > programming anymore, and it's not plain interface design nor
    > usability, but perhaps it's called graphical user interface design or
    > some such thing. Perhaps high-level programming markup language?
    >
    > My experience is that these tools waste time (for me), time that I
    > don't have, and I nary have time to work on building them. Not only
    > that, but there are certain levels of bloat that I consider to be
    > counter to the common good, and I think it's part of my job as an
    > open source advocate to observe that half the problem is creating
    > crappy software that requires new hardware that then requires more
    > time to integrate, create drivers for, etc., just so people can write
    > more crappy software and repeat the cycle. If we'd spend less time
    > writing drivers for hardware from companies that release no hardware
    > information because of proprietary and business-oriented connections,
    > I'd think we'd have a lot more time to do productive development to
    > improve many of the things about which people complain.

    I like this guy
    You put our plite very succinctly.
    I'd like to suggest to you though that although there is a lot of time
    wasted on developing new drivers for things, I have had an idea for a
    program that can rip the register and hardware protocols directly from their
    driver machine code but in order to achieve this almost magical feet I'd
    need the programming and data-basing methods I speak of.

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  12. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Brian Blackmore wrote in message

    > It sounds to me like the tool your describing already exists in the
    > form of Visual Basic, .net, java, etc., where one cares not for what's
    > happening but just drags stuff around and drops it somewhere to make
    > new windows and buttons. I'm not sure it even qualifies as high-level
    > programming anymore, and it's not plain interface design nor
    > usability, but perhaps it's called graphical user interface design or
    > some such thing. Perhaps high-level programming markup language?

    Oh and I'd never bother to create something so limited in it's scope as just
    another window layout program
    I think we have enough of those!

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  13. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Okay, not a bot, just your garden variety 'crackpot', including some deluded
    philosophy about open source.

    Mr Gibbs: if you had anything valuable, and if you really understood
    OpenSource, you would just give your ideas in concrete terms, or start
    working on them for real. Not try to engage people into useless discussions.

    Especially around this community. We're makers. We don't give a rat's asses
    about fancy ideas. Proofs of concepts, and actual realization, is the stuff
    we work with...

  14. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote in message
    > newsan.2007.07.16.12.49.30.679476@yahoo.com...
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:11:11 +0000, Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can assure you I am quite real and very serious about this idea.
    >>>
    >>> Here is what you need to know. I have a vision. I have the capacity to

    > lead
    >>> the development of a great many tools that can bring you a lot of power

    > but
    >>> I have not trained to be a computer engineer.

    >> That is rather obvious.

    > Don't be so dismissive and judgemental. Ideas can come from anyone. That's
    > one of the main benefits and kind of the whole point of Open Source? In fact
    > Open Source would probably be a bit more open if the people who claim to be
    > proponents of it were themselves a bit more open
    >
    > So I tell you what. Let's just get off you trying to profile and pigeon hole
    > me and I'll extend you the same courtesy then we can just talk ideas

    While this reply may have been a bit harsh, I think those of us who code
    for a living get tired of the "next big thing that is sure to
    revolutionize the world" plans that technically minded folks often come
    up with.

    There are some papers on "Open Source" written from a more philosophical
    and anthropological POV that you might want to investigate. There /is/
    work being done on expanding the notion of Open Source into other
    fields, but one sure way of alienating open source developers is posting
    Yet Another Manifesto on Open Source and How Important It Is.

    So, the response you are getting to such a post is, in my experience,
    typical.

    This is actually not the best forum for such a discussion anyway.

  15. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:08:21 -0400, Clever Monkey wrote:

    > There are some papers on "Open Source" written from a more philosophical
    > and anthropological POV that you might want to investigate. There /is/
    > work being done on expanding the notion of Open Source into other
    > fields, but one sure way of alienating open source developers is posting
    > Yet Another Manifesto on Open Source and How Important It Is.

    Specially when the person has secret preciouss Intellectual Property
    releasable only to investors.

    > So, the response you are getting to such a post is, in my experience,
    > typical.

    A scam by any other name is still a scam. (My apologies to Ms. Browning)

  16. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Clever Monkey wrote in message
    news:9I6ni.18230$13.5710@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uun et.ca...

