Device Configuration Problem - BSD

This is a discussion on Device Configuration Problem - BSD ; I have two identical devices (tuner0, tuner1), both created by MAKEDEV, which are used in conjunction with bktr0 and bktr1 (also created by MAKEDEV) by fxtv. Both bktr0 and bktr1 work well with videod, but not with fxtv, which also ...

  1. Device Configuration Problem

    I have two identical devices (tuner0, tuner1), both created by MAKEDEV, which
    are used in conjunction with bktr0 and bktr1 (also created by MAKEDEV) by fxtv.
    Both bktr0 and bktr1 work well with videod, but not with fxtv, which also uses
    tuner devices. Tuner0 works fine with bktr0, but every time I try to use bktr1,
    fxtv terminates after printing an error message saying that tuner1 is not
    configured. Neither of the video capture cards I am using have tuners
    installed, so at first glance tuner* should not be accessed at all. However,
    it appears that some ioctls which control bktr video capture are accessed
    through the tuner device. It would be nice if I could get fxtv to work with
    bktr1 instead of rewriting the tvcapture module used by fxtv.

    My understanding is that devices (e.g. /dev/tuner*) are configured by OpenBSD
    kernel at boot time. Why is tuner0, but not tuner1, initialized by OpenBSD?

    What do I need to do to get tuner1 to be initialized and work with fxtv?

    Thanks,
    Dave Feustel
    --
    Don't Worry. Be Happy.

  2. Re: Device Configuration Problem

    On Jul 2, 7:34 am, dave wrote:
    > I have two identical devices (tuner0, tuner1), both created by MAKEDEV, which
    > are used in conjunction with bktr0 and bktr1 (also created by MAKEDEV) by fxtv.
    > Both bktr0 and bktr1 work well with videod, but not with fxtv, which also uses
    > tuner devices. Tuner0 works fine with bktr0, but every time I try to use bktr1,
    > fxtv terminates after printing an error message saying that tuner1 is not
    > configured. Neither of the video capture cards I am using have tuners
    > installed, so at first glance tuner* should not be accessed at all. However,
    > it appears that some ioctls which control bktr video capture are accessed
    > through the tuner device. It would be nice if I could get fxtv to work with
    > bktr1 instead of rewriting the tvcapture module used by fxtv.
    >
    > My understanding is that devices (e.g. /dev/tuner*) are configured by OpenBSD
    > kernel at boot time. Why is tuner0, but not tuner1, initialized by OpenBSD?
    >
    > What do I need to do to get tuner1 to be initialized and work with fxtv?

    cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV tuner1

  3. Re: Device Configuration Problem

    tedu wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 7:34 am, dave wrote:
    >> I have two identical devices (tuner0, tuner1), both created by MAKEDEV, which
    >> are used in conjunction with bktr0 and bktr1 (also created by MAKEDEV) by fxtv.
    >> Both bktr0 and bktr1 work well with videod, but not with fxtv, which also uses
    >> tuner devices. Tuner0 works fine with bktr0, but every time I try to use bktr1,
    >> fxtv terminates after printing an error message saying that tuner1 is not
    >> configured. Neither of the video capture cards I am using have tuners
    >> installed, so at first glance tuner* should not be accessed at all. However,
    >> it appears that some ioctls which control bktr video capture are accessed
    >> through the tuner device. It would be nice if I could get fxtv to work with
    >> bktr1 instead of rewriting the tvcapture module used by fxtv.

    > cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV tuner1
    >> My understanding is that devices (e.g. /dev/tuner*) are configured by OpenBSD

    I tried that; /dev/tuner1 was created, but fxtv still did not work with /dev/bktr1.

    --
    Don't Worry. Be Happy.

+ Reply to Thread