VIA C7 server - BSD

This is a discussion on VIA C7 server - BSD ; Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually, but I'd like to buy the server pre-made... Any help is appreciated......

  1. VIA C7 server

    Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually, but I'd like to buy
    the server pre-made...

    Any help is appreciated...

  2. Re: VIA C7 server

    Bryan wrote:
    > Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    > C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually, but I'd like to buy
    > the server pre-made...
    >
    > Any help is appreciated...

    Aren't some (not ALL) of the new VIA Micro-ITX/Mini-ITX/Nano-ITX (I know
    I'm missing one) run the C7 CPU builtin?

    Not a bad price for what they're doing.. not the best multimedia
    machines, but for some basic router, you'd do pretty well, I would
    think. Some/All of the boards include a PCI expansion slot, so adding a
    4-port gigabit nic would really work well, except saturating the PCI
    bus.

    Good Luck finding them, post links if you find any.

  3. Re: VIA C7 server

    Bryan wrote:

    > Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    > C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually,

    You can buy what individially? C7 CPUs? I don't think so.

    > but I'd like to buy the server pre-made...

    Good luck. The only C7-based systems readily available on the
    market are low-end laptops and mini-ITX boards aimed at the HTPC
    segment.

    Notably, there is a profound absence of C7 systems that could occupy
    a similar niche to the Soekris boxes. Liantec's EMB-5740 would fit
    the bill, but since the announcement half a year ago no actual
    product has been forthcoming.

    It is maddening.

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  4. Re: VIA C7 server

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 04:32:09 -0000, Bryan wrote:

    :>Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    :>C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually, but I'd like to buy
    :>the server pre-made...
    :>
    :>Any help is appreciated...

    Some suppliers in the UK:

    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/
    http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Default.aspx
    http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/

    I'm just putting one together using a Jetway J7F4 motherboard I got
    from the mini-itx site. They all do pre assembled systems I think.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  5. Re: VIA C7 server

    Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    > Bryan wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    > > C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually,

    > You can buy what individially? C7 CPUs? I don't think so.
    >
    > > but I'd like to buy the server pre-made...

    > Good luck. The only C7-based systems readily available on the
    > market are low-end laptops and mini-ITX boards aimed at the HTPC
    > segment.

    If it's a small box, then I am okay with that. I'm just looking to
    build another test box to learn firewalls, DHCP, DNS.

    > Notably, there is a profound absence of C7 systems that could occupy
    > a similar niche to the Soekris boxes. Liantec's EMB-5740 would fit
    > the bill, but since the announcement half a year ago no actual
    > product has been forthcoming.
    >
    > It is maddening.

    I just wanted to check out my options, since Theo's "Intel is buggy as
    ****" announcement, and his statement that AMD isn't being as
    cooperative earlier. Someone mentioned VIA's processor and I wanted
    to see what is the deal.

    > --
    > Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  6. Re: VIA C7 server

    Rodney Pont wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 04:32:09 -0000, Bryan wrote:
    >
    > :>Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    > :>C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually, but I'd like to buy
    > :>the server pre-made...
    > :>
    > :>Any help is appreciated...
    >
    > Some suppliers in the UK:
    >
    > http://www.mini-itx.com/store/
    > http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Default.aspx
    > http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/
    >
    > I'm just putting one together using a Jetway J7F4 motherboard I got
    > from the mini-itx site. They all do pre assembled systems I think.

    Thanks for the help Rodney... I will check these out...

  7. Re: VIA C7 server

    Bryan wrote:

    > I just wanted to check out my options, since Theo's "Intel is buggy as
    > ****" announcement, and his statement that AMD isn't being as
    > cooperative earlier. Someone mentioned VIA's processor and I wanted
    > to see what is the deal.

    Erm, you do realize that VIA doesn't play in the same league as the
    big boys and is precariously positioned in the x86 embedded market?
    That means _slow_ processors that hopefully use so much less power
    that people are happy with the resultant compromise.

    The singular attraction of the C7 is its AES/SHA engine that is
    integrated into the CPU core and provides extreme crypto performance,
    especially per watt.

    The C7 would be exceedingly well-positioned for building IPsec
    gateways around it, if only somebody made suitable systems (such
    as the vaporware EMB-5740). Apart from that narrow niche, not so
    interesting.

    (Its more widely available C3 predecessor has an AES engine, but
    no SHA, which makes it rather less attractive.)

    --
    Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

  8. Re: VIA C7 server

    On 08/07/2007 16:23, Bryan wrote:
    > Christian Weisgerber wrote:
    >> Bryan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone have an idea of where you could get a server with the VIA
    >>> C7 chips? I know you can buy them individually,

    >> You can buy what individially? C7 CPUs? I don't think so.
    >>
    >>> but I'd like to buy the server pre-made...

    >> Good luck. The only C7-based systems readily available on the
    >> market are low-end laptops and mini-ITX boards aimed at the HTPC
    >> segment.
    >>

    > If it's a small box, then I am okay with that. I'm just looking to
    > build another test box to learn firewalls, DHCP, DNS.

    I am happily running 4.1 on a CN15000 (C7 processor) based system I
    built. You can get partial build server/firewall boxes from
    www.linitx.com - look for LEX embedded systems. My "server" is just a
    M10000 board (C3 processor) which I built for the same reason and works
    like a charm for my home network.

    >> Notably, there is a profound absence of C7 systems that could occupy
    >> a similar niche to the Soekris boxes. Liantec's EMB-5740 would fit
    >> the bill, but since the announcement half a year ago no actual
    >> product has been forthcoming.
    >>
    >> It is maddening.

    > I just wanted to check out my options, since Theo's "Intel is buggy as
    > ****" announcement, and his statement that AMD isn't being as
    > cooperative earlier. Someone mentioned VIA's processor and I wanted
    > to see what is the deal.
    >
    >> --
    >> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

    Mike
    --
    Anxiety: Nature's way of getting you up mornings.

  9. Re: VIA C7 server

    **update**

    Slashdot is reporting of a sub-300 dollar Everex workstation with the
    Via C7 chipset in them... It has vista basic, and OO.org. No
    crapware, or AOL installed...

    http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/...202/article.pl

    They have other Via C7 options. Low power, small laptops, and power
    friendly workstations...

    It's funny that a PC with a low price, and no crapware can be a story,
    but there it is. I'd be interested in seeing it load 4.1 or -
    current. Maybe I can sneak down to Wal-Mart and look at them, maybe
    take an install disc with me...

  10. Re: VIA C7 server

    Bryan wrote:
    > **update**
    >
    > Slashdot is reporting of a sub-300 dollar Everex workstation with the
    > Via C7 chipset in them... It has vista basic, and OO.org. No
    > crapware, or AOL installed...
    >
    > http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/...202/article.pl
    >
    > They have other Via C7 options. Low power, small laptops, and power
    > friendly workstations...
    >
    > It's funny that a PC with a low price, and no crapware can be a story,
    > but there it is. I'd be interested in seeing it load 4.1 or -
    > current. Maybe I can sneak down to Wal-Mart and look at them, maybe
    > take an install disc with me...

    Now, where is that live CD image on a USB stick we were talking about
    not too long ago?

    --
    clvrmnky

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.

  11. Re: VIA C7 server

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:55:35 +0000, Bryan wrote:

    > Slashdot is reporting of a sub-300 dollar Everex workstation with the Via
    > C7 chipset in them... It has vista basic, and OO.org. No crapware, or
    > AOL installed...

    vista basic? I thought you said it had no crapware installed?

  12. Re: VIA C7 server

    On Jul 19, 10:24 pm, "mr.b" wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:55:35 +0000, Bryan wrote:
    > > Slashdot is reporting of a sub-300 dollar Everex workstation with the Via
    > > C7 chipset in them... It has vista basic, and OO.org. No crapware, or
    > > AOL installed...

    > vista basic? I thought you said it had no crapware installed?

    The "crap ware" of which I refer is the "TRY AOL 10" and "Dell
    MusicMatch Jukebox", and Try this AV program for 30 days, then you
    have to buy the rootkit that comes with it.

    If I was buying this, Vista would last as long as the cardboard this
    thing came in. Plus, depending on the wind in your area, the cd
    should get about 100 feet on a good toss...

  13. Re: VIA C7 server

    On Jul 19, 7:46 pm, Clever Monkey
    wrote:
    > Bryan wrote:
    > > **update**

    > > Slashdot is reporting of a sub-300 dollar Everex workstation with the
    > > Via C7 chipset in them... It has vista basic, and OO.org. No
    > > crapware, or AOL installed...

    > >http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/...202/article.pl

    > > They have other Via C7 options. Low power, small laptops, and power
    > > friendly workstations...

    > > It's funny that a PC with a low price, and no crapware can be a story,
    > > but there it is. I'd be interested in seeing it load 4.1 or -
    > > current. Maybe I can sneak down to Wal-Mart and look at them, maybe
    > > take an install disc with me...

    > Now, where is that live CD image on a USB stick we were talking about
    > not too long ago?
    >
    > --
    > clvrmnky
    >
    > Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    > contact me directly.

    Just installl the full version on a 4GB thumbdrive, or get a 6GB
    microdrive. That's all you need, really... 4.1 is so great...

    I mean, I'm paranoid enough to not want to use a "live CD", when a
    thumbdrive is a smaller footprint...

+ Reply to Thread