    > While this reply may have been a bit harsh, I think those of us who code
    > for a living get tired of the "next big thing that is sure to
    > revolutionize the world" plans that technically minded folks often come
    > up with.

    I can see this point you make and I can empathise.
    Keep in mind though. Every idea that has actually revolutionised the world,
    likely started very similar. The support it got, made the difference.

    > This is actually not the best forum for such a discussion anyway.

    That has become clear.
    I thank you all for what I have learned

    ----
    It has removed 1517 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!

  17. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    Cameron Gibbs wrote:

    > Clever Monkey wrote in message
    > news:9I6ni.18230$13.5710@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uun et.ca...

    > > While this reply may have been a bit harsh, I think those of us who code
    > > for a living get tired of the "next big thing that is sure to
    > > revolutionize the world" plans that technically minded folks often come
    > > up with.

    > I can see this point you make and I can empathise.
    > Keep in mind though. Every idea that has actually revolutionised the world,
    > likely started very similar. The support it got, made the difference.

    That's not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of progress
    as products of hard work and persistence paying off. Do people have
    flashes of insight? Sure. Do people sometimes get lucky? Sure.
    Does every major change come about in an instant flash of `new ideas'?
    Na. Some things, unfortunately, take their long damn time to even be
    accepted as ideas by the parties that are appropriate to facilitate
    their inception.

    In fact, I would argue that the modern world has destroyed more good
    ideas because it creates a larger divide between those that can create
    and those that can't, meaning that most ideas are filtered for
    profit-content before any merit analysis is every considered. Profit
    is not necessarily the best metric for success.

    --
    Brian Blackmore
    blb8 at po dot cwru dot edu

  18. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    In article ,
    Brian Blackmore wrote:
    >Cameron Gibbs wrote:
    >
    >> Clever Monkey wrote in message
    >> news:9I6ni.18230$13.5710@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uun et.ca...

    >> > While this reply may have been a bit harsh, I think those of us who code
    >> > for a living get tired of the "next big thing that is sure to
    >> > revolutionize the world" plans that technically minded folks often come
    >> > up with.

    >> I can see this point you make and I can empathise.
    >> Keep in mind though. Every idea that has actually revolutionised the world,
    >> likely started very similar. The support it got, made the difference.

    >That's not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of progress
    >as products of hard work and persistence paying off. Do people have
    >flashes of insight? Sure. Do people sometimes get lucky? Sure.
    >Does every major change come about in an instant flash of `new ideas'?
    >Na. Some things, unfortunately, take their long damn time to even be
    >accepted as ideas by the parties that are appropriate to facilitate
    >their inception.

    Progress through `flash of insight' and `luck' is a complete myth.

    All the great ideas I can think of have come through plain hard work.

    If you want to invent something, you've got to create lot of ideas, reject
    most of them as impractical, and keep trying until you get the right ones.

  19. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:22:25 +0000, Marc Espie wrote:

    > Progress through `flash of insight' and `luck' is a complete myth.
    >
    > All the great ideas I can think of have come through plain hard work.
    >
    > If you want to invent something, you've got to create lot of ideas, reject
    > most of them as impractical, and keep trying until you get the right ones.

    IMO that's how plodders work. The truly gifted do conceive of innovation
    through insight and sometimes it is truly luck i.e, pennicilin. Read up a
    bit on problem-solving and the subconscious.

  20. Re: Open Source Enhancement

    In article , mr.b wrote:
    >On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:22:25 +0000, Marc Espie wrote:
    >

    >> Progress through `flash of insight' and `luck' is a complete myth.
    >>
    >> All the great ideas I can think of have come through plain hard work.
    >>
    >> If you want to invent something, you've got to create lot of ideas, reject
    >> most of them as impractical, and keep trying until you get the right ones.

    >IMO that's how plodders work. The truly gifted do conceive of innovation
    >through insight and sometimes it is truly luck i.e, pennicilin. Read up a
    >bit on problem-solving and the subconscious.

    The "truly gifted" are the ones who have done enough plodding to recognize
    and take advantage of a flash of insight or stroke of luck.

    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies dj3vande@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
    And hey, I can always hope kids (and adults!) who get into her books will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast